Update on Kizzy

5 posters

Go down

Update on Kizzy Empty Update on Kizzy

Post by loopyblonde Sun Mar 27 2011, 16:56

Hi,

Can I just say I love this board, I haven't posted much but have been an avid lurker!

Just thought I'd update you all on Kizzy, just to remind you I got her 4 weeks ago from my cousin after she'd been pretty much living in a kitchen with a dog flap and her brother for company. She'd mated with her brother and was then rehomed to us!

Well, we found out that there was an injection they can do up to 40 days after a mis-mating which would terminate the pregnancy, we decided that at only 11 months old this was the best thing to do all round. Kizzy had 2 injections which had to be 24 hours apart. She had a bit of goo come out over the next week and then that was it. The vet checked her over this week and said she feels nice and empty so it looks like the injections were successful. This week it was puppy jab time as she'd never been vaccinated either and she has another in a fortnight. Then I've also got to tackle worming and flea treatment as she's only ever had 1 worming tablet since birth.

We found that Kizzy is quite a nervous dog which had never been displayed at her previous home as I think she just relied on her brother for confidence. She began to have quite a go at a other dogs when we were out which had also never happened before, she had always been over submissive and just rolled on her back literally ever time a dog came near. I got myself really worried as I have small children that wouldn't leave her be and I was concerned she wouldn't be able to handle it and bite one of them. I also went on another dog forum and 90% of the people on there told me to put her in rescue asap as I was risking my kids etc etc.. So I got in a dog trainer for a one off session. My family have known her for years so I trusted her judgement. After spending some time with us she said we appear to have a lovely little dog, and that any nervousness would be helped by training classes (for her fears with dogs) and using some techniques at home to let her know her pack status..she even gave me some brilliant tips on sorting my unruly children!! so £100 later, I have signed up for 8 weeks of dog training and feel much more confident that she'll be ok.

She is a beautiful little chilled out girlie and a month on from getting her she's settled in pretty well. I even think a bit of the nastiness to other dogs has gone already and I'm now wondering if it was due to her hormones being a bit up the creek. Bless her little white socks!
loopyblonde
loopyblonde
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Update on Kizzy Empty Re: Update on Kizzy

Post by sooz225 Sun Mar 27 2011, 17:48

awwww she sounds lovely, well done for sticking with it and i'm sure you'll all have a great time together xxx
sooz225
sooz225
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Update on Kizzy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jake, Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27 2011, 19:49

well done, sounds like you have done everything right for her so far.
Love to see some photos

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Mar 27 2011, 20:29

What an amazing story, with a lot of time and patience Kizzy is developing into a settled dog, a fantastic start! Imagine being moved from home to home and through the ordeal, nice one for putting in the time, you get out what you put in, however long it takes. Hard work but so worth it Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27 2011, 20:45

Glad she is with you and safe now!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Mar 27 2011, 21:25

Awww thanks for the update, I bet shes gonna be a wonderful little dog now youve give her a good home, hope her brother is okay too
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27 2011, 21:42

Well done you sound like you are being a fantastic owner. It can be expensive at first but once they are done with injections etc then it doesn't seem as expensive when they are spread out over the year.
Im gonna book Blue in for some 1 on 1 training tomorrow and then hopefully into classes to help him with his dog aggression

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Mar 28 2011, 10:16

So glad you terminated the prgnancy, it wouldnt have been fair to let her have babies when she was only a baby herself! Looks like your doing a fantastic job, its normal for her to be a little nervous when she doesn't have another dog to rely on for confidence. Im sure you are right also about her hormones being all over the place after the injections, this would have cause her to be nervous and a bit snappy with other dogs.

Doesn't sound like shes got any major issues and you are obviously willing to put in the work with her. Well done and good luck Im sure she will repay nyou with pure devotion Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28 2011, 11:10

loopyblonde wrote: I also went on another dog forum and 90% of the people on there told me to put her in rescue asap as I was risking my kids etc etc..

That's a bit defeatist, isn't it? Wow, lots of help there.

So glad you didn't take their advice, she sounds like she just needs some confidence which you seem to be giving her! Big Grin Don't forget to post some pics, we'd love to see her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down