Hooligans!

+2
Kathy
Rupertsbooks
6 posters

Go down

Hooligans! Empty Hooligans!

Post by Ticklymac Mon May 27 2013, 17:21

Been rather down lately, my two have turned into total hooligans the past couple of weeks! Laidback Leroy has really came out his shell and now all he does is bark and cry and howl, and has started pulling like hell when we'r out on a walk, i just don't know whats happened!!
Diesel's recall was getting slightly dodgy and i put that down to me paying more attention into training Leroy that keeping an eye on her. But i let her off today and she was just a total pest! First she ran off chasing pigeons, called her back....ignored, then she bolted up the path round the corner...a woman had her dog on lead and kind of pulled it in to her side so i shouted Diesel....ignored! at first i thought she was comin back but then she ran up the hill to the canal and started running round some cyclist havin a break!! shouted her and she just made a b-line for the woman with the dog on lead...luckily for all the woman was holdin it in like it had problems it was fine with Diesel but it was just SO embarrassing and before i could grab her she was away again! bolting away to see two other dogs!! An the whole time this is going on Leroy is pulling and panting like a deranged beast!! An everyones bound to be thinking that if i'v got the sense to keep him on lead why did i let the other one off!?!
Eventually i got her back, put her back on her lead and continued my walk.....with a few making the comment of "who's walking who" so emabarrassing but nothing i could do would calm them down!! I dont want to s

I really don't know whats going on! Leroy seemed so calm and good and now he's a hooligan pulling everywhere, if he sees a cat there is no distracting him at all....i've taken him back inside for 10/15mins came back out and he's still looking for it!! If you try and turn the other way he just pulls in that direction, if you try stopping til he stops pulling he'll just start whinning then full blown barking and going mental!
I'm starting to think its me? Like i put Diesel's hyperactivity down to her personality but now Leroys becoming hyperactive too......
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Hooligans! Empty Re: Hooligans!

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 17:36

Sounds like they're both pushing the boundaries, back to basics, lots of patience (I mean lots) Laughing and persistence should help them get back on track. Smile good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon May 27 2013, 18:36

Yeah it sounds like you need to practice their training more. I would invest in a training line until your able to go off lead safely. More exercise may help too, as they say a tired dog is a good dog! What are they fed on?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 27 2013, 18:45

Yes, agree with the above. Two steps forward, one step back.

Rupert knows when he annoys me and he knows when he will pay for it as I put him on lead immediately or else, if I'm at home, shut him in my room for - torture! - a minute or two. Your two will know that they are annoying you. Freedom has to be earned, I think. And if they're being pains then they get less freedom.

It will get better.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 27 2013, 18:53

(.... and we all have days like this. The worst in recent memory was when Rupert enthusiastically jumped up on a jogger wearing an iPhone. She hadn't seen or heard him and he must have looked terrifying which is why, I suppose, she then started screaming. It was terrible.)
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 27 2013, 18:58

You could try taking them out separately and doing some extra individual training. My 2 can be rascals too, it's awful it put you off going out sometimes! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon May 27 2013, 21:37

Chiara wrote:You could try taking them out separately and doing some extra individual training. My 2 can be rascals too, it's awful it put you off going out sometimes! Big Grin

I was also about to suggest the same as this, it may be helpful to walk them separately and give them individual time with you.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon May 27 2013, 22:52

They are both fed raw, iv been off work an its been nice so the start of last week they were out 3-4hrs walkin/playin an still when I came in they'r non-stop! Near the end of the week it was gettin too hot for them so they were only gettin out for half hr walks.

Leroy was doin so well, when we got him he walked great round the streets, an if he was on his long line he knew he could only go so far. Now hes just so wound up everytime he goes out, an distracted by every little noise...

I think am just feeling so deflated, am goin to college this year to do animal care an then hopefully animal behaviour and all I can think is "if I cant even control my own 2 how am I gonna help all the other ones out there!?"
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon May 27 2013, 22:55

With Leroy I know it sound stupid but its as if life with us has opened up all these new doors to him...happy life with good food, cuddles attention someone to play with a dog to play with an now he's like "ooooo what else is out there? What else can I play with?"
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue May 28 2013, 13:31

Agree with others, not much more to add. Back to basics and walk separately, change of routine may have something to do with it also if you said you were off work for a week? Try not to feel too bad on yourself, everybody has set backs but I'm sure you can get back on track. Leroy's probably just settled now and figuring himself out, it's a good thing if anything but needs to be channeled in a positive way Smile Good luck x
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Tue May 28 2013, 14:21

Louby started off really nice, and she was quiet, hardly ever barked, was still giddy but nice with it. But now....I think her confidence has gone up since being with us, so now she pulls on the lead, she barks quite alot and is really quite a terror. She lured us into a false sense of security thats for sure..
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hooligans! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue May 28 2013, 21:44

I'm sure it will get better. They're only young and they will calm down soon. Perhaps separate them for five minutes when you get home so they know they are to calm down quickly.

They're also - as you said - getting used to their new-found circumstances. So give it two weeks. It won't change from one day to the next. And be firm. When they misbehave - they're back on lead and home. Don't talk to them either - they hate that.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Tue May 28 2013, 23:58

Thanks for all your support!
I think maybe am too soft sometimes. Thing that's worse is in my area there r a lot of neds/chavs an am sure u can all guess their dog of choice.....staffy /staffy x they all walk about with them off lead an the dogs just toddle along by their side not getting distracted by anything, the owners go in shops don't tie the dog up an it just stands waitin on them an generally it looks like the owners couldn't give a monkeys!! Now not that u can judge someone's dog training experience on looks these ppl don't look like the next Caesar Milan (just a famous example)
It seems to me like, ignore yor dog an it will calmly follow u devotedly, love your dog an give it attention an its a hyperactive hooligan!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed May 29 2013, 10:07

It's possible that you are a bit too soft - only you can know. There's nothing wrong with being cross with your dogs, especially if they let you down in a public place. I think positive training is the way to go but dogs also need to know there are consequences (like the silent treatment or no more park) when they have selective deafness or ignore their owners.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed May 29 2013, 13:31

I'm sure you'll get them back on track, we all have tough periods with our beloveds!! Laughing
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed May 29 2013, 22:31

Am not soft on training, an they will listen to me more than my oh but I dunno if am too soft when we're just sitting about the house, lots of attention an always by my side ge ttin petted when I'm on the couch . Am thinking of getting a trainer in just go see where am going wrong? Theyr r my first dogs but I've always watched dog training programs, watched videos on you tube and got advice on here. Its like I know all the theories but in practise its just not there...
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Jun 06 2013, 21:10

You are very conscientious - you will get there. And they will thank you for it.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down