Head crack / skull crack?

3 posters

Go down

Head crack / skull crack? Empty Head crack / skull crack?

Post by Pestey Mon May 20 2013, 14:30

first of all I apologise if this is not in the correct area, but I put it here as it involves the health.

over the past few weeks I heard a few people in the public ask me about when Diesel's head will crack worried
mainly because his head is small........

I spoke to my brother as he also has a staff named Munch, and he does live by his name rolling on the floor . Munch is almost 4 and is HUGE! KC registered and can be traced back 5 gens. his skull is enormous. but when I asked him he said he did not notice it happen.

am what I'm hearing a load of cobblers or is it a real thing? looking at some male staff's that live around here, their heads are also pretty large.

if it is called head crack / skull crack will it be painful or does it just happen with ease, or could it be the head muscles getting so large it's been given this name?

on a side note, Diesel's parents are both big, dad is huge and mum is a irish staff ooooooops meant to say staff angel found that second part out yesterday after some investigating and some serious questioning to the mums owners!
Pestey
Pestey
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 4months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Head crack / skull crack? Empty Re: Head crack / skull crack?

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 14:36

A stafford's skull doesn't crack! All that happens is that the muscles that support his considerable jaws form fully & meet at the top of his head, creating that furrow that we all recognise in a staff!

Your pup is just that - a pup. He won't reach his full height until he's about a year or so old, and he'll then start to fill out & muscle up until he's about 2 & a half to 3 years old.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon May 20 2013, 14:38

Load of cobblers to be honest, there head/skull doesn't crack but the muscles around the head mature and develop, which give the look that it has cracked. Zeus got the dip in the middle of his head when he was around 8/9 months old but his head has only starting to grow bigger now at 15 months, so give it some time.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Pestey Mon May 20 2013, 15:06

oh thank god for that, for a minute I had visions of sleepless nights because he'd be in agony.
Pestey
Pestey

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 4months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 15:18

No....sleepless nights cause he's being a pain in the *, but not cause his head's cracking! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 15:30

Laughing caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 20 2013, 19:49

Caryll wrote:A stafford's skull doesn't crack! All that happens is that the muscles that support his considerable jaws form fully & meet at the top of his head, creating that furrow that we all recognise in a staff!

Your pup is just that - a pup. He won't reach his full height until he's about a year or so old, and he'll then start to fill out & muscle up until he's about 2 & a half to 3 years old.

So glad you got to this one before me Cazza whew! Laughing

(no offense to OP, its just one of my biggest bugbares in staffy mythology at wits end ) ... and there jaws dont lock either before anyone ask's/tells you they do Pestey Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 19:59

shame on you shame on you shame on you Sorry everyone but I don't believe you , Staffy's heads do split as my boy told me so and he is an expert because someone told him and he owns an English Bull Mastiff, so it must be right mustn't it not listening

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 20 2013, 20:05

Laughing .. I've heard them all mate over the years at wits end .. from "they were bred to hunt and kill bulls" ( rolling on the floor ) to "they have big heads and strong jaws because they were originally bred to herd cattle and bite at their hooves" .... Surprised .... REALLY????

doh
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 20:23

They hunt bulls in packs thats why I have 2 , Tilly runs through their legs to confuse and disorientate them , Tommy them just puts a sneeky leg out and BAM , 1 bull (or maye cow) down and Dave ets the barbecue out

Can't fail

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 20 2013, 20:29

Laughing ... on fire tonight shag Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 20:43

Honestly, there are more urban myths around Staffies than for any other dog, I have found. I'm often asked "has his skull split yet" (that phrase just makes me feel so sick). No, I say, their skulls don't split. Oh yes they do I am earnestly assured (even from Staffy owners). Only second to that is the "jaws locking" myth. Good grief, what do they think our poor dogs go through with their heads exploding and their jaws getting stuck. And with all this trauma going on, the poor dogs are supposed to hunt bulls as well I dont want to s

Jeez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 20:45

Andy wrote: Laughing .. I've heard them all mate over the years at wits end .. from "they were bred to hunt and kill bulls" ( rolling on the floor ) to "they have big heads and strong jaws because they were originally bred to herd cattle and bite at their hooves" .... Surprised .... REALLY????
doh

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Lynda wrote:Good grief, what do they think our poor dogs go through with their heads exploding and their jaws getting stuck. And with all this trauma going on, the poor dogs are supposed to hunt bulls as well I dont want to s

Jeez

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 20:47

Andy wrote: Laughing ... on fire tonight shag Laughing

Double Team em Andy Laughing we'll make the B*******s laugh >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down