Play

2 posters

Go down

Play Empty Play

Post by Bruno311210 Mon Mar 21 2011, 15:03

Hi

As most of the regulars know i have a 11 weeks blue staffy and i wonder if anyone can help me, sure you can Big Grin

Bruno keeps inviting me to play tug of war with his toys, but my OH says if we play this it will make Bruno aggressive, as when he plays like this he growls but i am sure it is just playing growl . So at the moment soon as he growls I let him win.
We don't want him to turn out aggressive .

thanks Anne xx
Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Play Empty Re: Play

Post by Nosipho Mon Mar 21 2011, 16:20

Playing tug will not make him aggresive, he is only play growling, even if he were playing with another dog in this manner they would growl at one another.

If you do play tug with him though dont let him win all the time, especially not when he growls (you may reinforce that growling means he will get what he wants). when you have had enough calmly ask him to drop, when he does you can give him the toy back (kind of like a reward for dropping in the first place)
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 16:22

It's play growling, pure & simple. You'll notice that his tail will probably be wagging, his lips will be over his teeth & his eyes will be bright & friendly.

It's often considered best to only let your dog win 25% maximum of tug of wars, but I've never found it a problem. My last 5 dogs have all been WAY stronger than me & were always winning tug of wars, and none of them became aggressive.

It's a great way of tiring them out as well, as they tend to put so much effort into it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down