Cut Paw

Go down

Cut Paw Empty Cut Paw

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 17:01

Loki managed to cut his paw playing with his Boomer Ball. It's on the side of one of his 'toes,' so almost in between. It isn't too bad. He actually did it the other day but couldn't see it so assumed it had healed, but he's obviously re-opened it. I was wondering if I should do anything, or it should be OK on its own? Also, should I leave taking him to the beach until it's healed, because sand might get in it?

Back to top Go down

Cut Paw Empty Re: Cut Paw

Post by janey Wed May 08 2013, 17:06

Warm salt water to rinse it and it will heal up nicely, only you know where it is/how bad it is Tara for going to the beach, if its a small cut go for it Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 17:18

A saline solution should prevent infection and clean it, but I'd stay away from sand if I were you. If sand enters the injury, it could become sealed inside and cause an infection.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 17:40

Thanks Smile I just checked again, I'm not even sure if it's a cut or just a graze; after five seconds he decides enough is enough and nibbles my hand Rolling Eyes but I'll do the salt water and keep an eye on it. Thanks both of you, it's his first injury at all, we almost made it a year Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 08 2013, 17:53

Well done Big Grin Christ Moo has seen her fair share at the vets Laughing I don't panic anymore lol Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 17:56

If Blue cuts his paw and it's not too bad I will just go for a stroll the next few days and not do things like play fetch as things like that just open them back up. Hope it is alright, wouldn't wanna miss out on a beach trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 19:01

When Milton had his cut on his paw caused by licking, I rinsed it with salt water, dried it, put Germolene on it and covered it with a baby sock, held in place with some fabric tape and changed it 3 times a day. It healed very quickly that way, so if there is a cut there, that might work for you too Smile I also took him to the beach with his sock on to prevent any sand getting in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 19:15

Good advice from Chris, but I would advise against Germolene. It tends to be too abrasive for use with dogs - I'd stick to a milder one like Savlon, if you want to use something like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 19:26

Aww hope Loki is ok and his paw heals soon it would be such a shame to miss his birthday at the beach Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum