Following on from the post regarding memory...

5 posters

Go down

Following on from the post regarding memory... Empty Following on from the post regarding memory...

Post by cesca1 Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:02

Molly will leave a stick when she becomes interested in another exciting smell/activity but then a field or two later will sprint to the exact location of where she put the stick and sprint back to us.

Now I don't want her doing this (as i think she wonders a tad far, we are working on recall constantly) but the determination/memory does impress me. She knows exactly where she is going when she runs back.

We used to walk through the same field each morning where she found a rotten rabbit (it was mainly bones and dried out skin/fur-she tried to play fetch with it) and every walk she would systematically scan the field in order to find the new position of said rotten rabbit, the field was big! Most days she was successful.

Does anyone elses dog do anything like this?! Just wondered.

cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Following on from the post regarding memory... Empty Re: Following on from the post regarding memory...

Post by Ben Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:07

Yes. It is quite normal for them. Mine unfortunately remember each house that has a dog in the backyard that comes to the fence as we walk by. They "look" for the dogs every single time and that can also be a challenge. You have to change the routine but sometimes the instinct/memory is fantastic. Sometimes we never really know what is going on but something triggers and there is relationships they remember quite well.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Following on from the post regarding memory... Empty Re: Following on from the post regarding memory...

Post by janey Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:07

Yes, we play seek games in the wood, needs 2 of you, one to disappear off with said stick/toy (or rabbit in your case Laughing ), and hide it, then to let Moo go track, its great stimulation and as Molly enjoys it it also keeps them focused Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:29

Great idea to make it into a game Smile The only issue I have at present is I never know when the lovely madam is going to balt because she 'forgot' to bring her toy with her!!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:31

Laughing Moo see's a squirrel and vanishes for minutes! The joy (as long as they are safe) Xx Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:32

Loki knows what house has the over-excitable Border Collie that barks at every dog that walks past, knows what places the cats wander around in, knows where the bones are usually thrown about in the field, etc. So yeah, it's a case of trying to also remember and beat them to it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:45

My parents dobermann goes absolutely nuts for squirrels - full pace charge!

I can't help but be majorly impressed when she runs off to fetch her stick!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:53

Clever little things Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:14

Yes Logan does thing like that too. He is really good at hide n seek and picked up up in a few hours. Maybe something in the breed because I could never do anything like that with dogs before?

Also, great idea to make it a game! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 11 2013, 21:15

This is not quite finding a stick again but still using memory. Rocky always remembers exactly where he has seen rabbits before and will go bonkers a day or two later if he sees them there again. He knows where they should be and scans the area for them again.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 21:22

Dempsey's a pain in the a*se when he sniffs out a really good smell! I'll take him away from it & carry on walking for an hour or even more, but on the way back he'll home in on it without fail!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Apr 11 2013, 21:41

Rupes is also good at hide and seek. I say "where is it?" and he goes nuts - he is not a quitter. I thought all dogs did that.

Memory - I think there's the extra dimension of their incredible sense of smell. I don't think it is possible to imagine what life would be like if you had a dog's nose. I find it fascinating when Rupert goes back to find something he left behind - the way he does it. It's very different from how a human being would do it - sort of circling with his nose but from very far away, homing in on it. Perhaps smells make imprints on their brains and that forms part of their memory in a way it only vaguely does ours. Maybe one part of the field smells really different from another bit. I've never met a blind dog - I would be interested to find out to what extent their sense of smell helps them to get their bearings/remember things.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 23:50

Before I adopted Milton, I was walking him near the rescue centre. There was a stick in the road, so I picked it up and tossed it into the hedge. He went towards it but never got to it, and we went back a different way. Two days later, when I next went up there and took him out, I'd forgotten about the stick but he went straight to it and came and dropped it at my feet Laughing I was pretty impressed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:16

squirrel havens and cat havens are all fondly remebered by my 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down