Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff

3 posters

Go down

Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff Empty Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff

Post by Wayneshell46 Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:16

Hi everyone I only just join on here want some help with are new member of the family we only had him for about 3 months all in all, he was my brothers I recused him from some people when he was a puppies but I could not cope with him and the his 3 year old lad bitch and 2 kids to much, so we taken him on but he is learning a few things, but when we take him for a walk he can be a pain want stop pulling but we want to let him off his lead but we don't know where to start. Can anyone help.
Wayneshell46
Wayneshell46
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bracken
Dog(s) Ages : 1year 3 months DOB11/01/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff Empty Re: Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:46

Welcome Big Grin how much exercise is he getting, how long are his walks?

To stop pulling, there are a few different methods. The most common one is to turn around as soon as your dog pulls. You can also stop (don't pull him back to you, just completely stop) and call him back to you before you carry on walking again. At first this can take a LOT of time, but you just have to be patient and consistent and he'll pick it up eventually.

As for letting him off the lead, I'd suggest getting him a long line, you can buy them online, they're very long leads for running around. That way he can have a run around and you know he's safe and you're in control so he can't run off. To practice his recall, bring some tasty treats with you (preferably meaty ones like bits of hot dogs or sausages) and call him to you. If he doesn't come back as soon as you call him, pull on the long line a bit to get him back to you and once he comes to you, give him the treat and make a huge fuss of him in a happy voice. He'll soon learn Smile

Back to top Go down

Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff Empty Re: Help on training my 1 year and 3 months old male staff

Post by Sazzle Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:21

Hello and welcome to the forum Big Grin

Not much more I can add to Tara's advise but I can definitely recommend the training line 100% as I'm currently using one with Daisy and her recall is now improving a lot.

Maybe come and say hi

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:37

I use the stopping technique that Tara explained which works well. I also think training leads are great tool for helping both dog and owner Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:43

Hi and welcome,

Are you able to purchase a Canny Collar/halti for your dog, these devises can help to stop your dog from pulling but do also require training too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayneshell46 Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:03

Thank for the advice we try this things out and well get back to u to let u know how we are getting on
Wayneshell46
Wayneshell46

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bracken
Dog(s) Ages : 1year 3 months DOB11/01/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:07

Welcome from us and Suki. Tara gave excellent advice. Just be patient and consistant and he will get there

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down