+5
narbar123
janey
Mattylee
StuW
Kathy
9 posters

Go down

Staffy was on bakers, now want something better Empty Staffy was on bakers, now want something better

Post by narbar123 Sun Apr 07 2013, 12:59

Hi, we have always fed our Staffy on bakers but recently read all the bad reviews and want something better, we have been recommended wainwrights and a more expensive option fish4dogs. But these are not specifically for Staffys just good dog food in general. Can you guys recommend these or something else? thanks Dean
narbar123
narbar123
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Bronson and Sid
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years and 5 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Both Boys
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy was on bakers, now want something better Empty Re: Staffy was on bakers, now want something better

Post by Kathy Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:02

Any of the foods listed below would be recommended by us. Rocky is eating Barking Heads TLC which he loves and always eats up:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Staffy was on bakers, now want something better Empty Re: Staffy was on bakers, now want something better

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:03

Hi, well done on getting off the Bakers. You'll see a lot of improvements!

Wainwrights and Fish4Dogs are great foods. Don't worry about them not being breed specific, anything breed specific is generally just a gimmick and not worth it.

I feed James Wellbeloved and it works really well for Logan. It's hypoallergenic, grain free and really well priced thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:05

You don't need a food specifically for Staffs. I've had Loki on Wainwright's all his life and have never had any issues with it, he loves it Big Grin and Fish4Dogs I haven't used, but I've heard nothing but good things from those that do use it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:10

Wainwrights is fine - a good, mid-priced food. 3000% better than Bakers! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:13

Moo did very well on fish4dogs Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by narbar123 Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:16

thanks for all the replies, our staffys very fussy so I may have to try and get samples of everything recommended above to see what he likes the best!
narbar123
narbar123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:44

Its sometimes best not to swap and change too much, find a good quality food and stick to it Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sun Apr 07 2013, 13:44

I feed raw, but I can't recommend Eden enough! Brilliant food at a pretty reasonable price!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 14:01

My 2 are both on Wainwrights now for the 2nd time , we had a few months on Fish 4 dogs but they changed their recipe and I came away from it. We didn't experience any problems on it but it was just highlighted it had changed a little from what I started out on

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Sun Apr 07 2013, 14:36

Can't speak highly enough of arden grange. Just in the process of changing over and Lola can't get enough of it. All depends on ur budget though.
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by narbar123 Sun Apr 07 2013, 15:11

wainwrights is probably what ill try, but im going to go to a local pet store and see if they have any of the other foods recommended by you guys before I decide as the only other option I have is whats in pet city
narbar123
narbar123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 07 2013, 15:54

I buy all my food online, cheaper, delivered and all the choice you want Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by narbar123 Sun Apr 07 2013, 17:05

ive just been pet city and brought some James Wellbeloved and Bronson loves it. I was wondering which places online or in stores sell them at the best prices? Pet city pricing was 50 pound for 15kg, thanks Dean
narbar123
narbar123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 17:35

narbar123 wrote:ive just been pet city and brought some James Wellbeloved and Bronson loves it. I was wondering which places online or in stores sell them at the best prices? Pet city pricing was 50 pound for 15kg, thanks Dean

That's what I feed and it really is a good food. Do you have a pets at home near you. It's always on special there.

Back to top Go down

Post by narbar123 Sun Apr 07 2013, 17:46

yea that's where I got it from just, they had a offer on the 2.5 kg packs that if you brought 2 you only had to pay 13 pound
narbar123
narbar123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07 2013, 17:54

narbar123 wrote:yea that's where I got it from just, they had a offer on the 2.5 kg packs that if you brought 2 you only had to pay 13 pound

That's what I get. It works well for Logan. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by narbar123 Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:45

thank you all again for all your help Big Grin
narbar123
narbar123

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:47

pleased you have found a decent food for the pupster Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Tue Apr 09 2013, 15:14

Hmmm, i'm reading this and thinking i've been really rubbish.
I feed mine Bakers plus a 3rd of a tin of pedigree meat to make it more interesting.
Do you just feed them the dry food and thats it?
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy was on bakers, now want something better Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 21:40

Mrs McFisher wrote:Hmmm, i'm reading this and thinking i've been really rubbish.
I feed mine Bakers plus a 3rd of a tin of pedigree meat to make it more interesting.
Do you just feed them the dry food and thats it?

Don't feel bad - their advertising campaigns make it look like it's the best food around!

You can feed the dry on its own, or some people add things to it to make it more interesting. You could add some sardines (in oil or tomato sauce), a raw egg or even some good quality wet dog food. Wainwrights do a tray which is apparently quite good.

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:01

"You can feed the dry on its own, or some people add things to it to make it more interesting. You could add some sardines (in oil or tomato sauce), a raw egg or even some good quality wet dog food. Wainwrights do a tray which is apparently quite good."

This is what I do, I feed raw the best I can but It's usually off the bone so I give them a handful of dry so they have something to chew on. Sardines are cheap if you go to morrisons you get about 10 for £3, I give a couple every few days, If I cook chops or steaks I always defrost one extra for Stig and if we have cooked breakfast he has bacon, sausage and scrambled egg with a bit of grated cheese, I don't usually buy meat specifically for Stig but everyday he will get something to go with the dry,raw eggs are great too.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:05

stig wrote:

"You can feed the dry on its own, or some people add things to it to make it more interesting. You could add some sardines (in oil or tomato sauce), a raw egg or even some good quality wet dog food. Wainwrights do a tray which is apparently quite good."

This is what I do, I feed raw the best I can but It's usually off the bone so I give them a handful of dry so they have something to chew on. Sardines are cheap if you go to morrisons you get about 10 for £3, I give a couple every few days, If I cook chops or steaks I always defrost one extra for Stig and if we have cooked breakfast he has bacon, sausage and scrambled egg with a bit of grated cheese, I don't usually buy meat specifically for Stig but everyday he will get something to go with the dry,raw eggs are great too.

Raw shouldn't be fed in the same meal as dry. Can cause stomach problems due to the different digestion times. Bacon is far too salty to give to your dog!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:24

StuW wrote:
Raw shouldn't be fed in the same meal as dry. Can cause stomach problems due to the different digestion times. Bacon is far too salty to give to your dog!

I dont want to s Been feeding him that way since I had him! feel a bit guilty now. Are small amounts of bacon bad too? He has 2 rashers once every couple of week.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:35

Some people don't have problems feeding in the same meal, but it can cause problems! Raw eggs are fine to add to kibble, same with tins of sardines etc as there cooked! Small amounts probably wouldn't be that bad I don't think, just something I wouldn't give lol!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:37

I wouldn'r give any bacon at all, but neither would I give much sausage, either. Bacon's too salty & sausages (generally) are too highly seasoned/spiced.

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:38

Caryll wrote:I wouldn'r give any bacon at all, but neither would I give much sausage, either. Bacon's too salty & sausages (generally) are too highly seasoned/spiced.

Good point, didn't think of that!!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:49

We always cook an extra sausage or rasher of bacon for Louby. This may only be once a week that we have these though.
When you give a chop/steak, do you cook it first or give it to your dog raw?
I cant get my head around the raw egg thing...
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 13:54

Mrs McFisher wrote:We always cook an extra sausage or rasher of bacon for Louby. This may only be once a week that we have these though.
When you give a chop/steak, do you cook it first or give it to your dog raw?
I cant get my head around the raw egg thing...

I wouldn't give bacon and as been said sausages are a no go aswell! In any case once a week is far too much.
Everything raw. Although I wouldn't give a chop or steak to my dogs!
What is it about raw eggs you can't get your head around lol?
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:05

I have to say im learning so much from here, and its only been over the last couple of days.
I have changed her food, how i play with her and what snacks we give her...and im going to be changing her harness to a Halti..
I shall even try her with an egg tonight!!
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:07

At least you're taking on board the advice you're getting! So many people come on here and don't listen to people giving good, solid advice!
She might not take to the egg at first, I found cracking it into the dogs bowls and lightly mixing it up helped!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:11

I need all the help i can get! ha ha.
Thank you for your advice, i certainly do/will take info on board, anything to make mine and my baby's life easier...i dont want me ot her to end up another staffy statistic, and i certainly am not going to give up on her, thats why ended up with her...x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:22

The idea of giving Loki a raw egg, shell included, was weird to me at first, but he crunched it up and ate it all no problem Big Grin makes their meal a bit different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:39

wont the shell cut their mouths?
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:41

No they can handle the shell pretty well!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:13

I may have to try Daisy with a raw egg for a change, I always scramble hers!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:22

Ive never tried raw egg either - just literally crack into the bowl with their food?

Back to top Go down

Post by zoe2004 Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:28

I used Fish4dogs very good food, - if you join the puppy club (free) you get a discount on puppy food and lasts prob about 6 weeks or so a big bag.
zoe2004
zoe2004
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 03/06/12
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:29

You don't even need to crack it! Safer though, unless you want raw egg all over the floor Laughing I crack the egg in their bowl but don't give the shell as it is, I dry them out and crush them to a powder and put a tea spoon of powdered shell in!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:35

StuW wrote:You don't even need to crack it! Safer though, unless you want raw egg all over the floor Laughing I crack the egg in their bowl but don't give the shell as it is, I dry them out and crush them to a powder and put a tea spoon of powdered shell in!

Dont really fancy raw egg all over my kitchen Laughing

Well Ill def try this then, thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 23:43

We feed a raw egg everyday here intact in the shell so they have to break it themselves Big Grin nom nom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down