Hi guys

2 posters

Go down

Sad Hi guys

Post by michelle Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:08

I am having a problem with my Staffy He is such a big dog he's only three years old. The problem is other dogs he really pulls on his lead, any suggestions he so adorable we love him to bits. Do you think having him done will calm him down. He is such a big part of the family Smile

michelle
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Hi guys

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:15

I've moved your post to training and behaviour Smile

No, sadly getting him neutered won't help with that. The only thing that will cure it is training and repetition.

Many of our members have had different ways to deal with pulling. For me and Logan the way it worked was as soon as he started pulling, stop walking and wait until he calms, correct him with a "no" if needed, then once he has calmed start walking again. It takes you to repeat it quite a bit but does work Smile

Also, it might be worth getting a long training lead to allow him to burn off his extra energy by getting a good run around an open area Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:19

Thanks Matt new to the site only posted once before thanks for advice will keep this in mind.

michelle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:21

No problem Smile

Other members have had good success by turning and walking the other way when the dog starts to pull. Which is also a good idea.

Just have a go and have as much patience as possible.

Sadly, neutering won't help with anything like that Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:24

We've been using the technique matt suggested as well as a long training lead which darcy absolutely loves, she can really run round and explore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:28

As well as the above suggestions, the 'watch me' command is good too. Try it at home first when there are no distractions. Hold a treat to your face and say 'watch,' and as soon as he looks as you praise him and give him the treat. Keep doing that until he understands what watch means, then he should look at you as soon as you say it even without holding up a treat. Then work on increasing the amount of time he looks at you for. Then start working on it while there are distractions, and go from there until he looks at you when you see another dog Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Apr 06 2013, 21:54

I'm training Daisy with a similar technique to Tara, getting them to look at you waiting for your next command, this works with training all skills.

You start by getting them infront of you and feeding lots of treats one after another, then stop, as soon as they look at you say 'yes' (that's my marker word then giive another treat. Extend then time between treats and they should still be looking at you for the next one. Then you build in the commands, sit, down, heel etc. This works with lead walking because they should be at the side of you looking, waiting for your next command.

Also you really need to concentrate on always having a loose lead, each time you allow him to pull you are reinforcing that behaviour ie he associates it to getting to where he wants to go.

I hope that all made sense?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451