playing or fighting?

4 posters

Go down

playing or fighting? Empty playing or fighting?

Post by Ticklymac Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:09

So i've decided to look into getting a playmate for Diesel, although i play with her every day i think she would really love someone of her own species to rough and tumble with. She is just such a happy playful wee sole and sadly due to good old staffy stigma not a lot of ppl are willing to let their dog play with mine - it makes me so sad Crying or Very sad
I'm currently volunteering at my local pound and gorgeous staffie lad as been brought in as a stray, he is reckoned to be about 2yrs old and seems really good natured. He will sit and give paw, doesn't pull on the lead and seems to love goofing about on the agility stuff (well shocked how easy he just ran up the ramps without any encouragement) I've took Diesel up to meet him a couple of times, took them on walks and let them play off lead in the run and they seem to get on well, so i've decided to bring him home this weekend to see how they get on.....
Obviously i am no dog behaviourist so was just looking on some advice about what is play and what is actually fighting?
Hes really good, if she has a toy he won't snatch it and if she gives him a wee growl he will back off, but when they are chasing and playing they are both quite vocal, ive seen staffies playing before and it seemed quite full on so kinda knew what to expect but its just hard to tell if it is getting violent?
also i am aware that when there is more than one dog in a house they will tend to fight slightly to see who top dog is?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

playing or fighting? Empty Re: playing or fighting?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:12

Staffords are generally rough and very vocal when they play so it could very well be play. Are you able to stop it ok when you feel it is too much?

Feel free to take a vid and post the link if you want anyone to have a look.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:21

i wont see him again til i go to bring home unfortunitly to take a vid. I know their outside play was just play and he seemed to listen to Diesel when she'd had enough.
Am more worried for when theyr in the house in case she gets territorial or too jealous. She has such a sweet sweet nature but would hate for that to change.
I tried them out with toys and treats to see if they'd share ok and everything was fine, so i'm maybe being a bit too worried/paranoid something will erupt.
I tried her with a wee staffie cross before and he went for her because i think he thought i was giving Diesel a treat so that was a no-no!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:24

I was initially worried when I saw Brutus playing with other dogs as I thought he was fighting. I then realised they play rough and so I now don't worry too much when he is playing. I do keep a very close eye on him though and if it looks like its getting out of control he gets a time out or he is called to me and told to sit for 30 seconds. Usually keeps him in line.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:30

My 2 are very rough at playing. They will headbutt each other, grab each others necks, ears, legs -anything, very vocal and play growling throughout.
They havent ever hurt each other beyond a few scratches.
I can stop them with a simple loud command.

So long as u are watching them, and step in if they are going on a bit then - fine.

I would caution allowing too much rough n tumble with ur new addition though - certainly don't leave them unsupervised.

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:39

Jackieb wrote:My 2 are very rough at playing. They will headbutt each other, grab each others necks, ears, legs -anything, very vocal and play growling throughout.
They havent ever hurt each other beyond a few scratches.
I can stop them with a simple loud command.

So long as u are watching them, and step in if they are going on a bit then - fine.

I would caution allowing too much rough n tumble with ur new addition though - certainly don't leave them unsupervised.

Yeh when Diesel is playing with her "cousin" (who is some kind of ridgeback cross) they are quite rough, growling biting cheeks, ears, legs.. but if it gets too much i usually just shout loudly and they stop, so all should be fine.
Any other advice people can give me on bringing a new dog into the home?

they wont be left alone at any point,, we purposely chose to do it this weekend as both my oh and i are off work all weekend. I also have a crate on standby just in case anything bad does happen and they need to be separated.
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:44

I'd keep both on a lead to start with and let them have a good sniff of each other. Maybe walk them both around the house and yard together. I've done that with Brutus when other dogs have visited and vice versa and seems to have worked well.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:51

Can't really give any advice because I've never had two dogs before, but I think, as you've seen Staffs playing before and know how rough they are, you'd be able to tell the difference between playing and fighting if you see it. He sounds like a lovely boy so I hope things go well, and take pictures for those of us who wish we could add another dog to the home Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:52

brutusindubai wrote:I'd keep both on a lead to start with and let them have a good sniff of each other. Maybe walk them both around the house and yard together. I've done that with Brutus when other dogs have visited and vice versa and seems to have worked well.

I dont have an offical garden, but was going to bring Diesel down into the grass in front of my flat where she usually does her business and let them meet there first, kinda on her turf first before going into the house.
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Apr 03 2013, 17:54

Tara wrote:Can't really give any advice because I've never had two dogs before, but I think, as you've seen Staffs playing before and know how rough they are, you'd be able to tell the difference between playing and fighting if you see it. He sounds like a lovely boy so I hope things go well, and take pictures for those of us who wish we could add another dog to the home Big Grin

Oh i most defo will be takin a sharing pics. Not got a name for him yet which is a shame, maybe he tell me it this weekend! at the mo we'r affectionately callin him "heed" cause he has a huge head hahaha
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 19:06

Mine are very rough when they play and Vinny is very vocal. It's taken a lot of getting used to and a lot of supervision - mostly to watch posturing etc. We try to quiet them down when it gets too much or distract them with something else and that usually calms them.

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Apr 03 2013, 19:55

Sounds like a good idea. A walk with both dogs will allow them to get to know each other on neutral territory before going home. Sounds like it will be great fun and you'll enjoy every minute of it.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 19:59

Put it this way i've had people scream at me that they are going to report me and phone the police as i'm fighting my dogs..... that's how rough my boys get.

However i know them and i know what is play for them and i can stop play with one word.

So yer bullys play very very rough and the noises they make you'd think someone was being murdered

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Apr 03 2013, 21:46

zone out the noise with anything other than a high pitched yelp they are very very vocal and it seems to be part of the play on who is the loudest.
The key is body language, you can tell when one has had enough by the stance and eyes, if you see whites seperate and let em chill for a while as thats a pre curser to your "peeing me off bit time now" so dont let it goto the next stage.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down