+2
goldie87
Stokester
6 posters

Go down

Pedigree/Wagg/Tesco dry food Empty Re: Pedigree/Wagg/Tesco dry food

Post by Stokester Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:20

[/quote]

Also, Pedigree isn't a very good food (neither is Wagg) and you could do a lot better for him with a food like Wainwrights (from Pets at Home) or another good quality, mid price range food.

[/quote]

Can you explain to me why pedigree or wagg isnt a verry good food?
Gary had it when he was little and he seemed very happy with it, he is healthy and a good weight and we dont have any behaviour problems other than the usual teenage strops that most staffys go through.

im quite interested in what harm pedigree or wagg can do and why its "not a very good food" because gary seemed alright with it.
Stokester
Stokester
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:21

Caryll wrote:Also, Pedigree isn't a very good food (neither is Wagg) and you could do a lot better for him with a food like Wainwrights (from Pets at Home) or another good quality, mid price range food.

Can you explain to me why pedigree or wagg isnt a verry good food?
Gary had it when he was little and he seemed very happy with it, he is healthy and a good weight and we dont have any behaviour problems other than the usual teenage strops that most staffys go through.

im quite interested in what harm pedigree or wagg can do and why its "not a very good food" because gary seemed alright with it.
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:34

There is very little premium meat content and far too many 'fillers' like cereals. I wouldn't give any dog food that doesn't have meat as its first ingredient.

Wagg Puppy Food ingredients.....

Composition
Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (15% chicken in chicken kibble), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils & Fats, Vegetables (4% peas in pea kibble), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals, Yeasts (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.03%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%).

Additives (Per Kg)
Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 12,000 iu, Vitamin D3 1,200 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 90 iu, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 40 mg, Iron lll Ferric Oxide 350 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 40 mg, Manganous Oxide 80 mg, Zinc Oxide 55 mg, Zinc Chelate 400 mg, Sodium Selenite 0.2 mg. *Colourants, Antioxidant, Preservative. *Colourants – from a mineral source found in nature.

Analytical Constituents
Protein 28%, Fat Content 10%, Crude Fibre 3%, Crude Ash 8.5%, Omega 6, 1.8%, Omega 3, 0.4%.

Pedigree Puppy Food ingredients...

Cereals (min. 14% Rice, min. 4% Maize),Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken in the Brown Kibble),Oils and Fats (min. 0.6% Fish Oil),Vegetable Protein Extracts ,Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (min. 4% Dried Beet Pulp),Minerals

Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A: 10000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E: 200 mg/kg, Total Copper (as Copper Sulphate): 16 mg/kg, Calcium 1.3%, Phosphorus 1%.EPA & DHA: 1600 mg/kg, Glucosamine: 150 mg/kg. With Colourants and Antioxidants(permitted EC Additives).Vitamin levels guaranteed until the best before date.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:54

at the moment gary is on tescos own complete, he has a bin dedicated for his food so weve filled that and i threw away the packaging so i dont know its ingredients, to me its just food which is cheap and that he likes so its a winner for me.
do you know anything about tescos own complete? and if its missing anything that youd reccomend that gary would need that i could just add to his current food.

like i say though gary seems healthy enough, hes a good weight and size for his age and he seems to enjoy his food he eats very well.
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 00:00

Tesco's Premium (I don't know which one you use) has the following as ingredients...

Cereals,Meat and Animal Derivatives (minimum 4% Beef in the Beef Component and minimum 4% Fresh Meat in the Semi Moist Component) ,Vegetable Protein Extracts ,Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (minimum 1% Charcoal in the Heart Shaped Component) ,Oil and Fats ,Various Sugars ,Minerals ,Yeasts ,Vegetables (minimum 4% Vegetables in the Vegetable Component). With Antioxidants ,Coloured and Preserved with EC Additives (on 15Kg bag ONLY: BHA, BHT, E153, E172, E172, E155, E202, E102, E133, E330, E338, E282, E200, E297, E471, E516, E551, E558).

As you can see, the first ingredient is cereals (it doesn't even say which ones) and very little meat content. Although you could add meat to the diet, you would upset the protein balance. Also, you can't take out the cereals, which would be my other concern.

Back to top Go down

Pedigree/Wagg/Tesco dry food Empty Pedigree/Wagg/Tesco dry food

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 00:01

I'm going to split these food comments away from the OP's thread, as it's a little off topic. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Tue Apr 02 2013, 00:19

yeh no dramas Smile
im just getting carried away, clearly you know alot more than me when it comes to doggy diets.

gary has twice a week mashed patatoe with tuna as his treat which he wolfes down he loves it,
if we do a sunday dinner and theres left over meat he will have some of that, and any other time hes on tesco complete.

he seems to enjoy his food and i think he looks healthy, he isnt overly hyper just what youd expect from a 7 month old puppy.
ill finsh him off on his current feed and try to do some research into something a little more suitable.
at the moment with morgage bills ect ect finances arnt as great as i would like for them to be so the food would have to be cost efficient but suitable and good for my gary... do you have any reccomendations?
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Apr 02 2013, 01:23

Sorry to interuppt but just thought I'd put my thoughts across as I've tried many different foods and have done my fair bit of research on them.

Totally agree with Caryll here, the food listed above has far too much grain in it and not enough meat/protein, which should be the main ingredient.

If you're on a budget, you should try something like Wainwrights from Pets At Home, or James Wellbeloved. They're hypoallergenic foods and pretty decent mid range ones at that.

Just remember, if you're planning on changing food, do it over a period of around 7 days. Slowly decrease the amount of 'old' food into the 'new food', this will prevent an upset stomach/diarrhea etc.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Apr 02 2013, 07:08

As far as E numbers are concerned, you might want to read the following (this is what's in Bakers):

E320 - has been found to be tumour -producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma.

E321 - BANNED for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has BANNED it from being used in infant foods. So bad McNasty's have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.

E310 - BANNED from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia.

E172 - BANNED in Germany.

E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. PROHIBITED in Norway.

E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them.

E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals.

E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. BANNED in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.

E171 - BANNED in Germany.

E153 - BANNED as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.

Look at http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/ it's a great website for learning more about dog food.

Bakers has a shocking 0 out of 5 rating, Wagg is marginally better with a 1 out of 5 but still something I'd never feed my dogs.

Supermarket own brands are usually the same, 0 or 1 out of 5.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Apr 02 2013, 07:17

Most of the pedigree foods are 0 out of 5 on www.whichdogfood.co.uk too.

Dogs are arguably carnivores and should be fed as such. Foods high in grain can cause all kinds of problems from behavioural to physical.

Have a read of http://files.championpetfoods.com/ORIJEN_White_Paper.pdf it's by a food company but contains lots of good information nonetheless.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Tue Apr 02 2013, 08:45

I was told by my vet that to feed wag or bakers or similar is like feeding your kids mcdonalds everyday :/
I would reccomend James Wellbeloved Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Apr 02 2013, 09:50

General rule of thumb IMO is feed the very best u can afford.
Look for high meat content , no grains food.
Basically a good hypoallergenic diet.
Or in my case - raw feeding.

Before I raw fed, my 2 were on Wainwrights trays which I believe is something like 60% meat - no grains - no fillers.

Dogs have limited tastebuds, they dont need all this overprocessed socalled food packed with E numbers etc Sad not good for our sensitive pooches.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 11:05

With the Tesco one, I would also be very wary of all the E numbers.....

Caryll wrote:Tesco's Premium (I don't know which one you use) has the following as ingredients...

Cereals,Meat and Animal Derivatives (minimum 4% Beef in the Beef Component and minimum 4% Fresh Meat in the Semi Moist Component) ,Vegetable Protein Extracts ,Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (minimum 1% Charcoal in the Heart Shaped Component) ,Oil and Fats ,Various Sugars ,Minerals ,Yeasts ,Vegetables (minimum 4% Vegetables in the Vegetable Component). With Antioxidants ,Coloured and Preserved with EC Additives (on 15Kg bag ONLY: BHA, BHT, E153, E172, E172, E155, E202, E102, E133, E330, E338, E282, E200, E297, E471, E516, E551, E558).

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Tue Apr 09 2013, 16:19

Well i have literally ordered James Wellbeloved after reading some of these posts - i was feeding her Bakers dry food and a 3rd tin of Pedigree meat.
She is currently on antihistamines at the moment as he skin isnt very good, so i think going to a hypoallergenic food is definately going to help her?
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Pedigree/Wagg/Tesco dry food Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Apr 09 2013, 16:24

It should help a great deal with her skin, everything should improve. It will take a cpl of weeks to see a difference but certainly the food will make a huge difference x
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 21:36

Mrs McFisher wrote:Well i have literally ordered James Wellbeloved after reading some of these posts - i was feeding her Bakers dry food and a 3rd tin of Pedigree meat.
She is currently on antihistamines at the moment as he skin isnt very good, so i think going to a hypoallergenic food is definately going to help her?

James Wellbeloved should make a difference - not only to her health, but quite possibly with her skin problems. Bakers has so many additives that many dogs develop allergies to one or more of them. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down