Trocoxil

3 posters

Go down

Trocoxil Empty Trocoxil

Post by paul_75 Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:24

hi, my male staff had been stiff and limping after long walks for a while, took him to the vets a few times and had anti inflamatory pills and told to rest him then build up walks, got an x-ra on him 2 weeks ago and on his left elbow a part of the bone that should be round has a small pointy piece of bone on it (his right side was round and fine)

the vets want him to be put on trocoxil for long term, i asked wouldnt it be better to remove to problem rather than a lifetime on these pills but the vet said no, he is only 2 and a half years old and could have a good 12 years left in him.

i am awaiting the results of his blood tests to see if he will be ok on these pills long term, they want him to take 2 30mg pills once a month for 6 months and then a month off, then the 2 for 6 months and a month off and so on

anyone know a good trusted cheap dealer of these pills online?

thanks

paul_75
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Trocoxil Empty Re: Trocoxil

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:42

The small pointy piece is almost certainly calcium growth. That could be caused by several things, but is most commonly elbow dysplacia.

At his age, I would be more inclined to let him have an operation to correct it than have him on pills for the rest of his life.

Any chance you could get a second opinion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:44

From what I can make out online, Trocoxil is used mainly for osteoarthritis & degenerative joint disease in older dogs?

I would be very reluctant to put him on pills that will mask his problems rather than correcting them. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26 2013, 10:55

same here i feel an operation would be better at such an early age sounds like avet looking for return buissness thumbs down

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 26 2013, 11:12

Do you have your dog insured ? If so get a second opinion on it and see if they suggest surgery.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Tue Mar 26 2013, 12:52

thanks for the replys, the vet said she thought it was bone as if he may have been hurt as a pup and more bone grew on this area, since i got him when he was 8 months i have no history on him.
we dont have insurance for him and the x-ra was payed for by the pdsa since i have been out of work for a few months

paul_75

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 26 2013, 13:21

At that age I would be inclined to have the op, Moo has severe arthritis and she is only 4 and has to be on meds and I hate it but we are unable to have the op. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 01:14

paul_75 wrote:thanks for the replys, the vet said she thought it was bone as if he may have been hurt as a pup and more bone grew on this area, since i got him when he was 8 months i have no history on him.
we dont have insurance for him and the x-ra was payed for by the pdsa since i have been out of work for a few months

Yes, I see.

Is there any chance you could save up for the operation? The drugs will help with pain, but won't cure the problem. If the spur of bone is causing discomfort now, then in a few years it could well cause damage to the surrounding area to the point where the drugs just won't work any more. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Wed Mar 27 2013, 13:52

Caryll wrote:
paul_75 wrote:thanks for the replys, the vet said she thought it was bone as if he may have been hurt as a pup and more bone grew on this area, since i got him when he was 8 months i have no history on him.

Yes, I see.

Is there any chance you could save up for the operation? The drugs will help with pain, but won't cure the problem. If the spur of bone is causing discomfort now, then in a few years it could well cause damage to the surrounding area to the point where the drugs just won't work any more. Sad

paying for an operation is what im going to have to do, the mrs has just started full time work and im about to get some part time so i will need to look into it, id rather pay for a one off operation that cures him that £20 a month for the pills thats going to mount up to a lot more in the long run

paul_75

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 13:53

That's what I was thinking as well. Especially as the cause of the discomfort will still be there, and he may need an operation later on anyway.

Let us know how things go.

Last edited by Caryll on Wed Mar 27 2013, 14:45; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 14:43

Poor thing. I agree that your best bet would be to save up for the op. He's young and will bounce back from it quickly!

Let us know how it goes! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum