leg cocking

3 posters

Go down

leg cocking Empty leg cocking

Post by swatcha Mon Mar 07 2011, 17:49

well guys i first would like to say a big thank you for the advice i had before on the poo-eating and the food i was feeding my staff bud....the poo eating has stopped and the kibble i am giving him has now started to build him up although the farting has gotten worse...lol.

My problem i am now facing is the constant leg cocking in the kitchen, its driving the missus mad and i get it in the ear when i get home....he can * his leg up to 5-7 times a day even with his constant walks...he is booked in to get the "snip" at the end of the month....will this make it any better?

He also keeps bashing my bedroom door open where i sit on the laptop just so he can lie behind me and he keeps coming back every 10 secs when i have told him to lie in his bed, any suggestions to why he does this and how i can help him?...many thx in advance guys and keep up the great postings...bill Big Grin
swatcha
swatcha
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bud and stella
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

leg cocking Empty Re: leg cocking

Post by Steve Mon Mar 07 2011, 17:52

how many times are you taking him out and how long for?

what about a crate ?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 07 2011, 18:13

Not a clue on the leg cocking, only had girls, but the bashing in on the bedroom door I would have thought he just wants to be close to you?!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07 2011, 18:33

Sounds like seperation anxiety to me.
Im having the same problems with Blue on and off. 2 Signs are they want to be by your side 24/7 and another is marking their terrority in several places within the house.
Dogs always have wee available so you can take him outside as many times as you like he will still come in and * his leg up.
They say the solution is to be the leader and to teach him exercises like sit stay. You increase the time slowly so they get more used to being apart from you.
If you manage to stop it and get some peace lol let me know how you managed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07 2011, 21:50

The way I stopped the leg lifting with my belgian shep was everytime I saw him starting to sniff, or trying to get close to a wall etc, I'd say "No!" loudly and shoo him away from wherever he was about to go. Then I'd do a few training commands to take his mind off it, and so i could then praise him for something he was doing right.

You'll have to scrub the walls with a cleaner that doesn't have ammonia in it. Ammonia has a strong urine-like smell, and dogs are often encouraged to pee when they smell it. Biological washing powder diluted in some warm water is a good cleaner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07 2011, 22:26

I heard vinegar and water mixed is good for getting rid of the smells.
I have the problem that Blue only does it when everyone is out the house and he is left on his own. He sometimes goes through a stage of spraying up a door casing for example even if we have only left the house for 10 mins. Little protest for being left behind Laughing
I need a speaker and camera setting up so I can shout NO! when he goes to do it while im out Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 08:44

we have not got to that stage yet, unless I have an angel

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 10:42

Most pups have got out of the weeing indoors by the time they start to c.ock their legs, so you probably won't have a problem. It's when an older dog becomes anxious, or wants to add his scent to a house (ie when you move homes) that you might get it happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by swatcha Wed Mar 09 2011, 22:28

well he does do it when someone is at home and even when we take him out all the time he still does it. we tried the vinegar thing and even the spray you buy from pet shops but still does not work...he always is wanting to be picked up all the time and goes totally mental when i come home from work so i do ignore him until he has calmed down but that can take ages...yup he is quite a handful...lol
swatcha
swatcha

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bud and stella
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09 2011, 23:41

If he is still doing it when your at home, the best way to stop it is to catch him doing it and tell him NO!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10 2011, 11:32

swatcha wrote:well he does do it when someone is at home and even when we take him out all the time he still does it. we tried the vinegar thing and even the spray you buy from pet shops but still does not work...he always is wanting to be picked up all the time and goes totally mental when i come home from work so i do ignore him until he has calmed down but that can take ages...yup he is quite a handful...lol

I think he needs time to settle & feel secure, to be honest. You could try rubbing some menthol on the walls where he normally goes - it might put him off. Other than that, it's catching him whenever you can & cleaning with a non-ammonia cleaner. Sad

The going mental thing is a lot easier to remedy. When you come in, ignore him totally - no eye contact, no speaking to him, nothing - until he's calmer, then you can give him some quiet greeting & praise. He'll catch on soon enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum