Hiya..... help and advice please!...

+2
Steve
staffielove
6 posters

Go down

Hiya..... help and advice please!... Empty Hiya..... help and advice please!...

Post by staffielove Mon Aug 30 2010, 20:53

Hi.... having spent a weekend away with my sister in law and her collie/lab x.... who is calm, walks to heal, goes off lead in the park.. plays ball... can be taken everywhere and anywhere... has made me very sad that I cant do that with my two .. male staff x and female staff (we think) who are both rescues... I would so love to be able to do all those things with them... and am wondering have I bitten off more than I can chew.. and is it too late?!...

neither walk to heal,, and my female is soooooo over freindly that anyone who comes to see us gets constantly jumped up at and covered in licks!!!!!!........ I have done training classes previously with both of them.

and as I am writing this they are fighting... AGAIN!!!!!!

Sad .. sad staffie lover

staffielove
staffielove
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lexi & Archie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 & 1
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hiya..... help and advice please!... Empty Re: Hiya..... help and advice please!...

Post by Steve Mon Aug 30 2010, 21:02

how old are your 2?

what do you do when they jump up and lick people?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Hiya..... help and advice please!... Empty Re: Hiya..... help and advice please!...

Post by staffielove Mon Aug 30 2010, 21:05

Hiya.. Toby is 4 and Lexi (female) is appox 2 ... its only Lexi that jumps up.. and I tell her NO!.. and ask people as much as poss to try and ignore her.. I have also sprayed her with water when saying no....
staffielove
staffielove

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lexi & Archie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 & 1
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Aug 30 2010, 21:17

i dont know if this will work what about getting on a lead when guest come around making her sit and when she all relax letting her off to say hello it may not work straight away.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by princess Tue Aug 31 2010, 20:33

one thing at a time,what would you like them to learn first?
thats how we have had to do it with princess.
princess
princess
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lady
Dog Gender(s) : girly whirly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 31 2010, 22:57

I think it would help to go back to the basics with the dogs.Dogs learn by association, so if your dog does something and is rewarded, the action is much more likely to be repeated. If you inforce the sit command,it will help you be in control of the jumping up.And is a very handy command for other times too.With walking to heal,before you begin training, decide which side your dog will walk on and how far in front you are prepared to allow your dog to go. You may also consider using a Gentle Leader since used correctly, this will stop the dog pulling and will give you control of large or powerful dogs.Pulling often starts before you even leave the house, so training your dog to walk on a loose lead starts with getting your dog to sit quietly as a lead is put on.With your dog sitting at your side, set off and give the command “heel” (so that your dog is aware you are about to move). If the dog gets ahead, stop and encourage it back to your side with a titbit. Repeat. To begin with, stop every three to four paces to praise your dog and give a titbit. Do not use your voice unless your dog is at your side. You can also practise this off-lead in a secure area – this makes you work really hard at keeping your dog with you, rather than relying on the lead.

I hope i have been of some help to you Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoNaThAn Wed Jul 20 2011, 18:55

its never to late to teach them!.but you have to be ready to put in the time and effort.dont give up on them as they just need to know who is in charge!
how long would you say you spend each day with them? exersizeing,and tranning?.if its under 45 mins with each dog they are not getting enough exersize, mental or phsical.start teaching them what you wont but small steps fist in the backward but not just throwing a ball,on leash stay, sit ,drop, and so on.and i would not recommend the water bottel trick as the dogs not listing to you.i would also recommend a good choker chain.
good luck
JoNaThAn
JoNaThAn

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MADAMAMOISELLE & ZEUS
Dog Gender(s) : 1 female and 1 male
Support total : 3

http://jonath.consta@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 19:16

Like above i would focus on one thing at a time until they have really leant that and then move on to the next

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Jul 20 2011, 20:35

I agree with the others - one thing at a time! Put the things you want to change on a list and start with one of them. Although I think starting to teach a couple of basics can be a good start - like the "it's yer choice" game teaching them impulse control. Impulse control is at the base of pulling, jumping up etcetera, so it might make it easier for them to grasp the concept later on.

Also the concept of "don't" is very difficult for a dog to learn, and much harder than teaching the dog what you want it to do (versus teaching all the things they shouldn't). It might be easier to work on the jumping up by rewarding them for not jumping up so that the dogs choose it as their best option rather than having to correct every mistake.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 20:56

its never to late for a dog to learn, but like said above it means going back to basics and controlling one thing at a time.
With the jumping up try the technique steve mentioned, you could ask a friend or a member of the family to help you, they go outside and knock the door and you can train her using this person etc .. you could give the person outside a treat before the enter etc, when she jumps tell them to put there back to the dog and ignore her, when she calms and sits down they can turn around and give her the treat etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Fri Jul 22 2011, 12:35

any dog can learn with time
you just have to work them when training and will get there
when i got buster he did not do anythink i asked with time he now will sit, stay, lay nad wolk to heal some time still working on that one

anything is possiable
good luck Big Grin
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hiya..... help and advice please!... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down