Pulling

2 posters

Go down

Pulling Empty Pulling

Post by phatpromotions Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:08

Hi just like to get peoples ideas/suggestions to stop my 1yr old staff from pulling, ive tried a harness and collar put neither seemed to do the trick im thinking about getting one of these halti's, are these a good idea and do they work? sometimes he walks fine but when he spots a lampost he want to pee up or people he want to be over there immediately to get fussed or do the deed and he is getting stronger so taking me with him lol any help appreciated Laughing
phatpromotions
phatpromotions
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Pulling Empty Re: Pulling

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:10

A halti, Canny Collar or similar may well be a good idea to stop the pulling. Have you tried turning around and walking in the opposite direction when he pulls ?? This can also be very effective.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:13

I agree on the head collars with Kathy, a lot of people do great with them Smile

Logan used to pull non stop. But if you stop walking as soon as he does. Then correct him with a "no" then start walking again after he calms he will eventually get the point lol.

Just make sure when he start pulling to stop walking immediately to disagree with what he's doing. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:20

In addition to the halti collar or the stop and turning method the watch me command is also very usefull.

Back to top Go down

Post by phatpromotions Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:21

hi yes have tried stopping and walking in the opposite direction,he does listen but then after a moment hes up to his old tricks lol, think i will give the halti thing a try..........thanks for advice
phatpromotions
phatpromotions

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 11:23

Canny Collars have had brilliant reviews from some members here Smile if it's people he pulls to, you can try the 'watch me' command. You get a treat and hold it up to your face and when he looks, say "watch" and then give him the treat/praise him. Keep doing that until he looks at you without you having to hold the treat up to your face, and then work on doing it outside with more distractions. Eventually he'll get the hang of it and if you're consistent enough, he should look at you whenever he sees a person. That's how we taught Loki to stop pulling us towards people and it's worked brilliantly, I can now walk him past kids without worrying he's going to jump up Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down