ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

+2
Tys mummy
b and t
6 posters

Go down

ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!! Empty ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Post by b and t Thu Mar 03 2011, 04:16

.........well it is currently 4 in the morning, Sparks has been whimpering/crying/yelping all night, and I mean all night since about 10.30

Tara has been desperate to go and settle him, but I said as soon as you do that he has got what he wants and tomorrow we will be back to square 1.

Is this a bit harsh? Any tips?
b and t
b and t
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Sparks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!! Empty Re: ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 04:20

It is horrible i know seperating Taz and Cassie they both go crazy but it is very nessesary you don't want him going nuts and stressing out if say you have to take Tara to the vets or something, smell is pretty important to dogs you could try swapping their blankets over during the night.
but unless it is really important to seperate them during the night i would let them be together dogs feel secure with their pack around them especially during the night.

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Thu Mar 03 2011, 04:26

MissRogue wrote:It is horrible i know seperating Taz and Cassie they both go crazy but it is very nessesary you don't want him going nuts and stressing out if say you have to take Tara to the vets or something, smell is pretty important to dogs you could try swapping their blankets over during the night.

Haha! Tara is my wife, she is good cop I'm bad cop!

He is only on his third night here but the night whimpers are getting worse not better. I know it's hard but how long do we leave him before we go down to him. If he is still whining at 6.00am (when we get up anyway) would he see this as being rewarded?
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 04:42

So sorry I could of sworn i seen dogs name before Ben and Tara its simply to early. He has got to learn that whinning and being anxious wont get him attention when you go down in the morning, walk in don't look ,touch or talk and go about your usual things once he has calmed down then give attention and you can practice him being calm while being left alone during the day with this technique also and over time it should help, you can go down during the night if he is whinning to let him out
but again no talk,touching,looking if you need to let him out etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Thu Mar 03 2011, 07:17

MissRogue wrote:walk in don't look ,touch or talk and go about your usual things once he has calmed down then give attention.

Yep, I see your point, I think we will have to try this.

When Tara went down to him this morning it turns out the door to his crate had been knocked shut, she opened it he went straight in and fell asleep! So now we don't know if he was upset at being seperated or not being able to get in his bed!

I guess tonight will tell.............can't wait!
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 07:41

I am sure he will settle it is tough the first few weeks with everything. Does he get left in the crate in the day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 08:13

Do u leave a dull light on somewhere for him and and also a low tv on or radio may help him settle x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 08:33

we had the same with billy, we left him in the crate in the living room and shut the door, turned off the lights, that way he knows it's his bedtime, we did not go to him. He howled for about 3 - 4 nights and it was heartbreaking, but he did stop, there will be an end to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 10:57

We left a plug in night light on for Dempsey & still do. But then we used to shut the crate door because BT's are known to be bad chewers & can really cause themselves damage!

As Claire says, if you have to go into the room before he's quiet, then just ignore him & carry on with your day to day things until he's calm. Then you can give him lots of praise & fuss. Otherwise, I'd leave him to it. He's obviously still a little unsettled, but that will change over the next few days & you'll soon see a marked improvement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Thu Mar 03 2011, 13:12

Same as above you are doing the rite thing it is hard exspecialy when you hear them crying so much it does break your heart but he will get used to being on his own in there Ty Cried an barked whinned and banged in his crate for about a week before he calmed down.

Lmao Claire reading your fist post confused me thought I was going looped was thinking were does it say about 2 dogs lol had to go back and re read the original post again lol bet Tara was happy with that lol Laughing
Tys mummy
Tys mummy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Mar 03 2011, 15:42

hot water bottle and a ticking clock can help as puppy is reminded of it's littermate's warmth and heartbeat, keep ignoring he will get used to it eventually. Every puppy is different, ive had some shut up after a couple of hours other will do it for 4/5 nights but always settle down in the end.

Bet you and your wife are shattered, its so easy to give in but your doing the right thing by sticking to your guns.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:25

Like Nosipho i would use a hot water bottle.And we still leave the radio on for Logan at night. He likes a bit of Radio 2!!
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:38

We failed! They ended up in our bed, it was ok when they were little but two bigger staffies now take up the whole bed. Mind they look at us as if to say "can you move" and go away in the huff. lol
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Mar 03 2011, 20:49

princesslou wrote:We failed! They ended up in our bed, it was ok when they were little but two bigger staffies now take up the whole bed. Mind they look at us as if to say "can you move" and go away in the huff. lol

Laughing know the feeling well! The joys of sharing a cover. Woke this morning with a corner and there are 2 covers on my bed!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03 2011, 21:06

Nosipho wrote:hot water bottle and a ticking clock can help

Dempsey would eat the hot water bottle. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Thu Mar 03 2011, 22:47

Well he is definately not coming in the bed, Bugsy didn't - Sparks is no different!!

Since day one he has had ticking clock, dim light, telly playing soft volume radio and a microwave comfort bear thing, I have come to bed now, Tara (wife not dog Big Grin ) is downstairs settling him now (I got work tmrw, she has this week off) I have given her strict instructions to not make a fuss, and just gently leave the room as soon as he is settled and come to bed. We will see......... not worthy

We were so lucky with Bugsy, he was silent from day one, I heard about all these dogs yelping all night and used to think it can't be that bad! How wrong was I?! It's like having another baby! I thought we were all done with that Laughing
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 08:31

Caryll wrote:
Nosipho wrote:hot water bottle and a ticking clock can help

Dempsey would eat the hot water bottle. Sad

rolling on the floor

i would have thought it would be a bit dangerous to put a hot water bottle, i'm sure Dempsey is not alone in eating it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 12:45

b and t wrote:Well he is definately not coming in the bed, Bugsy didn't - Sparks is no different!!

Since day one he has had ticking clock, dim light, telly playing soft volume radio and a microwave comfort bear thing, I have come to bed now, Tara (wife not dog Big Grin ) is downstairs settling him now (I got work tmrw, she has this week off) I have given her strict instructions to not make a fuss, and just gently leave the room as soon as he is settled and come to bed. We will see......... not worthy

We were so lucky with Bugsy, he was silent from day one, I heard about all these dogs yelping all night and used to think it can't be that bad! How wrong was I?! It's like having another baby! I thought we were all done with that Laughing

Hope you had a better night and they are big babies aren't they Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 13:56

Hope the night went a little better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 14:00

b and t wrote:Well he is definately not coming in the bed, Bugsy didn't - Sparks is no different!!

Since day one he has had ticking clock, dim light, telly playing soft volume radio and a microwave comfort bear thing, I have come to bed now,

I wouldn't leave so many things on very good hearing and all it can drive dogs nuts with things being left on stand by and being left on, a lamp in the corner away from him and make sure the bulb isn't the energy saving one they buzz after being on awhile is all he should need and a teddy in his crate but bed time should be quiet time i don't believe in leaving the radio on for them its just white noise to them a ear-ach.
Have you tried having him in the bedroom not on the bed in the bedroom dogs feel comfortable close to their pack especially puppies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 14:06

I agree about the radio. I've never left any background noise on, just a night light.

Personally, I'd rather my dog didn't sleep in my bedroom (been there, done that) but that's just a personal choice. Dempsey now has the run of the house so that if he hears a noise he can investigate it (and normally wake us up barking at it!).

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:41

He had a better night last night, we settled him about 11.15 didn't hear a thing til 4.30. Even then it was only a little whimper. He's asleep now, no noise just a dim light and ticking clock.......
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:46

b and t wrote:He had a better night last night, we settled him about 11.15 didn't hear a thing til 4.30. Even then it was only a little whimper. He's asleep now, no noise just a dim light and ticking clock.......

Sweet dreams then heres to a peacefull night Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:51

Tracie-Milly-Moos Mum wrote:
b and t wrote:He had a better night last night, we settled him about 11.15 didn't hear a thing til 4.30. Even then it was only a little whimper. He's asleep now, no noise just a dim light and ticking clock.......

Thank you Tracie.......he has just started yelping! I hope he realises soon that we are not going to him! Probably not though!
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:52

cloud9 fingers crossed, and goodluck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:54

b and t wrote:

Thank you Tracie.......he has just started yelping! I hope he realises soon that we are not going to him! Probably not though!

He will I think we forget sometimes that they are still babies milly is 6 months now and I forget sometimes. They are such a loveable breed Milly still loves her cuddle on the chair when i come home from work but to be honest I think I look forward to it more than her.

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:58

[quote="Tracie-Milly-Moos Mum] He will I think we forget sometimes that they are still babies milly is 6 months now and I forget sometimes. They are such a loveable breed Milly still loves her cuddle on the chair when i come home from work but to be honest I think I look forward to it more than her.[/quote]

Exactly, he is only 8 weeks old, we understand but had forgotten what sleep deprevation was like!

We were so lucky with Bugsy, he made no noise at all when we bought him home or on his first few nights.

.........update.......quiet again!
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 23:01

b and t wrote:[quote="Tracie-Milly-Moos Mum] He will I think we forget sometimes that they are still babies milly is 6 months now and I forget sometimes. They are such a loveable breed Milly still loves her cuddle on the chair when i come home from work but to be honest I think I look forward to it more than her.

Exactly, he is only 8 weeks old, we understand but had forgotten what sleep deprevation was like!

We were so lucky with Bugsy, he made no noise at all when we bought him home or on his first few nights.

.........update.......quiet again![/quote]

Just like kids aren't they you never get 2 the same but we would not want it that way. See he is quiet now he is settling down Milly is sprawled on the rug everything on show not a bit ladylike Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Fri Mar 04 2011, 23:02

Blushing
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 23:06

b and t wrote: Blushing

She is not blushing but I would not be without her now we had a rough 2 weeks with her when we got her and sh is still a diva but she cracks me up. When we take her out and people say is that one of them blue staffs she just looks at them as if to say yeh and Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Fri Mar 04 2011, 23:08

We can't wait to take Sparks out and show him off blue is a beautiful colour.

Bugsy was a diva. He definately preferred the company of men!
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 23:17

Nar Milly is a girly girl untill it comes to mud and water and then she cannot help herself. I was the same could not wait to take her out she was so full ov energt she needed it and my other dog Lady needed the peace Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Mar 07 2011, 16:23

You couldnt put boiling water in the hot water bottle anyway just in case they didnt chew it, it would have to be bath-water temperature. Still even if they did they are only £1.50 from Pound Land! Puppy teeth you would probably be safe from though I don't know about big teeth.

I have always found leaving tv or radio on works quite well, my dogs love to guard the house when I'm out and where we live in a block of flats anyones keys, the lift going, front doors etc sets them off. I find T'v or radio masks these little sounds and saves my neighbours having to thump on the walls. The dogs just seem to switch off with background noise and relax a lot more.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Tue Mar 08 2011, 06:59

Well after a week of virtually no sleep we had a breaktrough last night!

Tara bought one of those pheromone diffusers, we kept him awake as much as possible during the day, made sure he had eaten well and been to the toilet, we left the telly on low, settled him and quietly went to bed............

Silence! We checked him (with zero fuss) at 11.30 and then again at 3.30, he cried for about 20 mins then went quiet until we went down to him this morning! Finally after a week of no sleep we all got a fairly decent night
thumbs up
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 07:31

So glad to hear you are getting there and got some sleep thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 07:50

Nice one!
Hope it's many more good nights sleep to come, from now on thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 08:29

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Nice one!
Hope it's many more good nights sleep to come, from now on thumbs up

same here, the worst is over with

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 08 2011, 08:35

You must be relieved! Lets hope it is the breakthrough you hoped for thumbs up
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by b and t Tue Mar 08 2011, 09:57

......I hope so!! Not getting too excited, but it was so nice to get some sleep!! Big Grin
b and t
b and t

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 10:20

you will be able to change your MY MOOD soon

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 10:21

thumbs up It can only get better! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum