Scrounger dog!

Go down

Scrounger dog! Empty Scrounger dog!

Post by Carla77 Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:33

Hi,

I'd appreciate some advice on how to stop our dogs midnight bin visits!!

We never had any problems with her before, but we've had builders in for 4 months and they used to give her little bits of their food at lunchtime and she's now got a taste for our food. The last two mornings we've come down in the morning to find the bin knocked over, rubbish everywhere and little morsels of food scattered around. It's difficult not to laugh at her as she sulks around knowing that she's done wrong, but her scavenging is becoming a problem.

Other than moving the bin into another room I'm not sure how to teach her to stop doing this behaviour.
Carla77
Carla77
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Scrounger dog! Empty Re: Scrounger dog!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:36

I moved this to the chat section as it'll get more response here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:39

With unwanted behaviours like this it's a matter of catching them in the act. It takes them to be bad for them to understand what is required of them.

If you see her going near the bin or food that she isn't allowed in general, correct her with a firm but non aggressive "NO". Then make sure she leaves the area and praise her.

As with anything it takes repetition. I appreciate you want to solve the problem rather than just remove it too Smile

Last edited by MatLogan on Tue Mar 05 2013, 22:18; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:41

As mat said you need to find her in the act, so unless you can set up a camera and watch her 24/7 i think you will just need to get a more secure bin. Is it possible to have the bin in a cupboard that can then have kiddy locks on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum