Holly eating raw

2 posters

Go down

Holly eating raw Empty Holly eating raw

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:33

I have been slowly changing Holly over to a raw diet to a point...
She still has biscuits for breakfast but for luch and dinner i have been buying her kangeroo steaks and chicken wings etc.

how many chicken wings should she be eating in one sitting.. today i gave her 2 and she licked them for ages... then crunched them up.. she seemed to enjoy them.
she has kinda gone off the dry all the time but will eat them first thing in the morning with fish on them Sad yuck!

Back to top Go down

Holly eating raw Empty Re: Holly eating raw

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:52

i am not too sure as I have just started out myself, but i am sure caryll or someone will be along soon. they say that they should have between 2-3% of their adult body weight in food per day if that helps, but don;t take my word on it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01 2011, 10:32

I'm not a great fan of weighing food. Every dog is different. Keep an eye on your dog - if they seem to be losing weight, increase the food and if they seem to be putting to much on, decrease it.

My only word of warning would be the kangaroo steaks - they're quite high in protein & too much could make Holly hyper. Try mixing it with a lower protein food such as lamb, or even tripe, although as tripe is prgan meat it will make her poos softer!

(Have you ever noticed the amount of talk there is on this forum about poo?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Tue Mar 01 2011, 18:22

Molly has a maximum of 5 chicken wings a week, 2 on one day, and 3 on another day.
Molly still has dry down, and she eats it first thing in the morning too, and if it gets past 4pm and she hasn't had her raw, she'll nibble her dry too.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02 2011, 00:02

Cool thanks

Ahhh Yes have noticed that she is a little active lol
She sure seems to enjoy her chicken wings.

Do i need to cook Liver?.. I went to buy some and the lady in the shop said make sure i boil it up? gross... do i need to do this?.. you have prob already been thru this with me but i cant seem to find the post
thanks
mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Mar 02 2011, 09:08

I don't cook any of Molly meat, unless it's not full defrosted, in which case I cook it thoroughly, as Caryll's always said before if you do cook any of what you feed her, not bones, then make sure you cook it all the way through. Some dogs refuse to eat raw meat, so you may have to cook it, but in my opinion if she'll eat it raw then keep it raw.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Mar 03 2011, 14:46

As caryll says it varies, I think at Holly's age Tali was eating 2 wings a day on the days she had chicken. Now shes fully grown she boxes off 4 + and never puts weight on. Skibadee can't eat whatever she wants like Tali, we give her 3 for a meal, if you up her food you see her waist thicken before your eyes!!

Like others have said though you will learn over time how much she needs, if she seems starving give her another but I would think two and some biscuits would fill up most pups!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com