Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!!

2 posters

Go down

Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!! Empty Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!!

Post by MummyMuff Mon Feb 11 2013, 15:55

My 4 year old Ozzy is just driving me absolutely mad with his barking...

He's really well behaved in the house, does everything you tell him and couldn't be more obedient. Let him outside however, and oh well...!!! nail biting

I'm guessing it's just excitement barking, as when he sees someone (ie, the man next door) his tail goes full speed, and I can see he's excited, but he barks and barks. Same when strangers pass the fence...he jumps up on the fence, tail wagging, but just barks at them!! (He's a big boy so can seem very intimidating if you don't know him and can scare some people.) When people come to the door, again, the tail goes but he just barks!! He'll run around in circles barking, running back to the fence, or whoever has came to the door, all the time doing the most irritating bark lol!!!

I have tried distraction, shouting firmly, chasing him (which only leads to me looking like a complete goon in front of the whole street!! I dont want to s ), throwing water over him (which someone recommended dont tell anyone ) but it doesn't make the slightest bit difference!!

I never got him from a puppy, so wasn't able to nip it in the bud as soon as it started. It's getting worse, and driving me round the bend...

ANY suggestions/advice etc would be very much appreciated before this poor mummy goes off her rocker!!!! at wits end

Dawn (and Ozzy)
MummyMuff
MummyMuff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!! Empty Re: Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!!

Post by Maggie1 Mon Feb 11 2013, 17:42

When we rehomed Maggie she was similar. What I did was taught her quiet. If she being silly I'd tell her quiet. If she's still not quite take back in the kitchen for 10 seconds or so. She was usually sill being hyper behind to door so I'd tell her quiet again, then I would only open the door for her when she was quiet and calm. Then let her back out. If she started again then repeat the process. It did taken a lot of work but she is a lot better now.
Maggie1
Maggie1
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!! Empty Re: Excited Barking?? Help Make It Stop...!!!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 22:09

Try teaching him to bark on command and than introduce the quiet command

Back to top Go down

Post by MummyMuff Wed Feb 13 2013, 17:37

Thanks for the advice people Smile

He's absolutely fine in the house, just when he gets outside!!!

Will look into the 'bark on command' technique as I have read quite a lot of people suggest it...
If your prepared to have a dog, be prepared for hard work!!! I dont want to s lol.
MummyMuff
MummyMuff

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down