help

3 posters

Go down

help Empty help

Post by seaeagles Tue Feb 22 2011, 04:01

can some_one help me plzz.. iv'e got a male staffy pup and we brought a female staffy pup today and my male staffy attack her im really scared he's going to hurt her.. he made her bleed.. how can i stop him from been so nasty?
seaeagles
seaeagles
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sarg
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help Empty Re: help

Post by Natalja Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:21

This doesn't sound very nice ! How old is your male pup ? not quite right to be so dominant as a puppy! Has he been socialized ? how is he with other dogs ? . Does he understand that you are the boss (ALPHA) and not him. Make sure that you put him on his back and hold him like this even sit on him (without putting your weight on him)! and let the little female approach. This is to start with classic dominance situation. Did you get both pups from the same breeder ? sorry but there a lot of factors to take into consideration with this kind of behaviour.

Natalja
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:34

Are they related, have they met first before bringing new pup home?? I've never had 2 but as said above there is a lot to consider, dominance/nerves being a pup/protection.............any more info would be great
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:38

Please let us know how old each dog is, and where they came from. Was there an incident that provoked the attack, jealousy over food or toy or attention for example? Did your male give any warning before the attack? Did he stare at her, growl, lift his hackles? Is there a big size and weight difference between the two?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:51

yea as shontelle says if u could give as much info as poss so we can advice! I defo in the mean time would not pin, hold or sit on your pup though x

Back to top Go down

Post by seaeagles Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:55

He's 8 months old.. iv'e got a foxy he plays with him all the time but the foxy doesnt like my staffy but the other staffy.. i got today isnt from the some breeder.. i did let him no it was wrong and put him in nother room when i let him out he didnt go her like the first time.. he tries to jump on her back.. i think thats what started the fight she didnt want him to jump on her back.. i just dont want her to get hurt.. it broke my heart when i saw them to fighting.. i just want them to get on..
seaeagles
seaeagles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 10:57

How old is the female? How bad was the attack? Did he give warning first?

Back to top Go down

Post by seaeagles Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:09

sorry the male staffy is 4 months old.. the female is 3 months old.. he was playing around then it got really serious but he did growl at her before he bit her on the nose it was bleeding a tiny bit.. he kept on jumping on her back and she didnt want him to jump on her.. is there something i did wrong.. i thought i would tell him no and put him into another room so he can calm down?
seaeagles
seaeagles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:19

It sounds to me as if they just need to settle in. All you can do is supervise them, if it starts getting out of hand, step in with a loud firm 'NO!' and separate them. DO NOT leave them alone in a room together where they can get at each other. If you go out, separate them by a door, or baby gate, or crate one or both if possible. Keep an eye on the situation, let us know if it looks like its more than a settling on problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by seaeagles Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:21

yes he is alot bigger then her tho.. it wasnt bad.. my hubby thinks it was because he didnt no her and he thought that sarg might have been jealous there was a new puppy around.. i dont no maybe i did wrong by bringing a new puppy into the house?
seaeagles
seaeagles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by seaeagles Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:23

Thankyou shontelle i think your right they need to settle down and get use to each other.. thanks guys
seaeagles
seaeagles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:26

It might've helped if you introduced them on neutral territory first, but it certainly wasn't bad to get another puppy. I think your husband is right, they need to get to know each other and in the meantime, you both need to set very clear boundaries as to what is and what is not acceptable from them. If they both know your rules, they'll settle eventually. Don't allow any growling (Aggressive growling, different from play growling) If any hackles go up, or they are staring each other out, separate them and tell them no. I'm sure they'll be fine when they settle in and get used to having each other around. Let us know how you get on. Oh, and pics please!!! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:28

You haven;t done anything wrong its just there really are steps that you should taake first, introducing them slowly rather than bringing the pup straight home. But with the correct supervision and training I'm sure it will be fine, as Shontelle said very advisable to never leave them alone together until they have bonded, they are both going to need ime to adjust, its going to be a shock to both of them
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 13:31

A 4 month old puppy wont be being agressive he obviously just doesnt no how far he can take "playing". Having to such young pups will be hard work but with a bit of effort will be really rewarding once they both pass out of the puppy faze (18 months ish). As has already been said make sure they are separated when u are not around and when u are supervising play just make it clear 2 your boy what he can and cant do, be consistant and he will learn. Honestly though pups as young as yours dont have any agression as such in them they just want to play and somtimes take it 2 far and dont no when to stop, thats where u come in lol! x

Back to top Go down

Post by seaeagles Wed Feb 23 2011, 05:48

Thanks guy's their starting to get on but yes he does take it a bit to far.. so i done what you's guy's said and just step and take control situation and its starting to work... THANK'YOU SO MUCH GUY'S Smile
seaeagles
seaeagles

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 07:55

That's Great news. Keep us posted Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 08:33

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 23 2011, 11:01

and pictures please Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 13:03

Oh yeah and loads of em

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 14:26

Glad things are going better for you cannot wait for the pictures Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 12:03

just thought id mention an 8 month old puppy cannot be aggresive, stupid-yes, over excited-yes-testing the boundries-yes but not aggresive...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 14:28

Not strictly true. If they're aggressive by nature it can start from a very young age. Sad But it is unusual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 15:15

at best if you wanted to get deep into dog behaviour an 8 month old puppy with aggression issues is just a puppy who hasnt been shown the boundries, ive seen a few under 12 months where the owner thinks the dog is aggressive but im yet to see any which is what i would class as aggressive, i suppose it depends how you look at it, but its a bit like saying a 5 year old child has atacked an adult? ive had a staffy that was badly behaved as a puppy{could be called aggressive?} by the time he was 2 years it was gone....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 15:22

Aggressiveness can be hereditary.

Recently, on a BT forum, a poor guy with a 4 month old BT had to give him back to the breeders because of his aggressiveness. The dog was rehomed to the breeder's uncle who, even now the dog is 11 months old, has to have a muzzle on him at all times. They are considering putting him to sleep.

It turns out the pup's father & great grandfather were also aggressive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 15:42

i get what your saying but if it were that bad for me i would be looking at the dogs health i.e brain issues more than the parents passing on some kind of aggressive gene, in theory i suppose its quite possible but owner treatment would outweigh that by 10 times, if a dog knows what is or isnt acceptable behaviour towards people then they will rarely do otherwise, it also swings the other way much more where as a dog has been mistreated even taught to be aggressive but then changed to a loving knowledgeable owner and gone onto be a good family trusted pet.....all that aside if someone is saying a 8 month old puppy is aggresive i would still say its not really possible and can be fixed unless on the off chance the dog is actually mad....which can happen-forget the name but there is a disease that affects a dogs brain...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:07

I know what you're saying, and I know it's very unusual, but aggressiveness can be passed on through the genes. The pup I was talking about has had many, many veterinary tests (the first thing they thought of was illness) but physically he's fine. Just nasty! He's never been ill treated & he was taight manners etc whilst young, all to no avail!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum