Debo's weekend - ups and downs.

4 posters

Go down

Debo's weekend - ups and downs. Empty Debo's weekend - ups and downs.

Post by jola139 Sun Feb 03 2013, 15:13

In over all we had good one. Saturday it was only me and my baby boy. So took him for a long walk to doggy park. There were two dogs playing, 4yrs old grey hunt male and 5mnths spaniel female. After last weekend incident with puppy labrador male( when Debo pined him down and gwroled at him) I thought will give it a try. Asked the owners if it's ok to join in and in we went. The play began. he was perfect. He mostly played with female spaniel because the grey hunt,as his owner expalined,was to grown up for silly games. I tried once with him but after being chased with loud barking he gave up. I stroked both of the dogs with Debo having no problems with it. Lovely time,back home and left him for 40min outside the cage and poped out to wash my car. Came back and he was waiting for me on the sofa-no demage done. Sunday it's a different story. As you know I've got issues with Debo jumping at me and pulling my sleaves when sitting on the sofa. This morning he grabed my arm Sad . I know he wanted to play but it did upset me a lot. I said loud no and got of the sofa,asked him to go to his place, he did as he told but after few secs was back and did the same. Crying or Very sad . Later we took him for a walk,me and my OH. He always behave nicely on the walk,comes when asked etc. Today he thought that maybe because we are both there he can get away with things,so he ended up having his walked mostly on the lead. We poped to local shop,my OH waited outside. When I came out I saw my OH talking to a guy,his 5mths male Staffy in Staffy style hugh with Debo. Debo's body relaxed,tail high wagging and big Staffy smile, the other dog's body stiff,tail low just the end wagging and head kept high. I'm not sure what Debo read out of the others dog body but he didn't like it. We just heard both barked then Debo's deep growl and my OH managed to pull him in time because it looked like they were about have a go with each other,Debo showed teeth. We did told him off and again he looke like he knew for what.
I think he might have a issue with younger male dogs that trying to dominate him. Last weeend labrador was younger male and this Staffy teh same. Yesterday he was fine with younger female and older male.
Sorry for the long post.
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Debo's weekend - ups and downs. Empty Re: Debo's weekend - ups and downs.

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:18

Some dogs do get on better with females than males, Rocky being one example. Have you read through the body language link, I have pasted it below, you may find it useful:

Also maybe Debo is just getting a little bit over excited when meeting new dogs. Do you know any friends with very calm dogs he could be introduced to ??

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dog_body_language

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Sun Feb 03 2013, 17:37

my max do the same like your debo is very good with most of dogs until the other dogs bark to him then he become angry and try to bite the other dog..and the same doesn't like younger puppy then him.i keep him on leash most of time when other dogs around ho does not know..i also habe another dog a westie girl max become hes bodyguard not let any dog come close to her Smile
danielirl
danielirl
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Debo's weekend - ups and downs. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Feb 03 2013, 19:16

Kathy,I know that he acts different on and off the lead when meeting dogs. Like with the dogs in doggy park,he run to the dogs,said nicely hello ( no jumping),checked if the dogs are ok in doggy way and then started to play. With the labrador from last weekend he did the same but didn't like something about him and pined him down. The grey hunt from Saturday was really calm and took Debo's approched very calmly,ignoring him,when Debo jumped -he told him off. And Debo backed off.Sadly don't know anyone,will try t go to that park more and hope will meet them again, Will ask if she could help me. I think will have to be more carefull around younger males around. We always correct him when he does that,hope it does any good.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Feb 04 2013, 14:21

When I spoke to the grey hunt owner ,I told her that I'm worrying that Debo's going to be DA when his older. She told me that grey hunts are cat-haters,the behaviouris who worked with her dog told her that every dog's behaviour can be changed. It doesn't mean that they will love cats/dogs from now on,just will learn how to ignore them. So there is hope.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Mon Feb 04 2013, 14:42

Yes, what you have been told is true but it takes time and patience.

From your original post though it sounds as though the other staff was the one showing aggression.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down