+5
cheeky angel kim
Lizzie
janey
Kathy
goldie87
9 posters

Go down

What could this be? Empty What could this be?

Post by goldie87 Sat Jan 12 2013, 21:13

Zeus managed to cut himself on the side of his paw, near his far toe about a week or so ago. I put some sudocrem on it for its antibacterial properties but it seems to have done nothing.

This is what its turned to, as you can see, its raised and is looking very pink and sore, what could it be? and how could I treat it?

What could this be? 124y689

What could this be? 250hwfd
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

What could this be? Empty Re: What could this be?

Post by Kathy Sat Jan 12 2013, 21:18

Sorry dont know what it is but it looks quite angry doesn't it. It may be infected so probably best let the vet take a look and they may prescribe some antibiotics.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jan 12 2013, 21:53

Yes agree with Kathy and pop to the vets. Could be a number of things but best to get it looked at Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12 2013, 22:04

Yes it looks as if it's got infected. If it comes up to a yellow head you could try lancing it with a sterilised needle and pressing out the pus, then swab with TCP.

If Zeus was a human, I would put some magnesium sulphate paste on it to draw out the poison, but I don't know how safe it would be for a dog to lick it (as he probably would) so to err on the side of caution a trip to the vet is advisable.

But, if it goes down significantly over the weekend, then Zeus's natural defences will have dealt with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Jan 12 2013, 22:32

ok thank you all, think i'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow as its been like this for over a week, will keep you updated!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 13 2013, 00:29

I hope its all and nothing but do let us know XX
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 01:07

It does look like an abcess. You can either try lancing it yourself, or ask the vet for some anti-bs. Looks a bit sore, doesn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Jan 14 2013, 11:14

It does look really sore, it seems to have gone down since I started this thread so haven't been to the vets yet.

Zeus has been scratching quite alot and has made the side of his mouth bleed, and also his ears and underneath his eye. He's never scratched this much and I'm putting it down to his food as its been worse since hes been on it (Wafcol Puppy).

He's going to be a year old on Feb 10th, so I'm thinking about moving him to adult food right now, as I don't want to move to another puppy food then move onto another adult food. Is this OK to do? I'm thinking about Wainwrights as all of the other hypoallergenic/expensive/premium foods havent done anything for him and I've tried most of them.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:47

goldie87 wrote:It does look really sore, it seems to have gone down since I started this thread so haven't been to the vets yet.

Zeus has been scratching quite alot and has made the side of his mouth bleed, and also his ears and underneath his eye. He's never scratched this much and I'm putting it down to his food as its been worse since hes been on it (Wafcol Puppy).

He's going to be a year old on Feb 10th, so I'm thinking about moving him to adult food right now, as I don't want to move to another puppy food then move onto another adult food. Is this OK to do? I'm thinking about Wainwrights as all of the other hypoallergenic/expensive/premium foods havent done anything for him and I've tried most of them.

Caryll, can you help? Or any one else?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:52

I can't see a problem with moving him to adult food. Wainwights is pretty good.

How's his toe?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 15 2013, 15:00

Caryll wrote:I can't see a problem with moving him to adult food. Wainwights is pretty good.

How's his toe?

His toes getting better thanks, I've been applying sudocrem to it every night and its not as raised as it was. Its still red looking but seems to be healing!
Thanks for your help
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15 2013, 20:05

Great to hear that Zeus's toe infection is getting better - his natural defences seem to be overcoming it. thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Jan 19 2013, 19:40

So I took Zeus to the vets today as this got worse, I think because of the snow and it getting wet etc. He said that it looked infected to him and he prescribed him with some antibiotics (Prednisoline) to take for the next 5 days, hopefully it sorts it out!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Sat Jan 19 2013, 19:53

Poor Zeus. The antibiotics should sort it out very quickly and better to be safe than sorry.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19 2013, 22:27

Well anti-biotics should sort the abcess, from the inside out.

Good luck Zeus >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19 2013, 22:33

Oops sorry, Prednisolone is a steroid, not an anti-biotic.

Back to top Go down

Post by cheeky angel kim Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:03

hope his foot gets better soon i have just put rocky on wainrights as iams was not agreeing with him made him ill he too was scratching his face ears and made them bleed he been great since changeing food
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : rocky & missy
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months & 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male / female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:16

I have recently changed romeo from golden eagel to Brit, he seems to be going on fine. i changed romeo over to adult food at about 7 months i think, i just mixed the puppy and adult food together until i had more adult then puppy and then none at all, did it for two weeks, that way i didnt waste any either Smile

romeo had a bump like that too some time ago... before i could get it checked... he actually chewed it off...it was rather... gross. i disinfected it, bandaged and in two days it was almost healed again, but it could have been different on the inside to zeus'. romep's was puss, i had to squeeze it out after he nibbled it
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Jan 19 2013, 23:18

Lynda wrote:Oops sorry, Prednisolone is a steroid, not an anti-biotic.

Thanks for clearing that up, he said it was an 'anti-inflammatory', me being thick called it an anti-biotic lol, my bad!

cheeky angel kim wrote:hope his foot gets better soon i have just put rocky on wainrights as iams was not agreeing with him made him ill he too was scratching his face ears and made them bleed he been great since changeing food

That's a good call Kim, Iams isn't the best food but Wainwrights is really good. I'm just in the middle of taking Zeus off Wafcol, as this is causing itchy skin and loose stools, to Orijen, hopefully I have the same result as you!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 20 2013, 07:56

we feed wainwrights to our 2 they like it. Bought a sack from PAH but it was £32 for 12 kilos. Does anyone know where its any cheaper? Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 09:54

I think Wainwrights might be PAH own make Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 12:14

Yup it is their own brand , not seen it in 12kg bags though , which one do you get ?? we get the adult 1-7 years and bought some last week £38.95 for 15kg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20 2013, 12:43

The 12kg bags are salmon and potato I think. The 12kg bags definitely had vegetable in it. It was my first time going for wainwrights and I remember someone saying to get the one with vegetable in rather than rice. I got the lamb and rice cos that came in 15kg Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Jan 20 2013, 20:22

Wendy and Mark wrote:we feed wainwrights to our 2 they like it. Bought a sack from PAH but it was £32 for 12 kilos. Does anyone know where its any cheaper? Smile

Yep it is PAH's own make so you can't get it from anywhere else, but if you reserve & collect a bag online, add in promotional code AJ557P and you'll get an extra 10% off Wink
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 10 2013, 12:57

So its not looking so good for Zeus, the tablets done nothing for him, he's been going at it and the lump has gone bigger and scabbed over.

Took him to the vets and they said the best way to deal with it is to get it removed, stitch him up and it'll be back to normal within around 2 weeks, at a cost of £400.

He also said the best thing was to put him in a cone for a week, if it seems to be getting better in that week, then he won't need the op, if its the same, then he'll need it. He's been in a cone for the past three days and he's been depressed as hell, worst thing is that its his 1st birthday today! Sad, the only problem is that he can still get to his paw even with the cone on, does anyone have any suggestions on to how to stop him getting to it?

I've tried a booty, etc, no luck, he just doesnt look like it and keeps going for it until it comes off.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:27

goldie87 wrote:So its not looking so good for Zeus, the tablets done nothing for him, he's been going at it and the lump has gone bigger and scabbed over.

Took him to the vets and they said the best way to deal with it is to get it removed, stitch him up and it'll be back to normal within around 2 weeks, at a cost of £400.

He also said the best thing was to put him in a cone for a week, if it seems to be getting better in that week, then he won't need the op, if its the same, then he'll need it. He's been in a cone for the past three days and he's been depressed as hell, worst thing is that its his 1st birthday today! Sad, the only problem is that he can still get to his paw even with the cone on, does anyone have any suggestions on to how to stop him getting to it?

I've tried a booty, etc, no luck, he just doesnt look like it and keeps going for it until it comes off.

Anyone?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:32

Sorry if I have missed something but what have the vets advised it is?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:34

Could there be a thorn there? Get some Iodien Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:36

sorry i missed this, this is identical to what lexi had when she was a pup and my vet didn't do anything with it. He said it has came from her obsessively licking her paw when she is anxious (it came around about the time i went to college and she wasn't on my lap 24/7, so she was pining)

but it just went away on its own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:53

Poor Zeus >Big Grin<

Does it still look the pics? Because tbh it looked like a localised infection to me, especially as you said he had cut himself there. If it's like a big pimple, with pus inside (have you seen it without a scab? I know Zeus keeps having a go at it, but can you see what if anything comes out and causes the scab?) then it may be that a foreign body of some sort is in there setting up an infection. In which case lancing it (like a boil, which it may well be by now) and squeezing out everything, followed by antiseptic/antibiotic may do the trick, and the vet may well have to do this under local or general anaesthetic.

If it's just a granular cyst and Zeus keeps worrying at it, then it might be best to have it excised.

A long, long time ago one of my Dobes got lumps between her toes and my vet advised for them to be excised. Much later I learned that these were inter-digital cysts which are harmless (unless the dog keeps on at them and makes them sore) and eventually disappear on their own.

What do others think?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:14

janey wrote:

Sorry if I have missed something but what have the vets advised it is?

Hi Janey, the vet said to give it about a week with the cone on to see if it goes away, but they recommended for me to get it removed, sent off for analysis, stitched up and cone on for 2 weeks to recover. I didn't really want to put him through that but it seems as if I have no choice. He's just hit it again off the fireplace and hes limping Sad

kenny d wrote:Could there be a thorn there? Get some Iodien Smile

I did have a look when it wasnt as bad, so did the vet and she didn't mention anything being in there, just that it looks like he kept licking a cut and it got worse.

Hayley wrote:sorry i missed this, this is identical to what lexi had when she was a pup and my vet didn't do anything with it. He said it has came from her obsessively licking her paw when she is anxious (it came around about the time i went to college and she wasn't on my lap 24/7, so she was pining)

but it just went away on its own.

Hi Hayley, I was really hoping this would be the case for me too, but Zeus keeps going at it and hitting it off things. Its been bleeding alot and although I've been cleaning it with salt water, its turned black with the dried blood on it.

Lynda wrote:Poor Zeus >Big Grin<

Does it still look the pics? Because tbh it looked like a localised infection to me, especially as you said he had cut himself there. If it's like a big pimple, with pus inside (have you seen it without a scab? I know Zeus keeps having a go at it, but can you see what if anything comes out and causes the scab?) then it may be that a foreign body of some sort is in there setting up an infection. In which case lancing it (like a boil, which it may well be by now) and squeezing out everything, followed by antiseptic/antibiotic may do the trick, and the vet may well have to do this under local or general anaesthetic.

If it's just a granular cyst and Zeus keeps worrying at it, then it might be best to have it excised.

A long, long time ago one of my Dobes got lumps between her toes and my vet advised for them to be excised. Much later I learned that these were inter-digital cysts which are harmless (unless the dog keeps on at them and makes them sore) and eventually disappear on their own.

What do others think?

Hi Lynda, it looks worse than that pic now. When it first started, it was just a little red lump, it didn't look like it had something stuck in it. When the vet seen it, she said it was something beginning with 'H', it was a really long word but said it's best to be excised, I think its got to the point where I have no choice really.

goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:19

This is what it looks like now:

What could this be? 23i8n7b
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:35

You might want to try a collar until its healed up a bit?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:41

Hayley wrote:You might want to try a collar until its healed up a bit?

Do you mean a cone? He's got one on now, just when it seems to be getting a little better, he bangs it off something and makes it worse. It;s getting to the point now where its affecting his walking as hes starting to limp which is why I'm thinking of just going for the removal
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:43

Haematoma - was that the word? Means bloody bruise, basically.

Must admit it does look bigger and worser Sad

If you can get Zeus to let it alone and stop knocking it for a bit, it may heal on its own.

I've got to admit though, if it was my dog, I would get the thing excised. Then all you've got to deal with is a nice clean stitched wound. A collar job again I'm afraid, but it looks like you can't avoid the lampshade anyway.

Good luck you and Zeus, do let us know what you decide and how it goes on. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:55

If it was me I would have it removed, as you said even with a lamp on he can still reach it.

Moo had a benign tumor which thankfully went away on her ear, looks similar, they can be common in young dogs. Hers went away as she never knocked it though.

Do let us know how you get on Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Feb 11 2013, 10:08

Lynda wrote:Haematoma - was that the word? Means bloody bruise, basically.

Must admit it does look bigger and worser Sad

If you can get Zeus to let it alone and stop knocking it for a bit, it may heal on its own.

I've got to admit though, if it was my dog, I would get the thing excised. Then all you've got to deal with is a nice clean stitched wound. A collar job again I'm afraid, but it looks like you can't avoid the lampshade anyway.

Good luck you and Zeus, do let us know what you decide and how it goes on. >Big Grin<

Hi Lynda, I think that was the word, yes, it also had another word with it. I thought the exact same too, if only he leaves it, it'll most probably heal but its almost impossible, I slept with him last night, hoping he wouldn't get to it over night but when I seen this morning, he'd taken half of the scab off and it was bleeding again, going round in circles! To be honest, I think I'm going to book him in now, he's had it for a good 2/3 months, just want to get it sorted now.

janey wrote:

If it was me I would have it removed, as you said even with a lamp on he can still reach it.

Moo had a benign tumor which thankfully went away on her ear, looks similar, they can be common in young dogs. Hers went away as she never knocked it though.

Do let us know how you get on Xx

Thanks Janey, I will do.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11 2013, 23:28

Enough's enough isn't it - you've given the thing every chance, and it still bothers Zeus, isn't getting any better and in fact getting worse.

I know it's a hard decision, but in your place I'd get rid of it, after this long and trying everything else.

Good luck to you and Zeus, whatever you decide. Keep us updated and >Big Grin< to you both.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:44

Thank you, Lynda.

Went back to the vets last night as his op was booked in for this morning. The scab has fallen off and the vet was in agreement with me that it seems to be going down, she prescribed us with antibiotics this time, and not anti inflammatories as the previous vet did! Also gave Fuciderm cream to apply on it twice daily. She said she wants to give it every chance to get better itself before she puts Zeus through an op that he potentially doesn't need.

Arranged to go back in on Tuesday evening, so will keep everyone updated!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:50

Fingers crossed all goes well and it gets better now with the antibiotics >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:04

Lexi never knocked hers and it never got bloody so i guess this is where its different. Good luck with the fuciderm, it is amazing stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 21:00

Well that sounds like good news Goldie. Let's hope the new meds do the trick.

Good luck to you and Zeus, and thank you for keeping us informed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Feb 13 2013, 21:13

It looks to me like a histiocytima (benign tumor) my girl had one on her side, had it removed too. It cost around £400 but claimed it bk thru insurance.

The only way to know if it us a histiocytima is by sending it off for histology. They are known to grow back - and resolve themselves in upto 3-6mths.

Maby mention it to your vet ?
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:34

Jackieb wrote:It looks to me like a histiocytima (benign tumor) my girl had one on her side, had it removed too. It cost around £400 but claimed it bk thru insurance.

The only way to know if it us a histiocytima is by sending it off for histology. They are known to grow back - and resolve themselves in upto 3-6mths.

Maby mention it to your vet ?

Briiliant piece of advice Jackie, this is exactly what the vet said. She said it was an histiocytima, and they quoted me £320 to have it removed and sent off for analysis. She has said that if it doesn't go round or appear to be healing by Tuesday, this is the op he's going to have. Atleast I know he's not the only one with this, thank you!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum