+2
Jellytot
Erika-91
6 posters

Go down

New to all this  Empty New to all this

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:35

Hi Everyone

Me and my friend have lived together for a while now, we decided a dog would make our home complete so we adopted a staffy-jack russell cross called Alfie.

From what we can gather his previous owners did not treat him very well, personally I think he is slightly underweight and will not go near his toys no matter how much encouragement we give him, we've tried treat dispensing toys, peanut butter, playing with the toys ourselves.
Regardless of this he is the most loving and gorgeous companion we couldve asked for. The lady we got him off however told us he was toilet trained and was more than happy to be on his own for hours at a time. We thought perfect as we are at work for most of the day. We did have out doubts as he is so young and we were right to do so.

He is so well behaved when we are there lets us know when we needs to go out, is good as gold in everyway, but at night and when we're out he does his business in the house, wee's on paper in the kitchen and poo's generally by the bookcase in the dining room. We tried putting a baby gate in the kitchen to see if this would help but he has figured out he can jump it, the previous owner also neglected to mention that he's a chewer! He loves pens and genral plastic.

Could really do with some advice on how we work out the problems we're having with him if anyone can help?
Erika-91
Erika-91
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 11 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New to all this  Empty Re: New to all this

Post by Jellytot Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:38

What about crate training him? How long are you out for?
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:41

We are out for about 7 hours a day, he gets an hour and a half walk everyday when we get back.

we have thought about crate training but a bit worried as we dont really know what it entails.
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:46

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Erika-91 wrote:
From what we can gather his previous owners did not treat him very well, personally I think he is slightly underweight and will not go near his toys no matter how much encouragement we give him, we've tried treat dispensing toys, peanut butter, playing with the toys ourselves.

If a dog isn't played with as a pup, it can take quite a long time to get them to realise that it's fun! Try dragging a tug toy along the floor & see if he'll follow it. Maybe you could get a plush toy to tempt him, or a squeeky toy to stimulate his interest? How old is he, by the way?

Erika-91 wrote:
He is so well behaved when we are there lets us know when we needs to go out, is good as gold in everyway, but at night and when we're out he does his business in the house, wee's on paper in the kitchen and poo's generally by the bookcase in the dining room. We tried putting a baby gate in the kitchen to see if this would help but he has figured out he can jump it, the previous owner also neglected to mention that he's a chewer! He loves pens and genral plastic.

I take it you haven't had him very long? As he's just had a major upheaval in his routines, it's likely to have mucked up his routines. Also, he'll be suffering a measure of anxiety & night times will be lonely & confused. Don't make a fuss about accidents in the house. Just let him out into the garden & clear up the mess without a word. If he goes in the garden, loads of praise. Does he only get a walk in the afternoon/evening, or do you take him out before you go to work as well?

Have you thought about the possibility of using a crate for him?

Erika-91 wrote:
the previous owner also neglected to mention that he's a chewer! He loves pens and genral plastic.

I sympathise! So is Dempsey - even now at nearly 4 years old!

Does he only chew when you're not there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:49

Also If you could try a morning walk also it would help the issues a lot Big Grin A tired Staffy is much better behaved, and as he is a teenager he has plenty of energy to burn off.. 2 walks a day minimum is an essential part of owning a happy dog Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:55

Will definialty try a squeeky toy! He's 11 months and no we've not had him long but he's well and truley a member of the family already.

Will try the ignoring tactics when he goes in the house, we have been telling him off for doing it. Yeah he only gets walked when we get back from work? Do you think a morning walk would help?

I just worry about him eating the pens, althought he hasnt eaten the ink yet, I was thinking of trying an empty drinks bottle with all the wrappers taken off see if that will get him playing as well.

Yep he only chews when we're not there. Crate training is becoming way forward I think!

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by Erika-91 on Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:59; edited 1 time in total
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 11:56

Thanks Kylie, I think we may have to start morning walks as well
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:00

Erika-91 wrote:Will try the ignoring tactics when he goes in the house, my friend has been telling him off for doing it. Yeah he only gets walked when we get back from work? Do you think a morning walk would help?

Telling him off is a complete waste of time - he won't understand that he's done something wrong. If he starts to crouch or lift his leg while you're there, then by all means a firm "No!" and take him outside, but otherwise your friend has been telling him off for whatever he was doing when they came into the room - it might even have been for wagging his tail & saying hello! Sad

A morning walk is essential. That'll not only allow him to empty himself fully, but will tire him out & make him more comfortable/less stressed when you go out. If you can, take him out for at least half an hour before you go out to work.

A little tip as well - when you go out, don't fuss him, don't say "goodbye" etc. Just get yourself ready, get his stuff ready & just go. Make out that it's nothing unusual & he'll pick up on your attitude & may settle better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:10

I would also advise a walk before leaving him. This way he is tired out and will be less likely to suffer from seperation anxiety when you are away.

If you have a friend, neightbor, family member or can find a quality dog walker to take him out after the 3-3 and 1/2 hour mark that would be benefical as well.

If he is chewing certain areas bitter apple or vicks will help discourage the behaviour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:15

He's only been told off for doing it when we've actually caught him and gets no fuss when we do leave. The only communication he gets when we leave is stay if he tries to follow us out as the front door opens into the living room.
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:30

I am the other mummy to Alfie :-) So would crate training be a good idea? What is the proper way to carry out crate training? eg how long should he be left etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:38

Have a read of this it may help Big Grin

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/cratetraining.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:42

Erika-91 wrote:He's only been told off for doing it when we've actually caught him and gets no fuss when we do leave. The only communication he gets when we leave is stay if he tries to follow us out as the front door opens into the living room.

OK. Don't tell him off, though. If you catch him, then a firm "no" but not a telling off.

An anxious dog (and a recently rehomed dog will be anxious) will often slip with toilet training for a while. Consistency & patience will see you through it. And a good cleaning solution! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:45

Thanks everyone for your tips. Has anyone here used crate training? I know there are tips online etc but just wandered what real people acrtually do? We were thinking of either getting a dog gate which will be taller so he wont jump or a crate. Which would be better?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:48

Dempsey has a crate, but he was never left in it for more than 2 or 3 hours & at night. Even at night I would get up at about 4am & let him into the garden.

The crate is now his 'den' (it's covered on the top & three sides to make it cosy & feel safe) and the door is only shut if we have workmen etc in because he doesn't like strangers much!

A crate is great for a chewer - at least you know he won't be chewing electrical wires! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 12:49

Lots of people use crates on here Smile I sort of do, It is similar although it is a bigger cage and outside.. It just means when I'm at work I know my girl is safe and hasn't escaped or been hurt or destroyed my house and yard Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:17

Crate training sounds like a plan, he will feel more secure and you can leave him with some safe things to chew like a stag bar or a nice nylabone. Plastic bottle with no label is a good idea, my chihuahua X hates most toys but loves bottle lids, you could make some holes through the middle of 5 or 6 and thread a string with knots in it through them to make a plasticky toy Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:23

The only concern I have with crate training is that he'd be in there for a long part of the day, about 7 hours when we're at work and then again at night when he goes to bed. Could this cause him distress?

He's understandably going to be anxious but his previous owner hadnt finished toilet training or even told us what she did, all we were told is she left him in the kitchen and that he'd wee on the paper? So Im unsure how much of it is anious behaviour and how much of it is just that he doesnt know any different?
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:30

Jellytot wrote:What about crate training him? How long are you out for?

I def agree. Crate training is an awesome way to make your dog feel like he has a place of his own. A lot of problems you may have could just be from nervousness to a new environment. Crate training def helped me at the start. Maybe not the best for extended periods of time though. A nice crate with comfy blankets, covered with a duvet or blanket will work wonders, just leave the door open. You will see them pop up second hand too because people buy them and don't use them or they become too small etc.

Also, between myself and my girlfriend we have three dogs. I got the three of them Kongs which you can fill with whatever you see fit and it will keep your pup occupied for ages. My boy gets his filled with mashed broccoli cooked in meat stock with a few bits of his favourite thing...ham. You then freeze them and it takes ages for the dog to get all the food out. They are pretty inexpensive so you could maybe try that for your shifts at work Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:40

Thanks Mat

I did look at one of the Kong toys, but he wont go near toys, its like he doesnt know how to play.

Your point about nervousness makes sense, he follows us around every where when we are in the house and seems really happy but could this be that he just wants comfort?
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:50

Logan follows me absolutely everywhere. Even sits at the shower door and waits for me to come out. So don't worry about that. At least he isn't fearful!

Some dogs are just not toy motivated, the benefit I found with the Kong was it could be filled with tasty food. Logan is a greedy hound so he loves it. Maybe worth trying.

The only to bare in mind is that Alfie is a rescue dog and it could take him a wee bit longer to adapt and except his surroundings. I have had a few, it can take a bitta patience and you can naturally feel like it's your fault for doing something wrong. But it isn't. Just give him his time and he will work out the bulk of it himself. Rescue dogs tend to be the most loving and grateful dogs after they learn to except you.

I really think crate training would be a good idea like the others have said. But for your work shifts just leave the door open, he will most likely be in there the whole time sleeping anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 13:55

No he isnt fearful at all, he loves being centre of attention!

He's got soemthing similar to a kong and we put peanut butter in it and he loved it but soon got bored of it and just came running back to us.

Thanks for all the advice.
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 14:03

You need to work on the walking a lot as well to settle him down , is it not possible to get someone to pop in half way through the day whilst you are out and give him a walk or at least let him out to the toilet and spend a little time with him. He needs to have a good walk in the morning before you go to work , try getting him out for 45mins - 1 hour and that should help him settle and you should really be trying to get him out for the same on a night , if there are 2 of you in the house then you can share the morning and night walks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 14:06

Thanks everyone. So does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do for in the day when we are at work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 14:10

Erika-91 wrote:No he isnt fearful at all, he loves being centre of attention!

He's got soemthing similar to a kong and we put peanut butter in it and he loved it but soon got bored of it and just came running back to us.

Thanks for all the advice.

No worries. There will always be someone on here that knows the answer! Make sure to get some pictures up too! My girlfriends Dad's dog had an (accidental) litter of Staff Russells a few months back and they were some of the nicest looking little pups ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 14:46

Are we expecting too much too soon? We have only had him a few days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:10

EllieSmith wrote:Are we expecting too much too soon? We have only had him a few days

Probably! But don't despair - it will come good in the end. Being a rescue, you have two things to think about,
1. The usual training so that the dog knows the house rules &
2. Combatting anxiety caused through possibly a bad past, and the move to a new home & new owners.

It can take several months for a rescue to fully settle into its forever home, but you should start to see some improvement in a short space of time - maybe as little as a week or so.

Keep plugging at it, and we're here if you need to let off steam! >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:16

Thanks Caryll! I think we just need to be a bit more patient with him, he is still only young

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:37

Yeah, he's young and he's also in a new home, he needs a bit of time to get used to things. Plus, he's probably never had much training before, so it'll take him a while to get used to it. I'd definitely recommend crate-training, it stopped Loki causing a lot of destruction to the house. With the chewing, just say no, and then give him something else to chew on. StagBars are good, you can get them from Pets At Home or also Amazon. I think an extra walk in the morning would help too, then he'll be more likely to settle down when you do leave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Erika-91 Thu Jan 10 2013, 15:38

Will do Mat, yeah he is gorgeous! Looks just like a staff but more of a jack russell size
Erika-91
Erika-91

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 16:36

Wow how much has changed since this post Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 08 2013, 18:18

EllieSmith wrote:Wow how much has changed since this post Big Grin

you shoudl be proud of your self ellie!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 18:34

Thanks rebecca i am a little Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by wendy1971 Sat Mar 09 2013, 07:19

welcome to the forum Smile
wendy1971
wendy1971
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New to all this  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : miley and dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 2 and a half
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Mar 09 2013, 15:30

A little tip I used for crate training......I used to hide little treats in his bedding when he wasn't looking then when he went to his crate he would find them and so looked forward to going in.

Re telling him off when he is about to go when you are there....all he learns from that is not to go in front of you. This could lead to him being reluctant to go in front of you outside too. As Caryll says a sharp " NO " and positive reinforcement, praise etc. when he goes outside.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down