Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal?

+5
Lizzie
Jackieb
Dan330
rescuestaffords
jola139
9 posters

Go down

Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal? Empty Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal?

Post by jola139 Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:00

It's me again with neverending questions. Debo is 10mnth old,he knows his commands but sometimes chooses which one listen to. Our friends keep saying that he's a problem-he jumps up,pull sleaves,lickes their kids,can't calmed down when new people are around. One walk he's much better with passing people then he was before but dogs is another matter. He would pull towards them just to say hello. It's not that we don't do any thing about it. We do. We don't let him to jump on us and it works in 90%,we tell the same to our visitors but as soon as he jumps they pushed him away and it's game for him. On walks, I stay positive and when spot a dog try to get his attention. So I do try. So do you think he still to young and he will come around?
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal? Empty Re: Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal?

Post by rescuestaffords Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:08

All i'm going to say is...he's 10months! Most things go out the window at that age and they act like they've had no training...but keep with it and he'll come out the other side.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal? Empty Re: Is Debo really overexited pup? Or it's normal?

Post by Dan330 Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:16

Monty is ten months old... you have just described him perfectly! Crying or Very sad
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:20

Dan,great it's not just me.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:28

No, not just you! He's a teenage hooligan! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:32

Well he's still a pup ! Doing puppy thing BUT should bf able to bf controlled around young kids or ppl who don't appreciate staffy kisses etc !

My girl Diesel is almost 2yrs and as loopy as they come, she just adores everyone n anyone ! She will shower j in kisses given half the chance. She has learnt to sit in her bed when ppl come round. Once shes calm I allow her to be greeted and petted.
I tell visitors soon as they walk in the door 'plz ignore the dog's '

It works, but u need to be consistent 100% of the time, u don't want ur dog being a hindrance.

Train him to keep out the way until invited to join in the greetings. Ask friends, family to ignore him etc. U are in control, Debo does what u tell
Him.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:35

Harvey is 2 and will still go mental when people come to the house if we let him. He's obsessed with trying to lick peoples faces and ears and jumping all over them.

He is always brought to them on a lead and made to sit for a calm fuss, any sign of him getting over excited he is put in the back room behind the baby gate and then back in when calm etc

He will learn eventually

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:39

The thing is when people visit us his mind is on diffrent level,like switched off.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:50

Pretty normal behaviour for a staffie his age. Mine is 4 nearly 5 and even he can forget himself when he is over exited. Big Grin

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:58

jola139 wrote:The thing is when people visit us his mind is on diffrent level,like switched off.

Ofc.

'omg visitors omgomgomg'!!!!!!!

U need to send him to bed/crate or make him sit. Before u open the door.

When the ppl come in he must wait until u say he can greet etc.

When I let my girl greet, it's controlled, quick hello, quick pet then bk to her bed or I'm the other room. She knows the score. Whereas my pup Tank is super chilled n dosent give a rats backside who visits...,he says hello then goes to sleep or just mooches about.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:10

jola139 wrote:The thing is when people visit us his mind is on diffrent level,like switched off.

yep it's normal and exactly how harvey is

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Mon Jan 07 2013, 19:34

Bacon is the same age and I must say I struggle with this as well! I can't offer much help, but it's nice to hear it's not unusual (Our dogs still have hope!).

I now warn people to not greet him until he sits or lies down and if he tries to lunge and leap for the face to back off and ignore until he sits or lies down again. He's slow to learn, but he's getting better every time. The impulse control is very difficult for him. Big Grin

Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 19:41

Yeah don't despair Jola, Debo is just being a normal pup. My Kuchar is the same and he's a year old now, although he does calm down with visitors EVENTUALLY.

They just love people don't they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviec Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:44

"hooligan" best description of cass! he's a nightmare at the moment! still wouldn't be without him though. Although i must say he's the only thing that has ever tested my patience to the absolute peak.
Steviec
Steviec

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Cassius
Dog(s) Ages : Born 24/5/2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:53

My Skye is 2 and still goes loopy with visitors so is either in her cadge or on a lead Buster is total opposite he will say a quick hello then mooch about the only thing with buster is he doesn't like too much fuss and can quickly get overwhelmed so he will put himself in his cadge
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 15:56

Staffs seem to be an excitable breed, and certainly the young ones. Loki is exactly the same. In fact, even worse, Loki still tries to bite people out of excitement Rolling Eyes just strangers. Hopefully a combination of age and training will allow them to calm down just enough to learn Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:27

So how much longer till he's calmer? We do all the above but sometimes it looks like he doesn't want to learn. Specialy with kids,when we put him in his cage,he just lays there heavily breathing. I think we just have to keep up with the training, wait till he's older and stop listean to other people's opinions.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jan 08 2013, 21:37

Caryll wrote:No, not just you! He's a teenage hooligan! Big Grin
Says it all lol and so true...welcome to the teens and you know nothing he knows all. Marley exactly the same at that age and laska getting there now... Fun isnt it .... Wink
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 21:58

Very normal and just the teenage phase which will pass in time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 22:02

2-3 months ago I was thinking the same stuff , excessive jumping , talk by teeth , sleeve pulling . Not 100% there yet but massive improvement jyus stick with it , love is unconditional so patience ha to be too Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Wed Jan 09 2013, 14:12

Just out of interest.... how long does the teenage phase last?

(please say 2 weeks, please say 2 weeks, please say 2 weeks)
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 14:23

Mine is now nearly 13 months and he is starting to calm down with visitors, it seems very common in the breed. Try and find a way to occupy him when someone is coming in. I tried putting Logan outside until everyone was in and sitting down but this made it 100 times worse.

What I do now is when I go to open the door to greet someone I make sure he gives me a few metres space before I open the door (it might take a while but just make your visitors wait, in the long run it's less hassle). Then when I open the door I give my visitor one of his toys to give him once he sits for them. Whatever the reason behind it, he then seems totally satisfied and it makes him just go off and play with his toy.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Jan 09 2013, 16:33

Mat,love your avatar. And Debo is the same,if we remove him from the room because he was jumping ,he will come back double the devil. Have to agree,when we try to keep him busy he will mind his businness. Great tip about the visitors offering him his toy. Will try that.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 18:05

Haha thanks a lot, it's hard to take pictures of my boy unless he has a teddy wedged in his mouth! Try it and hopefully it'll work. It works well with my menace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 18:17

Dan330 wrote:Just out of interest.... how long does the teenage phase last?

(please say 2 weeks, please say 2 weeks, please say 2 weeks)

Ok. Two weeks.

Yeah, and you believe that? Rolling Eyes

It soooo depends on the dog. I've known some that were hooligans at 18 months, others were calmer by about a year. I think "Keep your fingers crossed" is probably the best advice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Thu Jan 10 2013, 10:14

He drove me nuts last night... ended up with him on a short lead with me in the house... he was bouncing of the walls and then barking constantly. Took him on a 2 hour walk and he still wouldn't give up!
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down