It's been a while...

4 posters

Go down

It's been a while... Empty It's been a while...

Post by Skye86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 16:53

Hello again everyone, it's been a while since I last posted here and a lot has gone on in the meantime!
Well, myself and Dean decided we wanted to take on another Staffy and decided to rescue! Well, we got Butch, who all in all is a very happy, handsome and lovely lad (Will add pics at the end!)
We were told he's about 4, and family circumstances forced them to part with him, which is fine.

BUT... We have noticed he's very wobbly, his back legs in particular but also his front, it doesn't seem to bother him much but quaking is quite violent at times. He's got a vacant stare about him and tends to take a bit of telling to do something, like he's ignorant but he's not, it's like he doesn't understand til the 15th time of telling him!
Well, I'm a computer happy Googler, and came across L-2-HGA and needless to say he fits the bill well and I'm also quite worried.

As a family we love him already getting rid is NOT an option but looking around on the internet doesn't give me anything other than symptoms. DOes anyone have any experience of dogs affected by it? Or any idea of the prognosis?

We will get him tested in the new year, right now it's not financially viable, but we will do everything possible to make his life the best it can be!
I'm also suspicious of the circumstances in which we got him, he's a brilliant family dog, loves kids and animals alike, very handsome too...Maybe this is why they got rid of the perfect family pet?

Skye, Dean and Butch.
It's been a while... 224961_309025245865617_58166262_n_zps200b057a
Sorry about the quality...
It's been a while... 382793_309037635864378_1428239267_n_zpsf69a6d6c
Skye86
Skye86
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 12/5/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

It's been a while... Empty Re: It's been a while...

Post by Skye86 Thu Dec 27 2012, 16:57

Forgot to add that he also walks very stiffly, like his legs don't bend properly, like he's got Smarties tubes on his legs or something, and you can see his muscles cramp/contract too when it's at it's worst!
Skye86
Skye86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 27 2012, 16:58

I'm sorry but I can't be of any help, but I hope you get things sorted, very handsome lad Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27 2012, 16:58

Handsome boy , sorry I can't advise on anything but hopefully someone can help you soon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Dec 27 2012, 17:05

He certainly is very handsome, have you seen the vet about the problem yet ? You may want to ask if it could be a bit of arthritis in his joints which would be treatable if not cured. The link below may be of some use, please have a read through:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/l-2-hga.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27 2012, 17:08

Great to hear from you! And well done for giving butch a forever home!

The testing for L2-HGA is about £70, or thereabouts. I think you can send samples direct, and not through your vet so that might be a bit cheaper.

Have a look here...
http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtbc/health_issues.htm
I think they give a link to where you can get the tests done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye86 Sun Dec 30 2012, 20:26

Thanks everyone. Going to get him tested as soon as I get him booked in for his little fellas off, poor Butch has got it all going on! lol.
Regardless of the results he's found his forever home with us, the thought that he may of been discarded because of it already is bad enough. Sad
Skye86
Skye86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30 2012, 20:29

So glad to hear that Butch has found his forever home - let's hope that it is "just" arthritis. Do keep us updated. Good luck to Butch >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Dec 30 2012, 20:37

well done for rescuing him very sorry to hear of his predicament. Great news your going to stick by him and yes maybe the previous owners did know he was ill. At least he will be in your great care and not be rehomed. we hope everthing turns out well for you good luck he is gorgeous Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye86 Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:11

Hello again folks. Just a bit of am update on Ol' Butchy boy! Been to the vets today and had him checked out, he said the leg issues were down to slightly smaller hips (With a incredibly long medical name) which shouldn't cause him too much discomfort, as his muscle mass is fine so he's fine with them. He's got a small heart murmer though, which is sometimes common within bull breeds and also won't be an issue!

So, all in all he's in quite good nick bless him! Although, he's guessing he's more 6+ than the 4 we got told! lol

Oh and here's an extra pic of my two, sitting still for more than a minute! Smile
(Poo It's been a while... 564536_311906002244208_459617239_n_zps7e1b54c0quality, sorry!)
Skye86
Skye86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:42

Rhank you for the update Sarah - it's good to know that Butch is going to be OK.

And what a LOVERLY picture of both dogs, looking so happy together.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 04:32

Skye86 wrote:Hello again folks. Just a bit of am update on Ol' Butchy boy! Been to the vets today and had him checked out, he said the leg issues were down to slightly smaller hips (With a incredibly long medical name) which shouldn't cause him too much discomfort, as his muscle mass is fine so he's fine with them. He's got a small heart murmer though, which is sometimes common within bull breeds and also won't be an issue!

So, all in all he's in quite good nick bless him! Although, he's guessing he's more 6+ than the 4 we got told! lol

Oh and here's an extra pic of my two, sitting still for more than a minute! Smile
(Poo It's been a while... 564536_311906002244208_459617239_n_zps7e1b54c0quality, sorry!)

Such a sweet picture Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum