Ozzy, the new family member

4 posters

Go down

Ozzy, the new family member Empty Ozzy, the new family member

Post by Sara n Ozzy Thu Nov 29 2012, 14:35

Hi, I have just adopted a 4 yr old Staffy dog called Ozzy from RSPCA. I have never had a staffy before and he is certainly challenging but great fun but need some help and advice from anyone experienced. I have only had him a week so we are getting to know each other and know its early days

He has a history ( better than a stray) but dont know how much training he has had. He sits and gives a paw. Gets hyper about going for a walk and barks like mad.

This is what i need some help with please

1. Collar or harness, and which one? he's a nightmare puller and i'm not that strong. Now its becoming colder, i am wary he may pull me over on any ice, he is far too strong for the kids at the moment
2. no idea what he is like with other dogs, what is the best way to find out?
3. he is very protective over toys and reluctant to give anything away, especially my cushions on the sofa, no matter what i try and tempt him away with
4. How do i stop him climbing on the sofa
5. He has a few manners but not many, what is the best way to teach him to lie down, go to bed wait etc
6. what is the best football to buy, i bought a mega strong one with handles both sides, in a week he has popped it and nearly destroyed it and certainly wont drop it for me to throw it for him, he just tears about in the garden shaking it like a mad thing very funny to watch
7. when out and ask him to sit, which he does, why does he sit on my feet with his back towards me?

I know he is trying to establish himself to see where he is in the pack but any help whatsoever would be appreciated, I love him to bits already but we both need to learn the rules

Any assistance would be appreciated before my arms drop off and the house is detroyed

Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Ozzy, the new family member Empty Re: Ozzy, the new family member

Post by pal Thu Nov 29 2012, 15:05

Hello and welcome to the forum.
They have here the section for new members which is really nice to introduce ourselves.
It sounds like you need quite a bit of training, staffies are very easy to train but maybe you do need to enrol in some training classes especially because you need to learn too not just him.
I can tell you what I did with my doggy but it doesn't mean it'll work for yours. Oh btw, I love pictures...... Could you maybe post any?? pretty please?
Macy sits on my foot and gives me her back as well, some doggies do that because they're bum gets cold, but some say it's because they feel like they are protecting you.
Macy has an harness but Im not using it now. I use the canny collar for her.
You can try the half check collar but definitely not the chock chain, I had some staff at pet shop confusing the two.
Also they do destroy toys very easily, maybe you could try kongs, stag bars, and Macy loves hard vynil toys from gor-pets but they have in the forum the section called "tried and tested".
Probably a member of the staff of the forum will post a reply directing you better than me.
Please don't loose your patience with him. All dogs need training.
If you want to stop him coming on the sofa, you could try a firm NO or DOWN and help him down the sofa (if he's already up) very gently then say Good Boy.
I tought Macy the lay down by showing her with my index and middle finger what I meant for down, I kind of indicated her (its a bit difficult to explain sorry), some people use the leg method.
Same with the bed, tell him BED and walk him gently to it, when he lays in it say Good boy.
He's obviousely very energetic and they are powerful dogs and I don't mean to be rude but I do think some training classes would benefice you and him both.

Last edited by doggypal on Thu Nov 29 2012, 15:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too many typing mistakes)
pal
pal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Thu Nov 29 2012, 15:08

Ok sorry about all the typing mistakes. Hope its clear enough.
Smile

Oh and well done in getting a staffy. Wink
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Thu Nov 29 2012, 15:10

Hi welcome we have a 2 year old rescue dog and its taken her nearly 7 months to start to settle. She barks at the window and does many silly things but she has improved a lot since we got her
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Thu Nov 29 2012, 15:23

Mind Sara Im still learning things! I thought seating on Macy's rope toy would hold it down and make it difficult for her but nop! I was wrong!
Laughing
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Thu Nov 29 2012, 17:31

1. Collar or harness?
If he's too strong for you try a head collar. They make alot of sense. just think how big a horse is and yet it can be controled with a head collar (harness) My Romeo is with a harness but i dont so much mind the pulling, he's normally rather well behaved.

2. no idea what he is like with other dogs.
If you know some one with a friendly and well balanced dog maybe trying to introduce them in nutral grounds would be good. I wouldnt let him off lead at first though, just incase.

3. he is very protective over toys.
is he protective or just stubborn? Romeo wont give me his toys or bones, i have to yank them from him or scold him rather loudly before he'll give up. But if he is protective... does he growl or show signs of agression at you when you try to take them?

push him off, firm NO when ever he tries to get on... and repeat, until he gets the message.

5. He has a few manners but not many, what is the best way to teach him.
If you go on youtube there are litterly HUNDREDS of videos for dog owners to help teach their dog different things. thats is now i managed with mine.

6. what is the best football to buy.
get a boomer ball a little bigger then his biting ability, i think that is what most people here have. I know my boy likes just normal foot balls, i buy a cheap new one every now and then .

7. when out and ask him to sit, which he does, why does he sit on my feet with his back towards me?
That one i dont know. Romeo always trys to sit on my left side. It might just be his way
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 21:29

Taryn gave excellent advise. For the pulling you could also try turning around and changing directions everytime he pulls. Takes awhile to get where your going but they do get the message in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 22:23

1. Collar or harness, and which one?
I use a harness, but I think the head collars are meant to be good. When he pulls, stop walking for a moment. Or change direction. Takes a long time to get anywhere, but consistency is the key.

2. no idea what he is like with other dogs, what is the best way to find out?
Do you know any well-behaved, dog-friendly dogs? If so, have you and the other dog's owner walk both of your dogs together. Let them have a sniff at first, and then walk them together, not close at first, and see how they get on from there.

3. he is very protective over toys and reluctant to give anything away, especially my cushions on the sofa, no matter what i try and tempt him away with
Does he growl if you come near them, or is he just not happy with giving them away? If he growls, it's a sign of him being possessive. If not, he just needs to be taught "drop it." Show him a nice treat like some chicken or something really tasty, and tell him to drop it. When he drops it, reward him. At first, practice it with simple things and then work your way up.

Whenever Loki looked like he was going to get on the couch, I'd say "ah-ah!" and he'd stop, and then I'd praise him. If he's really stubborn, I guess you could use bribery at first, but only while he's just starting out.

5. He has a few manners but not many, what is the best way to teach him to lie down, go to bed wait etc
Practice lie down and stay. If he doesn't already know to stay, teach him very slowly, move back just one step and then reward him. Take it from there, gradually increasing the time and distance. Then you can teach him to stay/wait for food and things like that. As for going to his bed, get a treat and get him to follow you to his bed, while repeatedly saying "go to bed," and eventually he'll know what you mean.

6. what is the best football to buy
I don't know, toys don't last very long with Staffs Laughing I bought a rubber ball with handles called Interball or something like that. He's wrecked it but it's still going strong. StagBars are great for them to chew on, they last ages, you can get them at Pets At Home. Kongs are good too.

No idea about that one Laughing

So yeah, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new addition to your family Smile with the right training, he'll make great progress. Keep us updated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down