not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on

3 posters

Go down

not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on Empty not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on

Post by BetsyBoo Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:30

Hello all

I've been working with this for a few weeks now and some days are better than others, but after a good few days of rain I am feeling deflated.

When the weather is really bad and like this afternoon when I couldn't get her out we'll do games/training/mental activity in doors, but as I live in a flat I'm keen for toileting at least. Sometimes we can't manage this and accidents are becoming more of a regular occurance. Once Betsy is out in the rain, playing she doesn't give two hoots! I'm concerned as Betsy doesn't get the play and interaction she needs for other dogs. She's a very sociable gal.

I brought Betsy a waterproof and thermal coat - this morning she was visably shaking and this has been a struggle. For the last week I've been working on positive association so eating and playing with it on, but as soon as it comes to going out with it she's not happy and the paws go down refusing to budge.

I noticed not wanting to go out in the dark became worse after the fireworks understandably. In the summer months (I homed Betsy in spring) she seemed fine with the dark. Some evenings we manage it and others not. When we do there's lots of praise.

I've tried getting her excited before we go, to the usual routine, to using the ball once she's out the door. Betsy loves her ball and became a bit obsessed with it so Im using it as a reward for good behaviour, to even treats. My thinking with the treats is I didn't want to get to reliant on them in case it encourages the behaviour I'm trying to avoid. I may be wrong with this?

Any help or tricks of the trade you've used would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Sam
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on Empty Re: not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:38

May be try getting a favourite toy associated with the coat/going outside instead of the treats. This will reinforce going outside with something good.

I must admit this weather would put off the most seasoned dog walkers it really has been atrocious out there for the last few days.Do you have any dog walking friends you could maybe meet up with at the park as this will also be a positive thing for Betsy to remember about being outside, that she gets to say hello to some people too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on Empty Re: not wanting walkies if it's raining, dark or the coat's on

Post by BetsyBoo Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:53

Thanks Kathy. Out of all her toys her ball seems to be her favourite, but I will try a squeaky tug toy too- thanks. Every fews steps......tug and squeak!

Betsy has quite a few good friends who we usually see when we go out. Although not for the past few days Sad She's so sociable that we end up meeting a few new folk and doggies every time.

Perhaps as you say it's a tough time to get most doggies out. It's not so bad on the days I'm here as I can try again in between the rain, but when I work the thought of her being home without a walk does make me sad
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 16:59

Lily hates her coat, she used to freeze in a funny position and not budge. Ive tried treating her but she hates it whereas Lola was the same at first but she is now ok with her coat.

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Tue Nov 27 2012, 17:01

This horrible November weather is a total pain in the backside isn't it. Like you we have been upping the indoor activities, because the past couple of eves Dexter won't go for long at all even with me and I can usually charm him round with my mummy skills Laughing I cannot wait for a bright crisp day like we had the other week, I am fed up of squelching everywhere underfoot! Hope using the toys and treats helps to motivate Betsy, and fingers crossed we get some better weather soon!!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Tue Nov 27 2012, 17:13

Oh yes when Betsy wore her coat the first few times she froze and had a face like thunder! The progress is she will now walk in it albeit indoors, but this has taken weeks!
This morning when we were out she was shaking and there were the doggies with their coats on all toasty. I shrugged and Betsy cocked her head at me.

It is a comfort to hear it's not just as struggling with the walks these days. Ha- re the mummy charm. Yes I'm running out of tricks!
The colder weather is on the way so lets hope the bright crispness returns
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down