Contraceptive Injections

4 posters

Go down

Contraceptive Injections Empty Contraceptive Injections

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:37

Ok, I've already done a bit of research about this, and it seems like the general opinion is negative.
But I was wondering what peoples opinions on here were.
Leaim doesn't want Molly to be spayed, I do, we don't want to breed from her, but Leaim is concerned about her weight gain, but I don't want to deal with the blood and worry of her getting to a male.
So, we've been talking about contraceptive injections, an ex friend of ours uses them on his pugs as he shows them, and apparently they have to be intact for this.
What do people think of these? I've read that it can cause a LOT of problems, but then other people have said they've used it for years and had no trouble, is it a bit of 6 of one half a dozen of the other?
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Contraceptive Injections Empty Re: Contraceptive Injections

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 11:42

If you don't intend to breed, and the seasons are a real pain, then I'd get her spayed. She'll only put on weight if you over feed her!! It's a misconception that a dog will automatically put on weight after neutering. Some will get a little lazier, but if you excercise her & feed her properly it won't be a problem.

I don't like the injections, not because the work/don't work, but because I don't like filling dogs up with chemicals unless absolutely necassary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 12:56

Caryll wrote:If you don't intend to breed, and the seasons are a real pain, then I'd get her spayed. She'll only put on weight if you over feed her!! It's a misconception that a dog will automatically put on weight after neutering. Some will get a little lazier, but if you excercise her & feed her properly it won't be a problem.

I don't like the injections, not because the work/don't work, but because I don't like filling dogs up with chemicals unless absolutely necassary.
Completley agree x

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 02 2011, 12:56

I'm afreaid I have very litle knowledge on the injections and I would agree with Caryll, getting her spayed is the safest option x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 13:44

Just confirmed exactly what I've been thinking, I wish men weren't so bloody stubborn!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 13:47

Hahaha! They're all the same!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:00

They are all the same I am having the do we get Ty chopped or not argument with my o/h lol I want him done as I dont want to breed him think there are enough Staffys in kennels and what not plus I dont want his pups being raised by smack heads training them to fight but the o/h wants him to keep them. But I will win this argument as he is my dog and he is registerd at the vet in my name so I will just take him when Will is in work one day lmao! Good luck with your debait Amy hope you get your own way lol
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:16

Spaying or neutering wont make them gain weight, letting them be lazy will i'v read how active you are with your girl and if you keep it up spaying will just mean no pups no seasons not weight gain.

But personally i wouldn't have the contraception medication pills daily or monthly/injections etc, you'll have to restart all the time if you miss, her own chemicals may react badly with the medication, having to change doses and i just don't like the thought really etc

its the same with males really people think its cruel to remove them, the male never being able to have fun anymore but thats not the case as Taz has shown me with Cassie being in season now he still got the drive and he can still do it how ever often he wants lol

Last edited by MissRogue on Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:24; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:18

Elishia, ask Will how he would feel if he had all the hormones he had but was never allowed to have sex, he might then see how it is for Ty. (Can ya tell I've been watching It's me or the dog recently lol)
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:44

Im in favour of spaying if your not going to breed. As said above they only put weight on if they are over fed. Blue is still eating the same amount as before he got neuted and it has made no difference. If they do start putting on weight just cut down the food. Apparently some dogs when they are done require less food for the same effect as previous
Good luck what every you decide and if you are anything like my wife.....you'll get your bloody own way for the sake of a bit of piece from being nagged to death Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:48

lol I'm sure I'll get my own way, either that or the vets will end up mentioning it enough times Leaim'll give in!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:12

Lol Amy thats a great point and I will be bringing that up when I see him tonight see what he says to that one lmao you gotta love Victoria Stilwell she takes no crap we should take a leaf out of her book lol.
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:46

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Elishia, ask Will how he would feel if he had all the hormones he had but was never allowed to have sex, he might then see how it is for Ty. (Can ya tell I've been watching It's me or the dog recently lol)
LMAO! rolling on the floor Its a classic! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley109 Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:55

blaze wrote:
Caryll wrote:If you don't intend to breed, and the seasons are a real pain, then I'd get her spayed. She'll only put on weight if you over feed her!! It's a misconception that a dog will automatically put on weight after neutering. Some will get a little lazier, but if you excercise her & feed her properly it won't be a problem.

Completley agree x

Snap! Will defo be getting Logan snipped when he's matured a bit!
Hayley109
Hayley109

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Logan
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:55

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Elishia, ask Will how he would feel if he had all the hormones he had but was never allowed to have sex, he might then see how it is for Ty. (Can ya tell I've been watching It's me or the dog recently lol)

I'm just watching that one Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down