what do i do

4 posters

Go down

what do i do Empty what do i do

Post by jennyh37 Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:03

I have a 7 half month old female staffy, and a 1 year old male staffy, he has been neuted. They have lived together comfortable for the last 6 months, until yesterday whilst out walking my female viciously turned and attacked the male, this happened twice on the walk. I am just worried incase this happens in the house with my children around, im worried for the safety of my children, for the dogs and im also worried on how i will ever seperate them. Could this be a sign of her coming in to season? she isnt bleeding but her bits are spollen, can someone please give me advice.

jennyh37
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : bella and tyson
Dog Gender(s) : female and male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

what do i do Empty Re: what do i do

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:09

Has anything changed in your circumstances? Has the routine altered at all? If not, then I'd say that she's likely coming into season. You'll often notice the swelling before the bleeding starts.

If I were you I'd take her to the vets to rule out any other health problem, and arrange to have her spayed once this season is over. Unfotunately you'll have to wait 3 months as the vet will only spay once her internal organs are all back to normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyh37 Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:13

No nothing has changed, they have been on many walks together in the past and nothing has ever happened like this, it has really shock me up. I love both of them so much, she has never shown any agression before, im just so worried in case she turns on my 2 year old daughter. Or they start on in each other in the house or garden. Sad

jennyh37

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:17

I doubt she'll turn on your daughter, but she may get caught up in the middle of a fight between the two dogs. Some * do get very cranky around the time of their season (especially their first season - bit like bad PMS!) but if she's gonna get narky with your male, then you need to do something. Herbal calming preparations may help, but there's no guarantee. tbh if you're concerned about your children & your other dog, and you're not gonna breed from her, the only thing you can do is have her neutered.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyh37 Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:25

what is herbel calming preperations ive not heard of this.
Will the dogs remember about the fight, and be more likely for this to happen again??

jennyh37

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01 2011, 19:30

The large pet stores normally stock a range of herbal preparations (normally either tablets or something to add to their water) to aid calmness. I honestly don't know how good they are, but they may be worth a try.

As to remembering, your boy will certainly remember and if he sees her getting umpy again he might decide to get in the first blow, so you're going to have to watch them closely for a while. Of course, it may never happen again, but the chances are it will. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Feb 01 2011, 20:09

As it your girls first season shell be anxious right now the dog is probably aware and maybe paying her unwanted attention just cause hes neutered they sometimes still mate. Some b****** are really nasty during this time and when there ready they are shoving themselves onto the male.This is probably whats happening and as they are on a walk they are too close for comfort and so are having a go at each other.My old girl was so down and depressed at season time she would cry and wouldnt let you near her rear end so I had her neutered and she was fine after.
Things may get a little worse before they get better you should put her in her place and show her its not acceptable but also let her have quiet time away from the dog.
dont ever leave them together while you go out and your dog may go off his food and whine its all normal im afraid Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:18

I always find that a bitch is very unhappy and uncomfortable around their first season. I think it must hurt them, I reckon they get really bad cramps or something. After the first they kind of know what is happening but it must be quite scary because they don't know they are in pain.

Lots of girl dogs will get snappy and won't act themselves at all around this time so its worth keeping an eye on them. I'm sure she will be fine with your children but you need to watch her around your other dog. Herbal/botanical preperations might work, they do for some dogs and dont for others
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 14:28

Caryll wrote:Has anything changed in your circumstances? Has the routine altered at all? If not, then I'd say that she's likely coming into season. You'll often notice the swelling before the bleeding starts.

If I were you I'd take her to the vets to rule out any other health problem, and arrange to have her spayed once this season is over. Unfotunately you'll have to wait 3 months as the vet will only spay once her internal organs are all back to normal.

Thats weird Caryll as the vets i'v spoken to actually spay while their in season, they spayed my ferret while in season as well.

Also it might be because she is coming into season as she does not want any males around her until she is ready.
but do what Caryll said go to the vets just to rule it out more than anything.

I'v noticed with Cassie (not spayed in season) now she is actually bullying Taz (been snipped) into it he'd rather chew his bone but she shoves her self onto him nips at him until he gets up and performs unless i'v told Cassie to back off and lay down, which i do now because it isn't fair on Taz.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:49

Sorry a bit off topic, thats a very strange vets you use MissR, you can never have a b**ch spayed in season, its has to be 3 months after the bleeding has stopped, its for health reasons because the blood vessels are too close to the surface and everything needs to settle
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:54

Janey wrote:Sorry a bit off topic, thats a very strange vets you use MissR, you can never have a b**ch spayed in season, its has to be 3 months after the bleeding has stopped, its for health reasons because the blood vessels are too close to the surface and everything needs to settle

Thats exactly what i thought and i know how things swell up as well and it will be harder to avoid but when i mention it they just said their past that kind of have to be so delicate like in the old days what with new equipment and technology etc

With my first female ferret the vet i used said she would have to have injections to bring her out of season which will be very aggressive at first fighting her hormones etc and i lost her a few weeks into treatment but when i mention to my current vet my Meer was in season and would need the injections to bring her out she said no no we can spay her straight away and she is fine now if not the usually b*t*ch because she was a stray i took in.

Last edited by MissRogue on Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:58; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:57

MissRogue wrote:
Janey wrote:Sorry a bit off topic, thats a very strange vets you use MissR, you can never have a b**ch spayed in season, its has to be 3 months after the bleeding has stopped, its for health reasons because the blood vessels are too close to the surface and everything needs to settle

Thats exactly what i thought and i know how things swell up as well and it will be harder to avoid but when i mention it they just said their past that kind of have to be so delicate like in the old days what with new equipment and technology etc

I totally disagree with your vets, technology may have changed but a dogs genetics haven't
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 15:59

Janey wrote:
MissRogue wrote:

I totally disagree with your vets, technology may have changed but a dogs genetics haven't

Of course they have not change genetically but i don't know what else to say really other than what my vet said and my current ferret Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:09

unless thats just ferrets not dogs????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:11

bigwazza wrote:unless thats just ferrets not dogs????

Well when i mentioned to the vets the other week about having Cassie done once she come out of season etc they said they can do it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:13

are you going to get her done now then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:20

As a matter of interest I phoned my vets & asked. They said they would never spay an in-season bit*h unless is was a medical emergency. They always wait for mid-season to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:25

bigwazza wrote:are you going to get her done now then

No i'm not the transport i got up to my vets is bus which take a good two hours which wouldn't be fair after an operation on her so i'm waiting for my step dad to finish work to take me up and getting Blondy done the same time.

Caryll i honestly don't know then unless its because of Cassie's hormone problem it would be classed as an emergency but if that was the case they would be pestering me like they did about having Blondy spayed because of her hernia.
If it was an emergency i'd of had her up there by now but i'v spoken to the vet many time inbetween and i'v brought up cassie because she likes to hear about them and its been no mentioning at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 16:30

i also just phoned my vets lol they said they only spay 3 months after season but know of vets that do spay at anytime including whilst in season but themselves only do later to reduce risks etc x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum