offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-)

4 posters

Go down

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) Empty offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-)

Post by Girly Tue Nov 13 2012, 16:51

hee hee! me again!

How on earth do you teach quiet? I just don't get it. I read about someone here getting their dog to bark wildly and then shut them up and the minute they stop, say quiet then treat. It's not working. I can teach her just about anything else but this (and to stop jumping up on people, but I'm giving up on that because most people she meets invite it hypnotised )

Help please!

Last edited by Girly on Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:54; edited 1 time in total
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) Empty Re: offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-)

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:25

How long have you been trying it for? Maybe you just need to keep doing it, it just might not have sunk in yet? But then, I suppose it depends on why she's barking.

Also, we need more recent pics of Jelly Big Grin

Back to top Go down

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) Empty Re: offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-)

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:27

We have been trying this one with Rocky, not that he barks a lot but it was when the fireworks were going off. We just keep saying quiet then when he stops give lots of praise. Keep at it I'm sure you will get there eventually.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:36

Moo barley barks, so never had to learn this one, I'm sure you'll get there Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:39

usually she barks if she hears a noise or hears another dog. sometimes though she barks if she is demanding food, the little devil. >Smile that's rare though and she gives up pretty quickly. We have been saying quiet to her since we got her as a puppy in April, and trying to reward her for it, but I feel like we're doing it wrong.

Here are some pictures Love Struck

this is her being dramatic the morning we left on vacation last week. such a sad puppy face!

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) 481039_10151310218026672_1167009444_n

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) 599114_10151310222641672_332579341_n

and this is her relaxing the day we got home and picked her up from her petsitter, who she had a GREAT time with, even though she was being so dramatic the morning we left

offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) 486957_10151310218151672_776669784_n
Girly
Girly
offshoot of barking topic I just posted - how to teach QUIET?? updated with recent Jellybean pictures :-) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 22:15

Have you tried teaching her to speak first and than teach quiet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Wed Nov 14 2012, 15:13

yeah, I was wondering about that... i don't know how to do that. I'm afraid if I teach her to speak, she'll never shut up LOL
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Nov 14 2012, 15:22

Wow she has grown Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Wed Nov 14 2012, 20:36

yep, she's a big girl now and so cute and funny Love Struck and evil (sometimes) >Smile

that trim little 9 month old pup is over 17 kg now! I don't think she'll get much bigger though, she has been hovering around this height and weight, give or take a bit, for a month or so now.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Nov 14 2012, 20:46

That face, she's perfected the 'u will feel guilty' look lol

<3 her xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 09:58

oh yes, she is very expressive. It's a shame that one with her a bit far away while she pouts is so small. Her brow is actually furrowed like she is about to weep.

correction - just got back from the vet for another mite scrape to see how she's doing and she is now just over 18 kg!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:03

When she barks tell her to speak and than praise her. After she will do so on command teach the quiet command the same way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:15

so if i teach her to speak on command, when she stops barking, tell her quiet and treat?
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down