How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it?

2 posters

Go down

How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it? Empty How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it?

Post by munschk Tue Oct 30 2012, 17:28

Sigh, I guess the old saying is true - "Staffy's do not start fights but they sure finish them."

Hiccup is usually a nice friendly dog, loves to meet other dogs and is usually very friendly and polite. However, if another dog attacks him, he will retaliate. Any ideas if its even possible to 'correct' this behaviour? (As in my opinion it is not so much wrong as inappropriate) Or will it get better as he gets older and out of his teenage years?

munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it? Empty Re: How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 17:31

Can't really expect him not to retaliate as would any other dog, more about being able to control him when he has a go and I suppose it depends what you mean when you say "attack", are we talking attack , barking , growling , stalking

Back to top Go down

How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it? Empty Re: How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it?

Post by munschk Tue Oct 30 2012, 17:37

Yep, that's how I feel too. It happens on and off leash, more so off leash. We have a group of 10-20 dogs that play off leash together in the park every day and occasionally we get 'newcomers'.

Hiccup will usually say a brief hello to new dogs and then carry on playing fetch but every now and again the other dog will take a dislike so to speak to Hiccup and go for him. If the other dog lunges and tries to bite Hiccup then he will jump into the fray so to speak. Its usually all big growls as we've always separated them immediately so no one has every been injured. Luckily he wears a harness and I will pull them apart and walk him away. He calms down very quickly and then picks up his ball and moves away.

For example, there is this Pekenese in the park that intensely dislikes Hiccup (they've known each other since puppies) and will go out of his way to attack Hiccup. Thing is, the Pekenese couldn't do much harm anyway, whereas Hiccup could.

On leash is no problem, if a dog goes for Hiccup I will immediately remove him from the situation, get him to sit and then move on with our walk.
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Tue Oct 30 2012, 21:15

oooh good question, not got this problem but would like to know answers
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How to stop a staffy attacking if the other dog starts it? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 21:25

I don't think it matters if your dog is a staff or any other breed, If it's attacked, then you must expect it to defend itself.

It's just that with Staffs, defense is usually attack!

I'd just do what you're doing - watch him & if a problem starts make sure you're near enough to step in. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down