mickgill
Rachel33
Keith
clarebear
9 posters

Go down

its like a bad joke Empty its like a bad joke

Post by clarebear Sat Oct 13 2012, 23:11

so. as i was going to bed last night i went round checking the doors and windows to make sure they were locked. as i do. every night. i got up for work this morning to hear scratching and what sounded like a heard of elephants running up and down the stairs. when i turned on the light what do i see? two dogs. TWO DOGS IN THE HOUSE!! we only have Tia!! obviously mine and dannys first thought was oh god somebodes broken in and a strays got in but after checking about nothing was taken however the back door was unlocked (i didnt actually lock it, i'd only half turned the key Straight Face )
we put the strange dog outside in the garden and assumed it was our neighbours because they have a new dog. nope. when i took him round to the neighbours their new dog came bounding out. confused was not the word. so i put a sign up in the local shop basically saying we'd found a boxer/staffy cross (no description of the dog because i didnt want just anybody saying "oh yeah its my dog" when it wasnt) anyway somebody claimed the dog, he was there pooch who CAN OPEN DOORS HANDLES!! he'd opened their back door, buggered off, sniffed about and opened our door.
alls well that ends well right?
wrong. the thing is... Tias in season, which is why we haven't been letting her interact with other dogs because we dont want her to have pups, if she has them until she's older (she's just turned 2)
how early can you tell if a bitch is pregnant? im hoping she's not and i feel like such a bad person and like an irresponsible dog owner (which i dont think i am, or am i?) for this happening. it doesnt even sound real. if someone had told me this i'd laugh at them and say yeah right a dog that can open doors? jog on.
but this week has been absolute trauma for me and my family and this is just the icing on the cake.
clarebear
clarebear
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tia
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

its like a bad joke Empty Re: its like a bad joke

Post by Keith Sat Oct 13 2012, 23:14

Quite an unusual story, it has to be said.

I can't give advice on the pregnancy side but I assume you saw for yourself that the other dog was intact?

One of my former foster dogs, Chloe, could open the bedroom doors, patio door and cupboards. Surprised
Keith
Keith
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by clarebear Sat Oct 13 2012, 23:17

yeah he was dangling away. we kept them apart until his owners came but he could have been in the house for up to 5 hours which has obviously given them plenty of time to do the hump.
i know im gonna need to take her to the vets for checking over (she needs to go again soon anyway for her nails trimming) but i kinda needed to let it all out
i feel like crap
clarebear
clarebear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Oct 13 2012, 23:46

Is she KC reg?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 00:40

Can't help with the pregnancy question but Suki can open doors and the refridgerator.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 00:47

OK. First question - how long has she been in season?

Second question - if she has mated with this dog, what are you prepared to do?

Rachel33 wrote:Is she KC reg?

That has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 08:37

Well you do have a solution , though it isn't cheap and it's personal choice, and is like the morning after pill / and abortive drug.
I was discussing this with our vet yesterday regarding the mismate jab as my boy's 2 dogs have had a get together.
The mismate jab has apparently been removed from the market and replaced with this which can be used from 1-2 days after up to 40 days after , only due to the short period which a dog is pregnant for then at 40 days , well you can imagine. At our vet the injection is in 2 dtages and is based on weight increments of 15kg at around £50 per 15kg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 14 2012, 09:07

Caryll wrote:OK. First question - how long has she been in season?

Second question - if she has mated with this dog, what are you prepared to do?

Rachel33 wrote:Is she KC reg?

That has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything! Surprised

Surprised .... the reason I was asking, was because if she was planning on breeding her non pure bred staffy with just any other staffy at some point it wouldn't really matter if it was now or at her next season and there wouldn't really be any need to panic.. however if it was a pure bred bitch and had a particular pure bred sire in mind then of course there would be a bit more of a problem and there were other routes that could be taken, although as Dave mentioned, they're not to everybody's taste. I'm not just going to write a full blown reply if I don't know all of the details!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by clarebear Sun Oct 14 2012, 09:33

shes not KC reg but the last time i took her to the vets he said as far as he could tell she is pure staff.
i wasnt going to breed her with just any other staff. i was going to make sure she enjoyed the dogs company, saw him on a regular basis, he had a nice tempermant and wasnt just being used for studding purposes. i hate people that breed dogs for the £££!!
she's been in season for about 10 days?
i couldnt let her have an abortion if she is pregnant. i couldnt bring myself to do it. if she is i'll make sure that any pups go to good, loving homes. im not bothered about getting money for them as long as i know they'll be loved.
clarebear
clarebear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 14 2012, 09:57

Okay, if you weren't breeding her for money, what was the reason for breeding her? Enjoying the dogs company and seeing him on a regular basis won't make any difference to her. You'll find out soon enough, your vet will be able to scan her in a little while just keep a close eye on her until then.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by clarebear Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:10

the reason for breeding her was to let her have a litter and be a mum... to have somethng that all females should experience? i wanted her to have a bit of alone time with us though before having to share us because chances are we'd end up keeping a pup
enjoying the dogs company and seeing him on a regular basis means that she would be building up a better relationship with other dogs too and have somebody to play with!
shes not just a pet, shes a part of the family
clarebear
clarebear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:42

take her to the vets, if shes pregnant abort the pups and get her done at the same time to avoid this happening again which it probably will - simple! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:44

clarebear wrote:shes not KC reg but the last time i took her to the vets he said as far as he could tell she is pure staff.
i wasnt going to breed her with just any other staff. i was going to make sure she enjoyed the dogs company, saw him on a regular basis, he had a nice tempermant and wasnt just being used for studding purposes. i hate people that breed dogs for the £££!!
i couldnt let her have an abortion if she is pregnant. i couldnt bring myself to do it. if she is i'll make sure that any pups go to good, loving homes. im not bothered about getting money for them as long as i know they'll be loved.

lmao this post is ludacris! I really dont even no what to say to any of it! Get ur dog spayed for gods sake woman!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:44

I think you're anthropomorphising slightly.. It's a complete myth that a bitch needs to have a litter..imagine if every owner in the world let their bitch have a litter because they wanted her to experience it?! We'd be completely over run., in fact we are completely over run!!

I guess what's done is done, and it's not really any of my business, but IMO there are more than enough staffy cross puppies about already.. I've got 73 waiting for homes currently (sometimes spending years and years in kennels) and every single other rescue centre in the UK is in the same position. Thousands get put to sleep every week simply because there are too many in the world and nobody wants them. I cannot agree with another litter coming into the world that isn't KC registered and simply for betterment of the breed or carrying on lines, so for this reason I won't comment any further on this thread. Good luck.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 14 2012, 10:46

blaze wrote:
clarebear wrote:shes not KC reg but the last time i took her to the vets he said as far as he could tell she is pure staff.

lmao this post is ludacris! I really dont even no what to say to any of it! Get ur dog spayed for gods sake woman!

Say what you think Carly lmao Laughing Totally agree though!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun Oct 14 2012, 11:13

I think if he had mated her you would have been woken by the sound of your dog crying unless you are an heavy sleeper of course, in my experience when a Bitch is mated for the first time there is an awful lot of banging around by both dogs, it's not a here we go jump on and off and it's done and first time your dog would have cried loudly , still might be best to get her tested just in case .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Sun Oct 14 2012, 11:51

Bloody hell, first I can see why you are worried - I would feel the same.

I think perhaps if you look at the bigger picture here, and at the worst case scenario, i.e if she is pregnant (although from what Mick says you would have heard all that kerfuffle surely so hopefully she isn't) puppies are a huge responsibility, if she has complications you are looking at worries, cost and extra care for your girl. You also have to find responsible homes, and this isn't a walk in the park either, what if you can't home them or all of them? I think it's an assumption a lot of owners makes that they want their dog to have puppies 'as nature intended' but nature certainly didn't intend for so many pups to be born and then to end up in rescues or with bad owners. It's a nice 'idea' when you think of mummy and puppies but you must look at the reality of how that situation can end up I'm afraid. You really should consider some of what Dave said, if she is pregnant nobody planned for this so it would be best not to continue it imo, good luck with making these decisions.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Sun Oct 14 2012, 11:56

Sorry, can I just add that registered breeders charge for the puppies not just for money, there is significant cost in bringing puppies into the world responsibly BUT also the cost can in a way reflect the seriousness with which a buyer approachs the situation. Free puppies could wind up with any old person, and backyard breeders charge less as they are in it for a quick buck. Do you have several responsible friends who all want a staffy x puppy? Bearing in mind how much work puppies are?
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Sun Oct 14 2012, 13:31

What a story, I hope Tia isn't pregnant. However our GSD Can open doors, well astleast he used to be able to in his earlier days!
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 16:06

Wow, what a nightmare. I hope she isn't pregnant. But it doesn't make you an irresponsible owner. Not locking the door properly is a simple mistake that anyone could make.

Regarding breeding her so she can experience it and have a litter, I wouldn't say that's a good idea. Responsible breeders tend to breed KC reg dogs, do health tests, make sure their temperaments are good, etc., to better the breed. Dogs aren't like people where they often have this deep yearning for motherhood. For animals it's just an instinct to continue their species. But it's already overpopulated, so many dogs unable to find good homes. Your dog won't be missing out by not having puppies. This is just my opinion, of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14 2012, 16:56

Have to agree with Tara and it doesn't seem to be in a dogs instincts to miss motherhood , though of cours they will go through their but whilst enduring it. If you were to personally ask my advice I would say there are way too many staffys out there already and we don't need to add to the numbers just spend a little time trawling the rescue sites and you will see for yourself. Nobody can force you to make your mind up in this way though

Back to top Go down

Post by clarebear Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:30

gee thanks for all the support. asking for help and advice about my dog (who was a rescue dog btw) and it turns into people having a go at me because im trying to weigh up all the options
we'll be finding out if shes pregnant as soon as we can book her in with the vets.
i never said that a bitch NEEDED to have a litter, i said it would be nice for her to experience it. i never said my mind was made up completely about it. i know why KC registered breeders charge so much. I understand how much hard work dogs are. the reason i said i wouldnt charge if we kept the puppies is because
1. i would make sure any potential owners realise how much hard work dogs are
2. i wouldn't let anybody have a pup i didnt trust
3. i would make sure it was going to a family who know that a dog is for LIFE and not to be thrown away.

now. when you're done being keyboard warriors could you put yourself in my shoes and realise i was asking for ADVICE not JUDGEMENT. thanks banghead
clarebear
clarebear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:37

If it were me I'd ring the vet in the morning , request a mismate jab.

It's not in ur girls best interests to go thru a pregnancy with a 'stray '

Ideally u wouldn't breed an unregistered staffy, there's s ton in rescue, leave it to the proper breeders, your girl won't give 2 hoots about having pups.

All these lil cute bundles of fluff are all well n good but finding proper good homes will be a nightmare. Homes where the pup isn't given up after a cpl of weeks cause it's chewed a pair or shoes or peed on the floor. Dogs have been dumped for less.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:47

Your situation is very unique to say the least Surprised
Breeding is a very touchy subject im afraid and cant help but think why its okay for some to breed and not for others I dont see why if your dog has a k c document that gives you the given right to breed tbh. I think you dont really need to answer to anybody if you are well prepared and are doing it for the right reasons and not for the paypacket it brings.
Talk it through with your vet maybe you have nothing to worry about I know rescues pick up the peices make sure there are no peices to pick up and you can justify breeding your not a back yard breeder to want your girl to have 1 litter Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:52

At least if a dog is registered I know what it is !

So many crosses around, who is to say the both aren't crossed ? And who would know ?
I'm just thinkin of pups, potential probs/defects etc. If ur dogs are reg and health tested at least u have the basics taken care of.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sun Oct 14 2012, 20:53

clarebear wrote:gee thanks for all the support. asking for help and advice about my dog (who was a rescue dog btw) and it turns into people having a go at me because im trying to weigh up all the options
we'll be finding out if shes pregnant as soon as we can book her in with the vets.
i never said that a bitch NEEDED to have a litter, i said it would be nice for her to experience it. i never said my mind was made up completely about it. i know why KC registered breeders charge so much. I understand how much hard work dogs are. the reason i said i wouldnt charge if we kept the puppies is because
1. i would make sure any potential owners realise how much hard work dogs are
2. i wouldn't let anybody have a pup i didnt trust
3. i would make sure it was going to a family who know that a dog is for LIFE and not to be thrown away.

now. when you're done being keyboard warriors could you put yourself in my shoes and realise i was asking for ADVICE not JUDGEMENT. thanks banghead

Hiya,

People are being a little vocal because the overcrowded dog world is something they feel strongly about, and something which has ramifications for us all.

I fully understand where you're coming from with regard to wanting your dog to have a litter - it's not for me to judge and declare it right or wrong, and I do empathise.

There's no "but" here, either - you must do what you feel is right.

Health checks are important for both dogs obviously if yours is to carry a litter.

For the record, I don't think she'll have been mounted - you'd surely have heard it.

The internet can be a difficult place to have a discussion. Sad
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Oct 14 2012, 21:23

If the deed is done and this person decides to keep the litter its no use attacking them health checks can be done on both the parents before the litter is born or the puppies when born as long as this person is responsible there are many crosses out there with loving homes.
I wanted a litter from my girl many years ago to keep a puppy myself and family members and freinds having the others I had homes for up to 8 wasnt charging any money just great homes they would be kc registered (health checks not around back then) I wouldnt say I was breeding for betterment of the breed just she had a fabulous temperment and the sire a great looker. I dont think I was being irrisposible wanting my girl to experience motherhood she wanted none of it so that answered me and she was neutered a short time later Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 14 2012, 21:52

This thread is being locked due to the original question being taken out of context and replies may have been misread.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down