+2
Tessa
bella3712
6 posters

Go down

Bella........... Empty Bella...........

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:26

Morning every1

I wanted to open a new thread. I have just reasd the desexing debate and I too don't want Bella to have puppies,
I am confused as well, My vet said Bella can have the op the middle of Nov, she will be 5 and a half months, I was talking to Hubby last night and He said he would rather wait until she has had her 1st season,.

But as you all know I have a 5 year old male dog Kai, so if she does go in season Sad ............ I know he will be trying to get hold of her, he already keeps cleaning her THERE lol, and Im going back to work next week,

advise would be appreciated please I'm really confused, I want to do best by Bella,.

Also Kai is sheperd/akita cross he is a very big boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE MESS Sad, dont get me wrong I'm not moaning at all as I had a labradoodle for 12 years female, and I let her have seasons but ended up with her having the op because she had pyametra

xxx

bella3712
bella3712
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Bella........... Empty Re: Bella...........

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:33

This is going to sound harsh, but why didn't you think of this before you got her?

Is there anybody who can look after one of the dogs when she comes in to season?

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:37

Well because I didn't to be honest and yes I do agree that is a bit harsh I only wanted some advise, also no there isn't any1 to look after her, also I didn't think it was good to have to 2 males in the house together also I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:44

Well, you only have two choices, then.

One, keep them in separate rooms at all times &

Two, neuter one of them.

I know I've offended you, and I'm sorry for that, but it just annoys me when there is so little thought put in to getting a pup. Sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tessa Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:44

Maybe you could get some of those pressure gates to separate your home. Keep the boys on one side and your girl on the other when you can't be there to watch. Bella........... Nn_bamboo_gate500
Tessa
Tessa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Amado
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/amado.richardson

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:52

We thought long and hard before we got Bella, and yes I am offended, I love both my dogs to bits and treat them very well, I have a kids gate at my kitchen door, so that a good idea I already thought about it thank you for replying to my posts
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 07:56

How big is the gate? If it's only 3 or 4 feet high, he'll be over it. You will either have to shut the door at all times or have a full height gate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 08:01

bella3712 wrote:We thought long and hard before we got Bella, and yes I am offended, I love both my dogs to bits and treat them very well, I have a kids gate at my kitchen door, so that a good idea I already thought about it thank you for replying to my posts

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't doubt in the least that you love your dogs & want the best for them. It's just that things like this should be thought through before you get the pup.

One thing I would say is what will you do if she comes into season early? The vet won't spay her while she's in season.

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 08:07

Yes I know all this, I have researched it all very well, and I have had a lengthly talk with my vet and I have a kitchen door so I can close it if I have to shut 1 of them out in the kitchen, and as far as if she comes in to season early I will have to deal with it wont I, I wished I hadn't posted anything now, Im really upset Crying or Very sad
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 08:24

So if you don't want Bella to be done too early why can't you get Kai neutered as he is more than mature, I'm sure on the moral grounds he won't be too happy as Bella has come into the house and he get's his balls taken away for the trouble but hey ho , us blokes always suffer at the hands of women, that's how life works Laughing .

Obviously from your comments you would plan to get Bella done anyway at a later date so in some respects its extra expense and work but sure it's worth it for the peace of mind you will get Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 09:15

bella3712 wrote:I wished I hadn't posted anything now, Im really upset Crying or Very sad

I really am honestly sorry that I've upset you. But I'm just as passionate about staffs as you, and I really do want the best for them. I see this time after time - not nasty orcruel people, quite the opposite! But people who haven't thought things through & then are caught between a rock & a hard place, like you.

As Dave said, have you thought about neutering Kai?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Sep 18 2012, 09:33

The op is simpler in males, but I had my first done before her first season and had no ill effects. I no I am in the minority by saying it. Good luck with your desion Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:42

thanks Janey for your kind words of support I do appreciate it x
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:52

I think you should get her spayed and save the bother it's clear you are a dog lover by reading your post and viewing your pics on these boards.

Gate or no gate separate room or not you male dog is going to go nuts he will be slavering at the mouth once he gets a whiff of Bella on heat, and that it going to create it's own problem's , i think you need to put your foot down with your Hubby and tell him she is going to have the op so it might as well be sooner rather than later , i see no advantage in her having one season at all if your never going to breed from her , hope this helps .
All the best .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:55

mickgill wrote: i see no advantage in her having one season at all if your never going to breed from her , hope this helps .
All the best .

The advantage, as said elsewhere, is that the growth plates will close at the proper time and her genitals will develop properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Sep 18 2012, 13:03

Caryll wrote:
mickgill wrote: i see no advantage in her having one season at all if your never going to breed from her , hope this helps .
All the best .

The advantage, as said elsewhere, is that the growth plates will close at the proper time and her genitals will develop properly.
Not what a vet say's Caryll, just found this on a google search .

Q Should I let my dog have a heat before I spay her?

A: Medically, it’s better to spay your dog before her first heat. It greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors. People who wait to spay their dogs until after their second heat greatly increase the risk of mammary tumors in their pets. Once they’ve had several heats, intact female dogs have a one out of four chance of developing mammary tumors.

Also
http://whitney05.hubpages.com/hub/Spaying-Your-Female-Dog
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 13:12

Don't believe everything you find on google.

Mammary tumours are not the only form of cancer in dogs. Yes, the risk increases, but it's minimal. Early spaying drastically increases the risk of bone cancer, but the vets don't tell you that one. Neither do they tell you about the altered growth in early spaying or the risk of non-development of the genitals.

Pyometra is more common, but is generally found in older bitches (ie 3 or 4 years upwards).

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Tue Sep 18 2012, 13:26

Hello,

I Had Stella spayed after her first season, she was 13 months old.
The vet recommended to have the op done when she was 5-6 month old but I did my research on internet and decided to let her have 1 season.

By boyfirned has a intact male and we were worried about it a bit but it was OK. He listened just to commands to let her alone and she didn't want him anywhere near her anyway. So obviously they were supervised all the time but it was not at all that dreadful as you could expect.
I understand every dog is different so maybe I was just lucky.
But true is it was not too fair with the male because he was very sad and depressed, obviously, he could smell her...
We don't live together, though, so they did not have to be together 24/7 and we had option to separate them in different flats when we could not be with them.

I was so nervous about the surgery but Stella recovered very fast and now she is full of energy, the swollen nipples are gone, she is happy wee dog. So I am happoy she has been done but I believe it was a good thing to wait for the first season because of both physical and mental development. I think vets just want to make their work easier by operating young females but they don't tell you whole truth and from what I was able to gather on internet at least 1 season is better, some people recommend 2 or 3, but Stela was really miserable during the season so I hope 1 was enough because I didn't want her to go through it again.

Good Luck, don't worry it will work out.
Xx
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bella........... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 13:34

Thirteen months isn't a bad age for spaying.

I have also had intact males & females in the same house, and it isn't the hell on earth that some people would have you believe. Yes, it's difficult & you have to have your wits about you, but it isn't as bad as all that.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Sep 18 2012, 15:16

Caryll wrote:Don't believe everything you find on google.

Mammary tumours are not the only form of cancer in dogs. Yes, the risk increases, but it's minimal. Early spaying drastically increases the risk of bone cancer, but the vets don't tell you that one. Neither do they tell you about the altered growth in early spaying or the risk of non-development of the genitals.

Pyometra is more common, but is generally found in older bitches (ie 3 or 4 years upwards).

I can find much on bone cancer being a risk with early spaying but i think also that it is not set in stone that it does cause bone cancer, i know a good few people who have had dogs spayed before their first season in fact i have just spoken to a friend who for years has kept Springer Spaniels he is a gun man and has a large kennel, he informs me that he has had many a dog spayed before it's first season and never encountered any problems in the dogs later life , if vets recommended it and if you have no desire to breed then for me it's a good thing .

Last edited by mickgill on Tue Sep 18 2012, 15:23; edited 1 time in total
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 15:22

And I have only ever had one dog neutered (she was about 3 years old - and it was for a medical reason) and none of my dogs have suffered as a result. All have been well adjusted, healthy and manageable. No mammary tumours or testicular cancer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 15:49

If i were u i would get the male done now as its a much simpler op for them! My Ty was done at 6 months and Kaos a little over 7 months and they have never had any ill effects from this. I will always neuter/spay any dog i own Smile good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Tue Sep 18 2012, 16:02

I know some people frown upon getting a dog spayed before their first season, but we are getting Caley done before she has one. We were strongly advised by our vet and we were also witness to a friends staffy developing cancer, they did not get their dog spayed and were told that had they done so the chances of her getting the cancer would have been greatly reduced, sadly she passed away. My parents have had all their dogs spayed before their first season and they have had no problems whatsoever. I guess it is all down to the individual and what they think is best for their dog. Good luck with whatever you decided.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bella........... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Sep 18 2012, 20:03

thank you to every1 that has commented it is much appreiciated, and I have made my decision
thank you guys Iam such a worrier lol
xxx
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 20:05

What have you decided? Don't worry, nobody's going to shout you down! >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 20:44

I would get the fella neutered, my girls were neutered at 7 months and have suffered no ill effects. You dont want a big dog mating with your girl cos if the pups are big they could kill her x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down