Leash is a comfort?

+2
janey
asa-james
6 posters

Go down

Leash is a comfort? Empty Leash is a comfort?

Post by asa-james Mon Aug 20 2012, 21:17

I took Lola out tonight for her usual walk, same route, and during part of it I walk through a business park. I usually let her off the lead here, and use it as practice for walking to heel off lead (not going to be a permanent thing, but it's nice to know she happily walks off lead without running off)
I kept her off lead to tonight as I joined the main road for the last 200 yards of the walk, first time on a 'live' road off lead. She stopped, crossed when I said to, and walked perfectly until a boy racer flew past with a daft exhaust. At this point, she freaked out, tail and ears down and crouched on the pavement. I put her straight back on lead, and as soon as it was on, Lola was back to normal, not bothered by wagons, cars etc.

She's always happy to be on lead, and as soon as its out of my pocket she's by my side waiting to be clipped on.

Just wondering if it's a normal thing for a dog to feel more secure on lead, or at least comforted?
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Leash is a comfort? Empty Re: Leash is a comfort?

Post by janey Mon Aug 20 2012, 21:22

I would never walk my dog on/near a road offlead full stop.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Aug 20 2012, 21:28

I have Rocky on the lead most of the time anyway. There is only one place locally I can let him off where I can see about a 2 mile radius which is out in the countryside miles away from roads. It could be that he feels safe on the lead as he is near you.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Aug 21 2012, 08:19

Please never walk a dog on/near a road off lead, no matter how well behaved, how short the distance or how quiet the road!

Many dogs tend to feel happier off lead TBH, not the other way round. I know lots of dogs that display agressive behaviour on lead but not when off as a lead often makes dogs feel restricted and unable to escape should the need arise.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Aug 21 2012, 12:49

Dont walk your dog off lead on or near a road. However well trained your dog is accidnets do happen, I learned this the hard way. My girl Skibadee is impeccably trained but that doesn't count for instincts. When she was about 9 months old I was walking her off-lead on a really quiet road she was walking to heel watching me etc. When a cat shot across her path literally about an inch from her nose, without even thinking she chased after it. Stupidly I called her back and she hesitated in the middle of the road just as a car was coming. Luckily I didnt lose her, the car was going slow and she ewscaped with cuts and bruises. But I would never ever be stupid enough to walk any of my dogs off-lead again. However well trained and obedient they are it only takes a split second to change everything. I would strangle my 16 year old self!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 14:44

Both my 2 walk perfectly to heel off lead (not so great on lead lol) strange dogs! But really....its soooo dangerous to walk them off lead near roads busy or not. As u found out today anything can happen that is beond your control. Its so dangerous for both the dog and yourself but also for other road users or passers by etc. Just imagien if he had freaked, run into the road and caused another accident involving children etc. Its so not worth taking the risk! But its great that she is responding well to heeling off lead keep it up! Just stick to fields lol

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Tue Aug 21 2012, 18:21

Didn't mean to cause an upset with this, sorry about the off lead near a road thing. To be completely honest it never crossed my mind like that, she'll be on lead next to the road all the time now.

And as has been said, I've always been led to believe dogs are usually more nervous on lead than off. I don't know, I've always held belief that staffies arn't really dogs at all you know, kinda mini humans with fur Smile

asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:03

I've only just started letting Loki off the lead, near where I live on a field, and he's quite hesitant to leave my side. He'll do a bit of exploring but will then come back to me. I think he's so used to being near me that he finds it weird that I'm telling him to go do what he wants. But yeah, so maybe for some dogs they're so used to being on the lead that it's more comfortable for them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:12

I can only echo the feelings of others , both as a road user and a dog lover and they both have the same reaction , I have seen many people doing this and to be honest it is just irresponsible , sorry I don't wish to sound like I'm ticking you off but with the best will in the world all it takes is for a horn or a car to misfire , scare the dog , dog runs into the road , mum with the kids in the back (who loves dogs) swerves to miss and it just doesn't bear thinking about

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Aug 22 2012, 16:39

I know what you mean about dogs feeling less threatened off-lead though think it is because they know they can get away and don't feel trapped or restricted. xx
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Aug 22 2012, 17:08

Please do not walk your dog off lead by roads as said, anything can spook them, or get their attention in a flash. Its good we can all give advice on this forum for our lovely staffies Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down