Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight

5 posters

Go down

Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight Empty Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:38

Earlier this evening my hubby was outside with Rocky and called me to him "Quickly". I panicked a bit thinking something had happend to Rocky and went running outside. I could hardly believe what I saw. Must appologise now there are no pics, at the moment, as it all happened very quickly.

On the floor beside our wheelie bin was a tiny little bat. I managed to get Rocky back in the flat and closed the back door, before he decided to "play with it". My hubby went back inside to get something to put it in and/or cover it with.

The little bat then thought it a good idea to run away, sorry fly away but we noticed he had a damaged wing and was struggling to fly. We managed to get him in a box that hubby had made some holes in and put a small dish of water in there too.

Hubby then phoned around a few places to get hold of the appropriate person who could come and collect Bruce as I have called him. Eventually at about 9.15 tonight we had a phone call from a guy who will collect him tomorrow afternoon.

Such excitement for a Wednesday evening. That is the closest I have ever been to a bat, we have seen them flying around ouside our flat before about a year ago. I think it is a pipistrelle variety but not certain.

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight Empty Re: Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight

Post by janey Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:42

I don't no anything about bats but Bruce had a lucky rescue Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight Empty Re: Uninvited But Welcome Visitor Tonight

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:44

They're so beautiful, aren't they? When we lived in Wales one came into the house & flew around a bit. Eventually it went outside.

If it's a tiny, mouse-like bat then yes, it's a pipistrelle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:47

They are lovely and very fascinating creatures, i hope he will be OK
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 22:03

Id be scared to touch it incase it bit me and drank my bloooood hahaha. Bats are cute but i wouldn't touch one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 08 2012, 22:05

Apparently there is a very tiny chance of catching rabies from them, thats why I let hubby do the catching although he did use a towel. Bruce is very safely in a box now awaiting his ride to wherever tomorrow afternoon.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Wed Aug 08 2012, 22:16

Good luck Bruce.
Interesting little things but wouldn't want to get bitten by one.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 00:25

Good luck Bruce , hope you find a way to get to Gotham City

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:17

The do look pretty cute but I am not fond of them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:55

I love bats, they are so beautiful. Bruce is a lucky boy that you found him and took him in.
We used to get them coming into my work now and again and it wasn't easy to help them get out because of the high ceilings. It's great reading these comments because I usually get very strange looks from people when I say how beautiful they are Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:43

We had a quick peak at Bruce this morning and he is still OK. He survived the night in his shoe box OK. We were advised to feed a small amount of dog food so hubby went up to Tesco late last night to get a small tin of Cesar for him. We put a tiny amount on a small dish for him. That was one thing we didn't have have in the cupboard.

I'm not sure how they get on with a damaged wing though. He semms to have a tear down his left wing, I've no idea if this will heal or not, I'm guessing probably not.

Still waiting for the batman to phone, he is supposed to ring back sometime this morning, but this morning is almost over. If he hasn't phoned by lunchtime will give him a ring back.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:47

Aw, poor little thing. I don't know if their wings heal well or not. But if it doesn't he'll probably be kept by the batman for the rest of his life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:47

I believe the wings can heal. They have been around a very long time so they must have evolved some type of healing capacity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 14:09

Poor wee guy. I hope his wing can heal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Aug 09 2012, 14:39

They are cool! We have larger bats that live here under the causeway and they come out in huge flocks in the evening. Their wings can heal and the rescue centers help give them a safe place to rehabilitate and then they release them into the local nesting place. Glad Rocky didn't get to him!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 15:47

hope little Bruce will be okay !

we get bats around here and when walking at night in summer you hear them flying around and sometimes see them with the torch on... they are amazing critters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 16:51

Did batman call?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 09 2012, 18:34

Well Bruce is safely on his way home with the batlady. Hubby phoned the guy back this morning as we hadn't heard anything from him. His wife worked at the local police HQ in Kempston a town near us and we arranged to meet her in the car park there this afternoon.

So we took a very careful car ride over, passing on the way what looked like a major accident on the other side of a dual carriageway, phewwwwwwww, glad it wasn't in out direction. There were 2 fire appliances and several ambulances and police cars, it looked quite bad.

When we met the lady she said he looks quite big for his type, which is Nathusius' Pipistrelle.

Anyways Bruce is now safely with the bat people who know how to care for him, good luck little fella.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 21:00

Good luck Bruce - hope your wing heals quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu Aug 09 2012, 21:07

We have pips roosting in the front half of the roof, and whiskered in the back half (one of only a few places in Cheshire where they are both so close, according to 'Batman' a few years back)

We used to have to call Batman out so often we ended up with our own batbox, and basic lessons on how to handle a dazed and confused bat Smile

asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Nov 03 2012, 22:13

Any news on Bruce?
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 04 2012, 18:56

We never did hear anything further on Bruce, just hope he is OK and flying around somewhere very happily.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down