Why does she do it?

4 posters

Go down

Why does she do it? Empty Why does she do it?

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 09:05

I am having problems with Lily that are getting worse not better. The main problem is jumping up, whether we are standing or sitting, and mouthing / nipping at the same time. Its all very well saying ignore her, stand sideways so she has less to grip on, only give her attention when all 4 feet are on the ground - but when you have had weeks of it with no improvement, its starts wearing a bit thin. I'm fed up with sitting down and standing up, sitting down and standing up - its getting so that I can't relax at all. The worse part is the mouthing which she does constantly - we will say ow or no and turn away which stops her until the next time which may only be a couple of minutes. Its bad enough on me and OH but when she does it to the grandchildren its not something you can ride through. There is something very disconcerting about seeing my 16 month old grandson's foot in her mouth. It goes without saying that she has constant supervision by both of us and is never left! She is so quick too, looks like she is going to really go for it but its usually just so that you feel her teeth not a bite - not good to watch or hear (if you could imagine a dog that goes for a fly). She knows the leave command but just ignores it. I have already had a course of general training, and a one-off visit from a dog behaviourist who gave advice and will probably have her back and pay for some one-to-one sessions but just wondered if anyone else has experienced it. The funny thing is that she hardly did it when we first got her 4 months ago. This isn't her only problem by the way but its the one that causing the most issues at the moment. Willing to try anything.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Why does she do it? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Why does she do it? Empty Re: Why does she do it?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 09:12

It sounds as if you are doing everything right. They do learn it just takes patience and consistancy from all involved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 09:19

I must admit i was always very patient with the jumping up (and still am coz its still a bit of an issue) but the mouthing i just couldnt stick. If one of the dogs go 2 put thier teeth on me they get a real telling off and out sent out the room for 10 mins. Im not saying its the best training method as they really get shouted at but it works lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Mon Aug 06 2012, 09:26

It does sound like you're doing everything right.

I have controlled my dogs with a clicker. I never used the clicker to reward good behaviour (for that I use my own voice, or treats, or toys, depending on what we're doing). I use the clicker to "snap" them out of bad behaviour, and I must say that this has worked a charm.
Now when they hear the clicker, they know they are doing something that they're not supposed to and they just drop what they were busy with and sit down and look at me. While looking at me, I will tell them NO. I always have the clicker nearby, and this has worked on walks, nipping etc, because as soon as they hear it, they look at me and stop what they are doing.

It is just a suggestion, and I'm not saying it will work, but everything is worth a try. Your dog is also not beyond learning new things.
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 10:00

Chantel's method may be worth a try.

She's settling in, and as she does so, she's feeling more confident & more 'in control'. She's taking advantage of you! Big Grin

Have you tried putting her out of the room immediately her teeth come in to contact with any part of her human family? A sharp "No!" and immediate removal may help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 10:31

Chantel
That sounds like a good suggestion and I wish I had thought of it before I started using the clicker to reward good behaviour - sounds easier than waiting for the good behaviour and then rewarding it. She certainly doesn't respond to my voice. I have been reading the When Pigs Might Fly book and the author makes it sound so easy. I have only recently started using this - do you think it would give mixed messages if I suddenly started to use it for the reasons you state?

Caryll & Carly
We have turfed her out when we get exasperated with it but its not consistent- perhaps this is what I should do.

Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 10:35

Consistency is always the key.

I loved the When Pigs Fly book! Yes, she makes it sound easy, but at least you know you're not alone! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Aug 06 2012, 10:44

Sounds like she has a huge amount if energy that needs using up too !!

Tired staffys are calmer staffys. Apart from doing what ur already doing and maby more exercise I can't add any other advise.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:22

I started with the clicker, having every intention to use it to reward their good behaviour, but found that I was too slow in rewarding them. Then I left the clicker for about a week, not using it at all. Therafter I started using it for unwanted behaviour, and this worked much better than ignoring them, or giving them a stern no. They respond well to my voice, but like my hubby pointed out, even my "bad dog" voice got them excited, because it still sounds happy, hence the clicker.
They realised very quickly that the clicker now represented something bad.

If you leave the clicker for a few days, I am sure Lily will get to grips with it quickly when you start using it for bad behaviour, espicially if you have only been using it for a short while.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 13:37

Chantel, I will try this thanks - lovely photo by the way Smile
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 17:04

Can I ask what you feed her & how much exercise she gets? Sorry if you've said before, but I've got a memory like a sieve! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 20:30

Caryll wrote:Can I ask what you feed her & how much exercise she gets? Sorry if you've said before, but I've got a memory like a sieve! Blushing

I feed her Nature Diet wet food - she is not overstruck on dry, she even leaves any mixer thats in it so I don't bother any more. I exerecise her on the lead twice a day, once in the morning and again in the evening for an hour each time. I used to let her off in the local park for the evening one as its very quiet but her recall is not good if she spies another dog and she just takes off - its usually to play but as you know other peope get a bit freaked out when they see a staffie running towards them. So we stopped that until her recall improves - time to get the long rope out and the bag of liver Smile . We have a decent size garden so do games in the garden as extra exercise.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06 2012, 20:37

She sounds pretty hyper, that's why I asked about food. So many behavioural problems can be put down to food & the additives in them. Natures Diet is quite a good food, although I don't particularly like wet food because it's mostly water. Sad

I know it's hard to let a dog off lead to run around when their recall isn't perfect (my Dempsey can be a horror!), but some free running can make a lot of difference to a dog's mental attitude. You could try using the long line & just let it trail (always with the end well within your reach of course) and then just real him in if he won't come back for any reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 21:08

She does like free running and she is much better off the lead when she meets other dogs despite her not being good at recall. But its not just other dogs that attract her, she likes kids as well and as its summer holidays there are always a couple hanging round. The last thing I want is her jumping up and nipping them - imagine that in the local paper Sad I'll try the long lead trailing but will go somewhere a bit more secluded and see how we get on.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Aug 06 2012, 21:31

There are two things I'd try next...

Number one to address the mouthing, since ignoring etc. hasn't worked, how about redirecting her onto a toy? You need to make sure you always have a toy in your pocket though so have to pick up another when you give her one.

Number two to address the jumping - in a more formal training setting, tie her up with her lead to something solid like the bottom stair banister then walk up to her, (would be good if you can get others to do it too) the second her paws leave the ground, turn away and walk the other way. When all fours are on the ground, turn round and start walking towards her again and repeat. If she stays on all fours when you get to her, give her a high value treat.

Do that at least once a day, once she's got the hang of it in once place, start doing it somewhere else and/or with other people then progress again and again so she begins to generalise.

I wouldn't start to use the clicker as an aversive, it's much better being used as a reward marker, especially once you get better at the timing.

The Pigs Fly book is great although she does make it sound easy but if you keep at it, you'll start to think it's easy too.

I noticed you said she knows the leave command but chooses not to, if she ignores it then she doesn't know it, not properly Wink keep working on it!

Also, getting a long line so she can have a run is a good idea, walking just doesn't quite burn the energy like a good little bomb around.

Another idea is to feed her meals out of a Kong or similar, a bit more stimulation!

ETA: Get yourself a glass of wine or a beer too! Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Mon Aug 06 2012, 21:44

The glass of wine is a given Big Grin

You have a couple of good ideas there and will try those also. Certainly feel a lot more positive than I did this morning.
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Aug 06 2012, 21:57

Pollyanna wrote:The glass of wine is a given Big Grin

You have a couple of good ideas there and will try those also. Certainly feel a lot more positive than I did this morning.

Good, that'll be the wine! Big Grin

FAO Chantel: Just thought, the reason the clicker probably works to switch their attention to you is because to them it's a 'positive interupter' if you started out giving them a treat after the click when you first got it...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum