Butt Wipe

3 posters

Go down

Butt Wipe Empty Butt Wipe

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:15

Sorry, I know this has been brought up a load of times.

Troy does that 'butt wiping' on the carpet. I don't think it has anything to do with worms, he gets wormed and the vets reckons this isn't usually the reason in dogs as to why the do it...but cattle I think he said? Can't remember.

The other reasons they mentioned were dermatitis around the anus, but he said it looked clear and the possibility of the anal glands being blocked, but he released them and he still does it.

So before I book him in to the vets for this, are the any other well known issues that can cause this? Anything I can try? I have seen him 'jump up' from being a sleep to rub his butt so something must be irritating him?

Thanks.

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Butt Wipe Empty Re: Butt Wipe

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:29

Allergies can cause this. Does he scratch quite a lot in general or chew his feet?

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:46

Yes, that's the other thing with him.

He constantly is licking his paws and sometimes chewing his feet. To the point where he has no hair in between his 'toes' now.

I think he does have some allergies. I put him on James Wellbeloved and that cleared up the dry skin and loss of hair he had when I first got him.

Is there anything I should try first, like giving him antihistamine for a week or whatever and see if that helps before going to the vet?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 08:59

I would keep him off grass he may be allergic to that, it will be hard i know but it may make a world of a difference. Carpets too may irritate him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:00

Other than what you have already mentioned I can't think of anything. Did you have his anal glands squzed by a vet or did you do it yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:04

Hayley wrote:I would keep him off grass he may be allergic to that, it will be hard i know but it may make a world of a difference. Carpets too may irritate him.

Well wouldn't the antihistamines help with this? Yeah keeping him off grass would be a nightmare as this is how I exercise him properly, on fields etc.

jstaff wrote:Other than what you have already mentioned I can't think of anything. Did you have his anal glands squzed by a vet or did you do it yourself?

The vet squeezed them.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:05

If it's a grass allergin you could try rubbing him down with a damp cloth when he comes back in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:14

Im sure it would be a nightmare, but i would rather have my dog not on any tablets and not itching for the sake of a run about. There are other methods of exercising such as swimming, indoor agility, fly ball, pulling etc and you could look into those if needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:19

Or if it is the grass, you could train him to jog alongside you on a push bike. I know someone who did this because their dog was allergic to grass (or the seeds or whatever). The dog was ok in the winter, it was the summer/spring months that got her. Now when spring comes along her owner dusts off the push bike and off they go!
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:40

Antihistamines don't actually work that well on dogs and it's better to find the cause and try and control that rather than have a dog on medication for life IMO.

It certainly sounds like some sort of reaction to me.

Environmental allergies are more common than food allergies although diet, especially those high in grain do seem to exacerbate environmental allergies.

Dust mites and storage mites often cause problems along with pollens. Is the itching year round or just seasonal? If it's seasonal then it would suggest pollen but if not then it's more likely to be something like dust/storage mites or something like a household cleaner or washing powder.

What JWB is he on? Some of them contain a lot of grain including barley which contains gluten. It might be worth switching him to a grain free wet food (or do an elimination diet) to rule out grains and storage mites then take it from there.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:05

jstaff wrote:If it's a grass allergin you could try rubbing him down with a damp cloth when he comes back in.

I'll try. Assuming it is actually a grass allergy he has. Maybe I need to go to the vets to find out? Thing is, when I let him out of his crate on a morning, the first thing he may do is lick is paws. I don't know if it is excitement or what, but he hasn't just come off grass.

Hayley wrote:Im sure it would be a nightmare, but i would rather have my dog not on any tablets and not itching for the sake of a run about. There are other methods of exercising such as swimming, indoor agility, fly ball, pulling etc and you could look into those if needed.

I walk my dog at 5am in the morning before work and obviously after work and then before bed. They need at least 2x 45 minute walks a day. How can I fit in such activities everyday?

Thanks for the suggestions though. But it is easier said than done when you work full time and live alone.

Rachb26 wrote:Or if it is the grass, you could train him to jog alongside you on a push bike. I know someone who did this because their dog was allergic to grass (or the seeds or whatever). The dog was ok in the winter, it was the summer/spring months that got her. Now when spring comes along her owner dusts off the push bike and off they go!

I could look into this. I think I need to determine his allergy first though? If it is seasonal with Troy then he wouldn't be on medication all year round.

Galadriel wrote:Antihistamines don't actually work that well on dogs and it's better to find the cause and try and control that rather than have a dog on medication for life IMO.

It certainly sounds like some sort of reaction to me.

Environmental allergies are more common than food allergies although diet, especially those high in grain do seem to exacerbate environmental allergies.

Dust mites and storage mites often cause problems along with pollens. Is the itching year round or just seasonal? If it's seasonal then it would suggest pollen but if not then it's more likely to be something like dust/storage mites or something like a household cleaner or washing powder.

What JWB is he on? Some of them contain a lot of grain including barley which contains gluten. It might be worth switching him to a grain free wet food (or do an elimination diet) to rule out grains and storage mites then take it from there.

He is on the James Wellbeloved Fish and Rice. You think I should try a different one? Which?

I am not sure if it is year round or what as I have only had him since may and he had issues with his skin when I got him but as I say they cleared up but he has now moved to licking his paws all the time. His previous owners didn't look after him and probably never walked him so he probably never walked on grass until I got him.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:17

Suki had bad allergies when we first got her. We got a blood test done and it pinpointed what her allergies were so we just worked around them. Thankfully they are all food allergies.

The licking of the paws could also be a build up of bacteria that could be reduced with a wipe down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:18

The feet licking and nibbling is probably down to an excess of yeast, most staffs have it and I know loads, including mine, who lick and chew their feet because of it. My dads staff has, in the past, really damaged his paws because he chews on them until they're raw and bleeding. All you can really do about that is clean his paws regularly and stop him whenever you see it.

With the butt thing, I would have thought blocked anal glands but as your vet has sorted that, I can only think of an allergy of some kind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:27

Ahh OK.

JWB do do a grain free kibble - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/james-wellbeloved-fish-and-vegetable-kibble-adult-maintenance-dog-food-1.5kg-and-10kg-(online-only)-27854 however for the price, you'd be much better off with something like Fish4Dogs which is a better food and would cost less.

Dry foods can contain storage mites though but feeding a good quality, grain free wet like Natures Menu is more expensive so it might be worth trying something like the Fish4Dogs to start with.

You can have allergy tests done at the vets but they do cost a bit and aren't always accurate so it's better to try and find out yourself first IMO.

ETA: Adding apple cider vinegar (unpasteurised stuff with 'the mother') to his diet may help too and it's good against yeast so can be used to wipe his feet to rule out a yeast problem.

Last edited by Galadriel on Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:28; edited 1 time in total

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:27

jstaff wrote:Suki had bad allergies when we first got her. We got a blood test done and it pinpointed what her allergies were so we just worked around them. Thankfully they are all food allergies.

The licking of the paws could also be a build up of bacteria that could be reduced with a wipe down.

Okay thanks, I'll try it. I also have some 'skin healing' cream the vets gave me for under his paws when they went red which they said will clear bacteria. I'll have to smother this on his paws before each walk and see how we go!

shontelle wrote:The feet licking and nibbling is probably down to an excess of yeast, most staffs have it and I know loads, including mine, who lick and chew their feet because of it. My dads staff has, in the past, really damaged his paws because he chews on them until they're raw and bleeding. All you can really do about that is clean his paws regularly and stop him whenever you see it.

With the butt thing, I would have thought blocked anal glands but as your vet has sorted that, I can only think of an allergy of some kind.

I mentioned this to the vet but he advised it was probably more bacterial that a yeast infection. I will take him back though and re-investigate if I have no joy.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:30

Galadriel wrote:Ahh OK.

JWB do do a grain free kibble - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/james-wellbeloved-fish-and-vegetable-kibble-adult-maintenance-dog-food-1.5kg-and-10kg-(online-only)-27854 however for the price, you'd be much better off with something like Fish4Dogs which is a better food and would cost less.

Dry foods can contain storage mites though but feeding a good quality, grain free wet like Natures Menu is more expensive so it might be worth trying something like the Fish4Dogs to start with.

You can have allergy tests done at the vets but they do cost a bit and aren't always accurate so it's better to try and find out yourself first IMO.

Okay thanks.

I'll see where I can get Fish 4 Dogs at a good price then. I get James Wellbeloved for £39.99 for 15kg. Lets see if I can get it at something around that price!

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:34

fish 4 dogs is quite a bit more expensive, unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:53

Yeah, seems it is about £15 more expensive.

Maybe have to try the James Wellbeloved vegetable as linked above.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:59

His butt could be sore from any number of things. It might not look red, but it might be irritating him. Try smearing a little sudocrem over & around it & see how it goes.

With the feet, Dempsey gets the same thing. He's actuallt got a problem with grass - the sap at this time of year irritates his feet/toes & he'll chew & lick them at any time of day, not just when he's been out. I tend to wash his feet with a warm, salt water solution every time he comes in from a walk & that seems to help.

I disagree with galadriel about the use of antihistamines. They may not have quite the same effect as on humans, but they certainly do help. When Dempsey was stung several times last year by bees (he disturbed a swarm) my vet advised me to get some Piriton & keep an eye on him. The swelling & discomfort disappeared very quickly after giving the piriton, far quicker than they would have otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:01

Fish4dogs is a bit cheaper on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004OAGYCU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:02

You feed less of the Fish4Dogs and it's a bigger bag.

Based on the guidelines for a 15-20kg dog:

Fish4Dogs @ £53.00 for a 12kg bag (even though you can get it cheaper than that - £40 at Chemist Direct I think now) you'd feed 225g a day which works out at 99p per day.

JWB @ £42.89 for a 10kg bag (I know you can get it a little cheaper but even so) you'd feed 270g a day which would be £1.16 per day Smile

ETA: So even if you pay full price for the Fish4Dogs it's cheaper than the JWB if you go off the guidline amounts.

ETA 2: I didn't mean antihistamines don't work at all, just that they're often not totally effective.

Last edited by Galadriel on Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:09; edited 1 time in total

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:08

Caryll wrote:His butt could be sore from any number of things. It might not look red, but it might be irritating him. Try smearing a little sudocrem over & around it & see how it goes.

With the feet, Dempsey gets the same thing. He's actuallt got a problem with grass - the sap at this time of year irritates his feet/toes & he'll chew & lick them at any time of day, not just when he's been out. I tend to wash his feet with a warm, salt water solution every time he comes in from a walk & that seems to help.

I disagree with galadriel about the use of antihistamines. They may not have quite the same effect as on humans, but they certainly do help. When Dempsey was stung several times last year by bees (he disturbed a swarm) my vet advised me to get some Piriton & keep an eye on him. The swelling & discomfort disappeared very quickly after giving the piriton, far quicker than they would have otherwise.

I'll try the Sudocrem, thanks.

If I leave a tub in the porch of salty water and just wash his feet in that will that be okay? Or is there a reason it has to be warm? It would be a room kind of temperature I guess.

I will try the cream given by the vet also, but he tends to always lick it off. I'll give Piriton ago..I mean if its a seasonal thing, at least he won't be on it all year round. Otherwise yeah, I may have to take further more drastic action.

Caryll wrote:Fish4dogs is a bit cheaper on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004OAGYCU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks.

Galadriel wrote:You feed less of the Fish4Dogs.

Based on the guidelines for a 15-20kg dog:

Fish4Dogs @ £53.00 for a 12kg bag (even though you can get it cheaper than that - £40 at Chemist Direct I think now) you'd feed 225g a day which works out at 99p per day.

JWB @ £42.89 for a 10kg bag (I know you can get it a little cheaper but even so) you'd feed 270g a day which would be £1.16 per day Smile

10kg? I get 15kg for £40.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:10

Ahh OK missed that!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:11

The fish4dogs is actually a 12 kilo bag.

I prefer to warm the water as it's more soothing to any present inflamation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:17

Ok, just done some checking! Big Grin

Chemist Direct still do F4Ds @ £35 - http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/fish-4-dogs-finest-complete_1_155125.html?utm_source=Google%2BProducts&utm_medium=Google%2BProducts&utm_campaign=Google%2BProducts

So based on 225g per day and £35 for a 12kg bag, it's 66p per day to feed.

JWB, based on 270g per day and £40 for 15kg, it's 72p per day to feed so F4Ds is better and cheaper Big Grin Wink

That's my brain burnt out for the day Laughing

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:22

Thanks for the link and calculations! LOL.

Think I will be making the switch then...a shame to waste the half full bag I have left at the moment though! :\

I'll try the sudocrem, allergy pills, cream and paw washing for a bit first!

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:31

thumbs up

You could always donate the food you have left to your local rescue centre if you don't want to waste it Wink

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:32

P.S. what sort of treats does he have?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:38

Caryll wrote:P.S. what sort of treats does he have?

This was something else I was thinking about.

He has peanut butter in Kongs, meat spreads, dental chews, gravy bones..more or less everything Sad

Guess I am going to have to only give him non hypo treats now too!? Though he doesn't have them at a great frequency it might not be as bad?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 11:39

We tend to use frozen or dehydrated veggies as treats since Suki has allergies to most meats. We've been using them since she was a pup so she really likes them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down