Bella and Kai

3 posters

Go down

Bella and Kai Empty Bella and Kai

Post by bella3712 Mon Jul 30 2012, 12:36

Hi guys

Bella is 8 weeks old today and she is doing great............... but I know she only wants to play with Kai (japanese akita/german shepherd x), he has just started letting her climb all over him, he is very tolerant of her ,bless him, but she keeps nipping him and he has yelped a couple of times, she got hold of his bits the other day bless him ,I really shouted at her, I normally leave him to tell her off, but when I know hes had enough, I take over,

Any Ideas
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bella3712
bella3712
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Bella and Kai Empty Re: Bella and Kai

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 14:29

Seems like normal puppy play to me. Just keep an eye out though. Your older dog will let the puppy know what is acceptable but you will need to step in if Bella is not learning proper dog ettiquette fast enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 14:33

I have this problem with Kodi, hes to over the top for Maz after a while (hes 6mths shes 11yrs) when he gets to much, trying to drag her by the collar, jumping on her and nipping her etc I call him to distract him if he carries on then put him the other side of the stair gate to what Maz is for 5mins "time out", then let him back in, if he does it again I keep going with the gate until he stops.
I have my parents dogs here a lot and he does the collar dragging to them so same thing then too "time out"
Our behavourist told me to do this and so far its working Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2012, 21:42

Agree with the advice given.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Tue Jul 31 2012, 12:51

Loki is doing the same to Maska. His lips are full of little pock marks where she has been literally dangling on it, poor thing.
I stepped in quite often in the beginning, and still do from time to time, but I actually got to the point where I left it to Maska to decide when he's had enough. He is also extremely tolerant of her nipping, but I've noticed there are days where he has had enough, and he just nudged Loki away with his head (more like a light head-butt), and when she came back he rolled her onto her back and nipped her in the neck (not hard, because she didn't even yelp). He did the nipping thing a few times, and now when Loki gets nudged away by his head, she actually leaves him alone (for a while at least) Big Grin, so she has learned
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 31 2012, 14:21

I'm sure Kai will definaetly let her know when she crosses the line and keep her in check. Kai knows Bella is only a youngster and that she is playing and not being aggresive with him. They will sort it all out for themselves but just keep a closer eye on them if at all concerned.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Tue Jul 31 2012, 21:16

thanks for all your advise............ Iam truly gratefull, Kai is such a good boy and they were playing together tonite and when he had had enough he just rolled her on her back and put his jaws on her neck lol, so she knows,but still goes back for more lol bless her

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3