Staffy lover
Kathy
Rachb26
janey
Gee
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE* Empty Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE*

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:32

Hi all,

There has been a change in circumstance whereby my brother is probably not able to walk Troy midday like he usually does due to a new job / placement.

Potentially, if I do not get something sorted Troy would be alone for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, which I want to try and avoid. Now I know there are people that leave their dogs alone for this amount of time and I do not want anyone to critisice these people or take cheap jabs as we ALL would not leave our dogs alone for any amount of time if we could, I basically just want some advice on what you do to keep your dog entertained, how your dog deals with being left alone for this amount of time, what other single full time workers do to help combat the issue of leaving their dogs alone for long periods.

This is 100% something I am trying to avoid and I am looking into alternatives but I don't think much is plausible if I am being honest. I work 20 miles away so can't make a commute at lunch times and I have no friends or family members that can call around and I can not afford a dog walker. The only feasible thing I can think of involves me building a fence around my garden and properly securing it and getting my elderly neighbour to let him out for 10 minutes a day (better than nothing) and giving another frozen treat once he goes back inside (he gets one before I leave in the morning too).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Gee on Wed Aug 01 2012, 07:49; edited 1 time in total

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE* Empty Re: Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE*

Post by janey Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:53

I work full time and live alone but rely on walkers and friends/mum to help, also if they can't I work 5mins away so can pop home. Tricky situation but the only thing I can dvise is a walker or the latter of what you have suggested., which could certainly work.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE* Empty Re: Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE*

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:54

Gee wrote: The only feasible thing I can think of involves me building a fence around my garden and properly securing it and getting my elderly neighbour to let him out for 10 minutes a day (better than nothing) and giving another frozen treat once he goes back inside (he gets one before I leave in the morning too).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Circumstances change & we have to make the best of it!

I think that's certainly a possibility as long as Troy's ok with the gentleman coming in, and the man is ok with Troy. Could he get Troy back inside again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:57

My neighbour is actually a lady Smile She is very active, always gardening and has owned dogs in the past. She has 4 cats at the moment lol.

She gets on with Troy, strokes him etc and has no problems with dogs. Troy is good, I think he would listen to her. But I would probably suggest she coxes him in with a frozen peanut butter Kong. I am sure he would follow her inside then.

This is assuming she would agree!

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:59

That would sound like a good solution. Maybe you could buy her a box of chocs or some flowers sometimes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 10:59

I think if your neighbor is willing to help out that it should be okay. Make sure to exercise him thoroughly before work as well. If you built a secure backyard you could also think of a doggy door so he can come and go as he pleases. A spring pole in the backyard would also give him an exercise option that he could do on his own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:00

If that could work then great, i would just worry if he got out would she be able to stop him. Would you ever consider a doggy door and that way he has the freedom to go in and out himself? You can get the ones that work by infared so only troy can get in or out of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:02

He gets a 45 minute walk in the morning before I go to work. I get up at 5:15am every day to do this.

I don't think I would be comfortable with a doggy door and leaving him outside unattended as I am scared he would be stolen to be honest.

In regards to him getting out..well yeah there is a risk and he probably wouldn't listen to her if he wanted to go for his own walk or chase a cat etc. Hmmm...I am open to other suggestions but just don't see what?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:04

I was going to suggest a doggy door too. And your neighbour keeping an eye out to make sure he doesn't escape.
Rachb26
Rachb26
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Saffy
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:04

Would taking him to work with you be an option ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:07

Is there any chance of someone taking him through the day that isnt too far out of your way to work? You could give them whatever you can afford or offer to do some work for them

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:10

Rachb26 wrote:I was going to suggest a doggy door too. And your neighbour keeping an eye out to make sure he doesn't escape.

I don't think I would be comfortable with this. Also, it would mean replacing / cutting up my PVC door and new hardwood porch door...?

kathytake2 wrote:Would taking him to work with you be an option ?

No, I work in a call centre I'm afraid.

Hayley wrote:Is there any chance of someone taking him through the day that isnt too far out of your way to work? You could give them whatever you can afford or offer to do some work for them

I'm afraid not. My brother lives up the road for me and has a neighbour that pops ove to let his dog out I think, but again would Troy listen to her? He could run off etc, the fence is only short. Plus they would bother need to be crated as they go nuts together. My brothers dog is a pup and chews when left alone.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:11

I think strengthening your fence & asking your neighbour to help out would be the best bet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:14

I actually have no fence at the moment. It means I would actually have to have one built...and before the 1st August too! Sad

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:16

Oh, boy..........never rains but it pours! I dont want to s

What's your neighbour's garden like? Would she be prepared to collect Troy & bring him into her garden?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:17

Caryll wrote:Oh, boy..........never rains but it pours! I dont want to s

What's your neighbour's garden like? Would she be prepared to collect Troy & bring him into her garden?

That might be the best option if she is willing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:22

I'll get a picture so it is better for everyone to understand but the short answer is no. We both live in back to back houses and have a shared foot path which is very small and divides our land. She doesn't have a fence or anything either, it's like a big wide space with just the foot path seperating what belongs to each of us. Plus she has 4 cats LOL.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:23

Gee wrote:I actually have no fence at the moment. It means I would actually have to have one built...and before the 1st August too! Sad

Whatever it takes I guess! And also you could replace your door with a cheaper version off eBay to put the dog flap in and store the other. As long as it's secure. 10 hrs in doors alone is quite alot. The only other thing is hiring a mature, reliable teenager to pop in and give him a quick walk. But you would have to be very choosy. Or building a kennel/run in the garden. But again you would run the risk of him being pinched or annoying the neighbours with excessive barking.

Unfortunately there's not alot you can do. But you can do something. I hope you work it out! Big Grin
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:27

Rachb26 wrote:
Gee wrote:I actually have no fence at the moment. It means I would actually have to have one built...and before the 1st August too! Sad

Whatever it takes I guess! And also you could replace your door with a cheaper version off eBay to put the dog flap in and store the other. As long as it's secure. 10 hrs in doors alone is quite alot. The only other thing is hiring a mature, reliable teenager to pop in and give him a quick walk. But you would have to be very choosy. Or building a kennel/run in the garden. But again you would run the risk of him being pinched or annoying the neighbours with excessive barking.

Unfortunately there's not alot you can do. But you can do something. I hope you work it out! Big Grin

I have two doors. A PVC front door and a hardwood porch door that I only had fitted two weeks ago. I am not comfortable with anyone having keys to my home who I personally do not know or trust to be honest. In regards to a kennel outside, again I would be afraid of him being taken and he probably would bark excessively as you have mentioned.

The only other thing I am thinking is to try and change my lunch to 30 minutes and skip my last break and try to leave 45 minutes earlier from work but this would have to be authorised (harder than it sounds) and would only cut 45-60 min off the time he is left.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:42

A pic of the set up would help. I agree with your points, I wish I could be more help....it's a tough one.

The only thing I can suggest now is what has already been suggested...is to bite the bullet and get a professional dog walker in a few times a week. I believe most charge £5 per hr. It might be the best short term solution until a better comes along given the timeframes. They are CRB certificate holders usually.
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:46

I'll put a picture up later tonight.

Why only a few times a week though? What about the days he is left alone for long periods of time? I guess something is better than nothing?

Cheapest I have seen is £7 per day, which would be £35 per week, £140 per month, £1680 a year. I can't afford this.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:50

I do hope you can sort something out soon. Asking your neighbour does seem your best option at this time in moment.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachb26 Fri Jul 20 2012, 11:56

Gee wrote:I'll put a picture up later tonight.

Why only a few times a week though? What about the days he is left alone for long periods of time? I guess something is better than nothing?

Cheapest I have seen is £7 per day, which would be £35 per week, £140 per month, £1680 a year. I can't afford this.

Yeah I was thinking about the expense and although not ideal, something is better than nothing.
It's just I try not to rely on anyone for this kind of stuff (even family members) unless I'm paying them. Because it boils down to reliability doesn't it.

Im sorry I don't know what else to suggest Sad
Rachb26
Rachb26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Jul 20 2012, 12:05

Listening to advice on this one, I am lucky at the moment that although I work 9-10hr shifts and live nearly an hour drive from work my parents live on the way and they are ok with me dropping Ledger off (even when it is at 6am or collecting him at 4am) to stay with them.

When I worked a bit closer I would leave him alone on night shifts when he would just sleep but I don't feel comfortable doing it through the day. I am looking into the option of a dog walker just because I feel like I am asking alot of my parents all the time but even then I guess that will only work when I am on days so I am trying to come up with some other options
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 13:04

There are a lot of good suggestions here - you'll have to pick one of them or just leave him alone for the ten hours. It's not ideal but he won't die. The only other option is rehoming, which i don't think will benefit him anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 13:39

Ah what a nightmare. It's hard when you have no friends or family that can help out.

If you can avoid rehoming him, please do. You've put in a lot of effort with Troy and I'd hate to see you have to give him up now, and it would probably set him back to square one too.

I can't think of anything practical to suggest, other than building a 6-8 ft wall/fence around your garden and fitting a doggy door. It would be costly though and you have such a limited time to sort it out.

It sounds like your best bet is your neighbour at the moment. While she's helping you out, you could save up to get the fence done.

Whatever you decide, good luck, I hope it all works out for you and Troy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diwrnach Fri Jul 20 2012, 13:47

No dog walkers in your area? might be an idea to try and find one who would be willing to take him for a walk midday maybe?

Other than that the neighbour idea sounds the best bet.

Diwrnach
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 14:02

Something will have to be sorted out because he is never getting rehomed unless I die.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 14:09

Why don't you price a dog walker? They might not be as expensive as you think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 20 2012, 14:49

Why not get in touch with your local Volunteer Centre. They may well have people on their lists who have registered as dog walkers.

This is a scheme that is in place in Bedford and I have considered doing it myself. You may have something in your area that is similar. You know the volunteers will have been vetted before they start doing the walking.

This may mean making a donation to a local charity monthly.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Jul 20 2012, 14:51

Hayley wrote:Why don't you price a dog walker? They might not be as expensive as you think.

I have, see page one. £35 a week, £140 a month.

kathytake2 wrote:Why not get in touch with your local Volunteer Centre. They may well have people on their lists who have registered as dog walkers.

This is a scheme that is in place in Bedford and I have considered doing it myself. You may have something in your area that is similar. You know the volunteers will have been vetted before they start doing the walking.

This may mean making a donation to a local charity monthly.

I'll look into that if I can not come up with a solution, thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 20:05

Gee wrote:Something will have to be sorted out because he is never getting rehomed unless I die.

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20 2012, 20:14

Gee, you have really put in the time and effort. I am sure that having a secure environment for him (fenced and safe) would certainly help. First prize of course is having someone to walk him at lunchtime.

At least Troy isreally well behaved and has all the basics. A long walk when you get home would see all his excess energy needs taken care of. the problem is helping him cope with the boredom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sun Jul 22 2012, 11:14

I give him a frozen Kong after his first walk and he is given one after his midday walk too which will keep him entertained for a bit. He had chew toys too, not sure how much he uses them when I am not there though. The rest of the time he is probably sleeping.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 22 2012, 13:37

Might seem like a silly idea but how about an ad in the local paper for dog walking exchange services, you don't know but there may be someone out there around you that has a problem walking later in the day because of night shifts or late shifts etc ??? They walk Troy for an hour , and you walk theirs for an hour , only a thought.
Short term if you need to go to the expense of a garden fence you must be easy talking 1K plus as its got to be high and sturdy, and even then, what if the neighbour can't or doesn't want to do it ?? I would keep the money for the dog walker route and possibly take a part time job or something at the weekend to cover the cost of the dog walker through the week

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Jul 22 2012, 17:10

Really sympathize with your situation, speaking as a dog walker you could give them a call... my rates are variable depending on the requirements of the owners... Maybe look at having a dog walker in 2 or 3 times a week and your neighbour the other days... I'm not required to walk one of my dogs just let him out for 10 mins.. that keeps the price affordable for the owner and the dog happy till they get back. Good luck... But give them a call and see if they can be as flexible as i am Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Full time workers living on their own..*UPDATE* Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 08:26

Thanks for all the comments.

I have come to an arrangement whereby Troy will stay at my mothers house where my brother lives and has his dog Bison, a Labrador puppy around 8-9 months old, they get a long great.

One will be kept in the kitchen and one in the living room. I wouldn't leave them together alone because they play fight for hours and would wreck the place LOL.

My mothers neighbour who has experience with dogs and used to help out with our previous dog also is going to call over midday and let them run around and play etc in the back garden and then give them a frozen treat to keep them occupied until I return from work. My other brother that has also moved out of my mothers will help too.

I will then return the favour and walk both of them as I will get back before my brother.

I have two questions if anyone can help?

Firstly, would it be best to shut the door and not let them see each other while they are in the house alone together or would it be okay to get one of those very large dog gates to put in the door way so they can at least see each other and interact in some way or would this makes things worse some how?

Secondly, does can anyone recommend a dual lead for walking too dogs of different sizes? My brothers lab is like a horse compared to Troy.

Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:26

Personally, I would let them see each other. I have a 'joining' lead made by Rogz which is just a short lead with a ring in the middle and a clasp on each end. You can eiher clip your lead to the ring and have a dog on each end or, as with dogs of differing sizes, leash the one and clip the two dogs together with the joing leash with the more obedient walker on the leash is you know what I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:39

Cool.

I was wondering really if it would make them go crazy and want to get to each other more or something?

I guess they would just settle down as if they were alone and sleep etc or something anyway? But at least it is like having some sort of company of they can see / sniff through the gate etc.

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:47; edited 1 time in total

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:47

I wouldn't let them see each other well. Can't be of a help with a dual lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 09:47

Sorry, you wouldn't let them see each other what? Well? What do you mean..?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 10:07

Pleased you seem to have found a solution , now you just have to work out the best method of keeping them getting along , sure it can all work out for you >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 10:12

I think it depends on how you would seperate them. If you're going to use a gate. bear in mind that either dog could easily jump it from a standing start!

If they're in seperate rooms they may settle easier & sleep. On the other hand they may pine for each other - it'll probably have to be trial & error - I'd start with seperate rooms & if that doesn't work then some sort of divider (tall enough to stop them clearing it!).

I can't help with the lead - I've never used a double one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:04

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I didn't want them to go crazy pining for each other. I guess some trial and error is in order. By the way, the gate was going to be one of those extra tall dog gates that you can buy.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:11

Gee wrote:Sorry, you wouldn't let them see each other what? Well? What do you mean..?

I think J meant to say that he wouldn't let them see each other as well. He was just agreeing with the other post.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:26; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:12

Well I was going to say, let them see one another. Otherwise they could be pineing and barking for one another and just go stir crazy? At least if they can see one another, they might ever fall alsleep side by side with the gate between them and feel more secure? Its a hard one isnt it, to be seen or not to be seen. Having said that, I am glad you have managed to sort something out Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by anitapitbull Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:22

my heart goes out to you as i no you need to work if i lived near you i would walk him but try the lady and see how she feels about it and if she can't he will get used to being laft but i hope you lady helps you out
anitapitbull
anitapitbull
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : keyser,starling,cheyenne
Dog(s) Ages : keyser is 8 starling is 11 cheyenne is 12
Dog Gender(s) : keyser is male starling is female cheyenne is female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:43

Staffy lover wrote:Well I was going to say, let them see one another. Otherwise they could be pineing and barking for one another and just go stir crazy? At least if they can see one another, they might ever fall alsleep side by side with the gate between them and feel more secure? Its a hard one isnt it, to be seen or not to be seen. Having said that, I am glad you have managed to sort something out Smile

Yeah that's what I mean.

Guess I'll do a test run on the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 12:24

Gee wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I didn't want them to go crazy pining for each other. I guess some trial and error is in order. By the way, the gate was going to be one of those extra tall dog gates that you can buy.

Could work. As long as it's tall enough that they can't take a run & scale it! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Jul 25 2012, 12:27

Hmmm, well theoretically he could but Troy is lazy and Bison is not much of a jumper, but we'll try it out on a trial basis and see if one of them jump it or not Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next