any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw?

4 posters

Go down

any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw? Empty any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw?

Post by krik1690 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:01

Dog has went off his kibble. Ive bought him jwb to barking heads, hes a wee fuss pot and hasnt eating right in a few days. So i brought him to the vets and he said hes fine. So ive decided to possibly change to raw. Any tips on what ways best or anyway websites that sells it??
krik1690
krik1690
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw? Empty Re: any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:06

Ella will know all about it.

But what way are you feeding? Are you setting it down and leaving it or only letting it stay down for a little while? Can you add anything to make it taste better?

Back to top Go down

any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw? Empty Re: any nutrisionists on here or somebody no's about raw?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:20

durham animal feeds are the one that get the most mention when this subject is brought up thumbs up
im giving some thought to feeding raw myself as my boy been getting raw tripe recently so wanting to try some other things also

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:22

If you're interested in raw feeding these might help you...

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners/whatisrmb.php

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:31

Do you have to feed bones and all.
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:33

Yes. They won't get the full nutrition they need without raw bones in the diet.

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Wed Jul 18 2012, 16:45

It seems like alot of hassel. Makin sure uve the right ratio ect. And it seems more expensive aswell.
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:34

on the contrey it works out cheaper in the long run yes takes a bit getting used to but after a while its just the norm

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:37

It doesn't suit everyone, I would feed raw but haven't got the freezer space of the time/memory to be able to do it, and tbh after some pics I've seen I'd rather not! You could try something like sardines or egg mixed into the kibble, I bet he'd eat it then Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:41

or go to a pet store most will do frozen raw minced tripe just to get a feel if raw going to suit you thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Jul 18 2012, 17:57

If you keep changing his food every time he turns his nose up at it then you've probably made him more fussy.

I would always recommend feeding raw to anyone who's up for it and able to but it takes a good bit of research and planning to start with.

In the mean time, I suggest putting your dogs food down for 10/15 minutes and if he doesn't eat it, take it up again then do the same next meal time. Don't feed anything else between meals and he'll soon realise he's not going to get anything else. Might take a day or two or even a few more but a healthy dog won't starve itself.

As for raw, start by looking into and deciding whether you want to feed prey model raw or BARF (biologically appropriate raw food).

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Jul 18 2012, 19:04

I personally find prey model easier to follow than the hassle of BARF. I am used to it and mine love it. I store all their feed in a huge chest freezer in the garage. I defrost 2-3 days of food at a time. They love love love it!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 20:05

Galadriel wrote:If you keep changing his food every time he turns his nose up at it then you've probably made him more fussy.

I would always recommend feeding raw to anyone who's up for it and able to but it takes a good bit of research and planning to start with.

In the mean time, I suggest putting your dogs food down for 10/15 minutes and if he doesn't eat it, take it up again then do the same next meal time. Don't feed anything else between meals and he'll soon realise he's not going to get anything else. Might take a day or two or even a few more but a healthy dog won't starve itself.

As for raw, start by looking into and deciding whether you want to feed prey model raw or BARF (biologically appropriate raw food).

I agree, put the food down (whatever you decide he's going to have) & take it up till next meal time if he doesn't eat it!

I don't like BARF much myself, I prefer Prey Model or Raw Meaty Bones (RMB).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum