Exercise During Pregnancy

Go down

Exercise During Pregnancy Empty Exercise During Pregnancy

Post by Nosipho Tue Jul 10 2012, 14:13

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask people (especially Denise) what their take is on how much exercise to give a bitch in the later stages of pregnancy? Tali is due on the 4th of August and up until know I have still been walking her just as much but have just limited strenuous activity like running and jumping.

Shes starting to get pretty fat now and though she doesnt seem to be getting puffed out I just wondered if its dangerous to keep exercising her (shes doing about 2miles road walking a calm off-lead a day.) Was going to walk her into town (about a mile each way) but didnt want to over-do it.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Exercise During Pregnancy Empty Re: Exercise During Pregnancy

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 14:27

Light exercise is fine towards the end of her pregnancy. Just dont over do it.
Carry on doing pretty much what your doing now, shes use to it so can't see it doing any damage as such.

I'm really not that much help, You see where i live i stop all road walking as soon as a preggie belly starts to show.
As its like walking Barclays bank on legs where i live, and its not unheard of for ppl to break in to pinch a pregnant female or her and her new born pups.
So i air on the side of caution and refuse to take my females out during the later stages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 16:31

I walked mine right up till the day of the birth to a greater or lesser extent, but I can see why you don't, Denise - it would be awful if she got stolen!

I think bitches cope much better with gentle exercise in the latter stages than women do! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 11 2012, 09:29

I was sort of going with the school of thinking that the fitter she was the easier the birth would be. Bless her she is getting lazy though, I keep worrying that her little ankles must be aching. Think thats just me being silly though! I'll have to take a picture of her later so everyone can see her swelly belly. Thanks for the advice you two.

We live in a pretty dodgy area too but luckily know almost everyone there, noone would be able to take our pooches cuz they are so well known. Also they would have to get past Skibadee, shes a devillish guard dog! >Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 10:14

Nosipho wrote:I was sort of going with the school of thinking that the fitter she was the easier the birth would be. Bless her she is getting lazy though, I keep worrying that her little ankles must be aching. Think thats just me being silly though! I'll have to take a picture of her later so everyone can see her swelly belly. Thanks for the advice you two.

We live in a pretty dodgy area too but luckily know almost everyone there, noone would be able to take our pooches cuz they are so well known. Also they would have to get past Skibadee, shes a devillish guard dog! >Smile

I'm certainly no expert in this area and have never breed. I agree with your thinking that the fitter she is the easier the birth will be. She should let you know if she is in the mood for exercise as well. Maybe just shorten the route and go multiple times if she is up for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:42

Thanks guys, put my mind at rest.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female