is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id

+2
Steve
Spaldingstaffies
6 posters

Go down

is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id  Empty is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id

Post by Spaldingstaffies Tue Jan 04 2011, 13:19

Hi,

Although it may come across as the opposite I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely wondering about peoples thoughts on the subject.

I thought, but could be wrong, that a dog in a public place must by law have an id tag showing the owners surname, house number and postcode. Has that law been changed now?

Its a serious question as I'm not sure, I've got such a tag for both my dogs as I thought the penalty was a 5k fine, but everyone I've spoken to has asked me what I'm talking about, the majority have said that their dog is micro chipped (doesn't mention micro chipping in the article), that or they say that's a stupid law and they are not following it as they don't need to and nobody would ever bother stopping them to check? These are all dog owners who claim to be responsible yet according to what I read they ignore the law of dog ownership, I understand the bit about nobody bothering to check but what if something went wrong and you got reported, would the police or council whoever it may be not check the tag for compliance of the law at that stage so they can rack up more charges? which is why I was just asking if I was the one who is wrong and the law that I read has been abolished now?

By the way, I'm not saying I have these tags because I agree with having those details on them, I just have them as they are the law, or so I thought lol
Spaldingstaffies
Spaldingstaffies
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Finn
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id  Empty Re: is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id

Post by Steve Tue Jan 04 2011, 13:28

yea all dogs should have dog tag with all the info on them but who going enforce it?

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/ukdoglaws.html

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id  Empty Re: is it still illegal to walk your dog without correct id

Post by Steve Tue Jan 04 2011, 13:31

i never put my dogs names in case someone takes your dog

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Tue Jan 04 2011, 13:49

I never knew this Ty doesnt have a tag he always has his coller on though I will have to get him 1 whoops thanks for asking that question lol.
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 04 2011, 14:22

I never new this either, although mine does have a collar and is micro-chipped Smile its a wealth of info on here!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 14:26

Kuma has a chip and her tag says our address and her name

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 14:50

ye all dogs must wear a collar and tag and even if your using a harness a collar must also be worn but im the same i will not put a dogs name on the tag just my surname address and my mobile number

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Tue Jan 04 2011, 15:41

Molly has a tag on her collar with my surname, my house number, my postcode and a telephone number.
She doesn't have her name on it, because as Steve said, if someone takes your dog, they then know it's name.
She also has a tag on her collar saying "I'm microchipped, scan me" And she has a similar one on her harness, just incase she looses her collar whilst she's out in her harness.
As far as I knew it was illegal to have a dog in public without a collar or or ID tag, it was the first thing we did when we got her.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by piggy Tue Jan 04 2011, 17:33

When Piggy went off with the spaniel next door and got hit by a car...we found her by phonong the police, they said she had been found and taken by the dog warden...we phoned him and arranged to meet as he was out on his rounds...even though Piggy had been hit by a car and was grazed on her leg he said she has to have a collar,name tag with phone number and post code on...we explained that as we live on a farm we were concerned about the dogs getting snarled by the collar.... he said it doesn't matter in a PUBLIC place they need the ID tag... she has one now and we have had her "chipped"....he said it was a £40 fine down here in Helston....
piggy
piggy
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mini
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 1

http://thelittleminidogblog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 17:58

Maz (& charlie my other staffie now not with us) got out of my front garden a few years back and because Charlie had to tag on I got ordered to pay £40 plus buy a name tag there and then (£5.99) at the council/dog warden office! I was living in Surrey at the time

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaldingstaffies Tue Jan 04 2011, 19:31

ah I guess the £40 must be the standard and then I suppose the 5k is maybe for repeated charges. I'm glad I got them now, I was going to say that if it was an old law that wasn't used anymore then I'd get rid of them but they're definatley staying on now, better safe than sorry I suppose.
Spaldingstaffies
Spaldingstaffies

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Finn
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 19:34

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Molly has a tag on her collar with my surname, my house number, my postcode and a telephone number.
She doesn't have her name on it, because as Steve said, if someone takes your dog, they then know it's name.
She also has a tag on her collar saying "I'm microchipped, scan me" And she has a similar one on her harness, just incase she looses her collar whilst she's out in her harness.
As far as I knew it was illegal to have a dog in public without a collar or or ID tag, it was the first thing we did when we got her.

Yes, exactly. It's the law that any dog must have a tag attached to its collar with the owner's surname, postcode & phone number.

I NEVER put a dog's name on its tag - some dogs will go with anyone if they use its name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down