Kizzy reacting odd to a child

Go down

Kizzy reacting odd to a child Empty Kizzy reacting odd to a child

Post by Kizzy Wed Jul 04 2012, 23:53

Hi I am looking for advice.....

I have three children and we have had Kizzy from a pup and she is great with all with the children. However my friends children came round to play the other day..not that other kids havn't been round to play before....and her children are not really very sure of dogs, however one of her boys came into the kitchen where me and Kizzy were and he crouched down towards the floor about a metre and half away from Kizzy. And she started really barking at him and acting not very happy???? It put me a bit on edge. I just don't get it. Did she maybe pick up on the child being afraid? Is this something to worry about. I have never seen her react like this towards anyone before.
Please any advice

Kizzy
Kizzy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Kizzy reacting odd to a child Empty Re: Kizzy reacting odd to a child

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 01:16

The do get a sense of emotions so that could be the reason. How old is the child and were they on the floor with her? If the child is very young be sure to supervise. If the child is older try having them feed a treat or two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 08:39

The sudden movement of kids can worry a nervous dog. As jstaff said try having them feed a few treats, but honestly if they are dog fearful i wouldn't have them in the same room as their fear will make your dog more anxious and thats when accidents happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kizzy Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:20

The child was 5. He just crouched down as if to say hello to Kizzy. I was in the room too. I would never leave a child alone with any dog. My youngest was bitten a few months ago by my brother in laws Weimaraner as it managed to jump a stairgate and get into my living room without me knowing. So I am very aware with dogs around children. I shall just keep Kizzy seperate from them in futre.Kizzy is not a nervous dog she is very playful and very good and gentle with my kids. She is still a young dog just about 1 year old so I'm thinking from your comments that she did pick up on the scaredness of the child and didn't know how to react.
Kizzy
Kizzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:23

Human nervousness seems to confuse dogs, especially young dogs. They don'y have their full self confidence themselves yet & can react to nervousness around them.

She obviously can't say "I'm uncomfortable" to you, so she did what she could - she barked.

I take it she didn't lunge towards the child or show any aggression (lips back/snarling/hackles & tail raised)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:24

Could very well be. They also act differently when you are on the ground or the same level as they are which is applicapble to a child of that age. In this instance they think they are being played with and will act accordingly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kizzy Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:26

No She never showed teeth or snarled it was just very sharp and loud barking with her front legs lower than her back. like she was crouching
Kizzy
Kizzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:27

She could also have been inviting play! That's a typical "play with me" pose & action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:30

Sounds like an invatation to play to me as well because the child is on the same level as her. Here is a link that should help you with reading body language.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Kizzy Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:39

Thank you very much. That link pretty much explains it all. I actually feel a bit silly as It's something I should have known. I was just a bit on edge after what happened to my youngest. Wasn't sure how to take it.
Thank you xx
Kizzy
Kizzy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:45

Nothing at all wrong with asking questions or seeking advice. No one knows everything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:48

Kizzy wrote:Thank you very much. That link pretty much explains it all. I actually feel a bit silly as It's something I should have known. I was just a bit on edge after what happened to my youngest. Wasn't sure how to take it.
Thank you xx

You mustn't feel silly. You're actually being very responsible.

There are no silly questions if you need an answer! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down