Changes to Standards

Go down

Changes to Standards Empty Changes to Standards

Post by Steveb Wed May 23 2012, 09:58

I've noticed few threads lately about dogs height, weight etc... and thought it would be interesting to start a thread about the changes in our breed over the years (good and bad). Whether the changes have been driven by fads/trends/fashion, breed standard amendments or simply purely the evolution of their role over the years. I'm sure not everybody will agree with each other but then again that is how it's always been and certainly back in the 1930's when the original standard was drawn up there was much heated debate about which "type" was correct.

So to kick it off I've found this great link referring to official changes in the Standard from when it was first created in 1935 then 1948 through to the final changes in 1987:

http://www.staffordmall.com/standardhistory.htm

Steveb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Changes to Standards Empty Re: Changes to Standards

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 10:25

Interesting. The only things that have really changed are the height & the inclusion of Blue.

I don't really agree that the founders of the breed standard of 1935 would have thought of blue as liver - the colours are so totally different. I just don't think there were blues in the dogs they based the standard on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveb Wed May 23 2012, 10:40

You're right - It would be strange if they thought blue as liver. I think I'm right in saying that blue is a diluted black (a mutated gene) in which case I guess there was probably no or at least very rare to find a blue Stafford in the days when the standard was drawn up - so it wasn't even considered.

Steveb

Status Status :

Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 10:48

Yes, I think you're right. It may well have existed (and probably did) but if the dogs that were available to them at the time weren't blue, they probably wouldn't have even considered it.

The only other change, the height, has always been a bit controversial.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down