Passey83
janey
jshrew
Steve
eskidavies
Pollyanna
10 posters

Go down

Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust Empty Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:09

Just read this on FB that staffies and crosses won't be taken in by the dogs trust here due to the fact they are too hard to rehome due to prejudice and behavioural problems. This revelations came about because a staff cross was abandoned and the pound are now ready to get him put down but the Dogs Trust won't take him to save his life cause they don't think he will be rehomed.

Lovely to know that ALL dogs get equal treatment by one of the countires largest no kill shelter.

Back to top Go down

Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust Empty Re: Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:21

That's disgusting! I hope the media have a field day with that! I used to be a big fan of the Dogs Trust, not anymore!

Back to top Go down

Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust Empty Re: Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:23

that is horrible

angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:23

I see. So, they won't put a healthy dog down, but if it's a certain type, they won't take it? So it's put down anyway. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:30

Seems that way! I have contacted the person who said this to see what they intend to do about it. I will also email the dogs trust!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:35

Sad words fail me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:37

The dog was taken by another rescue centre thankfully. Hopefully it gets a good home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:38

i have just emailed the dogs trust to see what they say
i think it may all be hear say as they mention nothing about not excepting them on there site

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:45

Its just this lady phoned them to ask if the dog could be taken in by them as it was due to pts but they said they wouldnt take it as a staffy x is too hard to rehome. Its nothing official per sey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 12:53

Equi wrote:Its just this lady phoned them to ask if the dog could be taken in by them as it was due to pts but they said they wouldnt take it as a staffy x is too hard to rehome. Its nothing official per sey

get it it may just be an over run center then still not good enough and the dogs trust may be glad to be alerted as there a charity and bad p[ress could be very bad for them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 13:18

Yeah thats true! Hopefully someone gets back to me, if they say that they are less likely to take staffs cause od rehoming issues ill go mad, but im guessin they will just say the same as you have, but in that case why would they tell this lady they find it hard to rehome stafs and not just say they are full. i nearly have a mind to ring and pretend i want to put a dog in lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 17 2012, 13:19

just been told that other sanctuarys refuse to take german shepards. what is going on here?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Thu May 17 2012, 13:25

That's terrible. I got Lilly from Liverpool Dog Rescue, its only a small centre and they had staffies, staffie crosses, German Shepherd and a couple of small terriers. They never pts even if they don't rehome, one large staffie was with them for 3 years before its eventually found its forever home. And they insist ont he dog back if there are any issues once the dog is rehomed, they do such a great job. Smile
Pollyanna
Pollyanna
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffies and crosses not welcome at Dogs Trust Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Thu May 17 2012, 17:30

my mothers auntie donnates a fair sum to the dogs trust,over lunch the other day she told my mam and her cousin,the only family she has left,that when she goes theres a little somthing for each of them,guess whos havin the house,the bloody dogs trust,i may print the origional post and show her ,make her change her mind ,giving the house to the dogs trust thats sacrilage,my mam needs to talk to her ,tell her they will make a nice donation but leave the house to her and her cousin who would benefit more,BTW her dog is a staffy.
eskidavies
eskidavies
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 17 2012, 17:49

i wouldn't believe a word on facebook these day its full of nut-jobs go undercover and phone them up and found out...

Last edited by Steve on Thu May 17 2012, 20:51; edited 1 time in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu May 17 2012, 20:36

Ledger is from Dogs Trust Shrewsbury and I have the staffy page bookmarked to see the comings and goings seam to be a frequent turn over of new faces being rehomed just one boy Frankie that was reserved when I got Ledger who was returned and nearly a year on is still there Sad they couldnt have been better they talked me into taking Ledger earlier than I planned as he wasn't happy in kennels but offered to home him for free for a week if I couldnt talk my parents into looking after him for a week while I was away at work

I guess it depends on the area but another local family run rescue near here is over run with staffys I guess the nature of the non breed specific rescues is that they need to give people a choice of breeds to rescue
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 17 2012, 21:39

Sadly I heard this a long time ago, never new if it was true or not.

That is the sad state of affair our breed is in, there are too many needing homes that even shelters can't help, they rely on the dogs being homed and a turn around, staffs are hard to rehome in the numbers that they are in.

I will never slate a shelter, they are doing a job, but I will slate the byb breeders for over producing.

The shelters no its not the dog to blame, they're not prejduice, its the people who over breed them that are the culprits and until we stop that shelters will be over run by Staffies.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Fri May 18 2012, 11:37

This is the response I have just received from the Deputy CEO at dogs trust regarding this issue:

"Nicholas

Many thanks for your e mail. It's always useful to receive feedback from our supporters.

With regard to your query, I can say that Dogs Trust does take in Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Staffie Crosses.

Every day Dogs Trust has approximately 1,600 dogs in our care. At present, 822 are displayed on the website. There are a number of reasons why half the dogs are not featured on the website - eg they may be waiting to go to a new home, have only just arrived, be undergoing behavioural work or they might be a young puppy (we don't promote individual puppies on the website in order to give older dogs a chance).

Of the 822 dogs currently on display, 85 are Staffies. That's just over 10%. If that picture reflects the situation amongst all our dogs (which is more than likely), then we'll have around 165 Staffies at our centres at the moment.

I did a quick check of other popular breeds and it seems that we have more Staffies in our centres than any other breed.

It may well be that the rumour you heard concerns our policy of offering as much choice as possible to prospective adopters in order to maximise the numbers of lives we can save.

Sadly, there are more dogs needing to be saved than we have available kennel space. So very difficult choices have to be made. We're unashamedly a charity that believes that our duty is to save as many dogs' lives as is possible and, to that end, we try not to allow any particular breed to dominate our centres as we know this has an adverse effect on the numbers of dogs we can rehome. It has an adverse effect because there are only so many people in the local area looking for a particular breed of dog. So, the less choice you have in the centre, the fewer dogs you can rehome.

So, on occasions, it may well be that the decision is taken to favour a dog of a particular breed or crossbreed over one that is already well represented in a centre. Whilst there are more abandoned dogs than available kennel space, such tough choices will always need to be made.

That being said, we will be opening a new centre in Loughborough in a fortnight and another in Basildon in 2013. That will mean more available kennel space and more dogs, of all breeds, saved.

I hope this has answered your question. Should you have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With best wishes

Adrian"

At least they responded.
Passey83
Passey83
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 12:20

Yeah at least they responded. But basically said that if they have a different breed they will take it over a staffy. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri May 18 2012, 12:37

Good to hear that two more centres are being opened, but sad that they have to be.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri May 18 2012, 20:04

i think they seem to be doing all they can but there are 2 many unwanted dogs! i feel the best thing to do is support all these animal charities they are struggling as we all are in these dire economic days i give what i can and i dont feel negative publicity helps these organisations im sure the dogs trust do a fantastic job in most instances! i know if it werent for the rspca and staffy rescue my 2 dogs wouldnt be with me now!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 00:17

We're not saying don't support them. I was just expressing my anger that if givin a choice, another dogs life is more important than a staffy. I don't like liar sand telling people they help all dogs is a lie. They help dogs that they can rehome. And they should say so.

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat May 19 2012, 18:20

it just concerns me that posts expressing negative comments damage how people see these organisations which in turn will affect all the dogs be it a staffy or a heinz 57 there has already been one posted on here by a person that was going to tell her mother who does support dogs trust! dogs trust did respond and i do understand but maybe not overly agree with what they said! if all the A holes in this world stopped abandoning dogs like they were rubbish then the shelters wouldnt be so full in the first place!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 18:39

It is entirely up to that person if they want to donate a HOUSE to the dogs trust and whatever reason they want to. Negative comments make the world go around, perhaps this will make them sit up and do more education on staffies rather than just abandoning them to being pts cause there are too many. as a dog charity, that is the leeast they can do. i'm all for charity rescues but im appalled they have said this. i dont know why you are getting to up in arms about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat May 19 2012, 18:54

maybe in your world but not mine!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 22:58

I dont even know what you are talking about now.

Give up.

End.

Back to top Go down

Post by StaffyBull-T Sun May 20 2012, 09:57

Well, that is just lovely!
What are they gonna do? Kill them when they need help?
StaffyBull-T
StaffyBull-T
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 20:50

Thank you for contacting Dogs Trust

We do indeed take in Staffordshire Bull Terriers and crosses. We do not like to turn any dogs away. However our centres have many SBTs and crosses in their kennels and as we try not to discriminate we look to take one of a particular breed when we have rehomed one of that breed. This is not a rule but we work this way in general for the most popular breeds. We do similar for Greyhounds for instance.

It is a concern that we do not become a breed rescue as we try to assist with all kinds of dog including crossbreeds, and not a particular breed

We try to help as many as we can but it would be an impossible task currently to assist will al requests to take in dogs. Sadly people remember the ones that we cannot take and little mention is made of the assistance that we have given by taking in other dogs.

We are sorry that there is this perception and it is not pleasant to know that we are seen as such but we will continue to help Stafford's and others as much as we can.

I am awaiting figures from our IT deptment as to the number of SBT’s and SBT crosses we have at our rehoming centres at this time and I shall forward these figures onto you when they get back to me, I just wanted to send you a reply for now.

Yours sincerely

Ann Campling

ann.campling@dogstrust.org.uk
Dogs Trust - A Dog Is For Life

Visit our website at http://www.dogstrust.org.uk
or call us on: 020-7837 0006
Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee (or are not responsible for delivery of the message to the addressee), you may not copy or deliver it to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and notify us immediately.

Opinions, contractual commitments, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by Dogs Trust unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative.
As Internet communications are not secure we do not accept legal liability for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communication by any third party, or sustained as a result of any software viruses.

Registered Charity Numbers: 227523, SC037843 and CHY 16218here the reply i received from the dogs trust

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 20:51

the reply i recieved today from them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 22:04

Dear Hayley

Thank you for contacting us with this query. There are no breeds that
Dogs Trust refuses to take just because of their breed.

However we do select dogs from the waiting lists based on their
temperament and rehomability. In the case of certain types (including
Staffies) we have a maximum number we can take into each centre.
Unfortunately there are so many of these dogs around that we would
quickly fill our kennels if we took them all.

Also as these types are much more difficult to rehome this would prevent
other breeds from having access to kennels resulting in more dogs put to
sleep. We have staffie crosses in Ballymena that have been in kennels
for over a year with no interest from potential adopters.

We all do our best for all the dogs that come to us but we have to
carefully manage our intake to guarantee as many dogs as possible get
the chance of finding a new home.

Regards

David

David Franklin
Assistant Operations Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 22:06

Thats the one i got.

Also as these types are much more difficult to rehome this would prevent
other breeds from having access to kennels resulting in more dogs put to
sleep.

loved that part

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue May 22 2012, 22:10

janey wrote:

That is the sad state of affair our breed is in, there are too many needing homes that even shelters can't help, they rely on the dogs being homed and a turn around, staffs are hard to rehome in the numbers that they are in.

I will never slate a shelter, they are doing a job, but I will slate the byb breeders for over producing.

The shelters no its not the dog to blame, they're not prejduice, its the people who over breed them that are the culprits and until we stop that shelters will be over run by Staffies.

I think its great that they have responded and I aplaud them. I get what they are saying so once again I repeat, blame the breeders not the shelters, they are doing there best.

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 09:40

total agree janey thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamsax Wed May 23 2012, 16:53

janey wrote:
janey wrote:

I think its great that they have responded and I aplaud them. I get what they are saying so once again I repeat, blame the breeders not the shelters, they are doing there best.

Couldnt agree more! Its a bit like when i was keeping snakes. The market was absolutely flooded with corn snakes because irresponsible breeders just saw pound signs instead of looking at whether there was actually a market for these snakes.

You have to blame irresponsible breeders and owners for the amount of staffies needing rehoming, the charities are just trying to do their best.

Jamsax

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down