We need to get whoever wrote this fired!

+4
lmjc90
janey
maria0077
looby
8 posters

Go down

Sad We need to get whoever wrote this fired!

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 08:51

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/04/26/barking-up-the-wrong-tree-with-microchips/

Be prepared to be super angry upon reading the above link, this guy should be fired and not allowed to spout this nasty viscious vitriol, it is totaly bad, judgmental, 'journalism'.
I honestly cannot believe I read this, calling staffies 'unloveable' 'beasts', I can't even go on, you can read for yourselves.

We have called the Shropshire post this morning to complain and will be writing into the paper as well, and would urge everybody owning a Staff or even anyone who understand the breed in the slightist to complain about these viscious lies

here is the email addy of the paper starmail@shropshirestar.co.uk, just put it for attention of the editor.

Let's get this guy to at least retract his article and print an apoloy for saying such things as this about us all
'We’ve all seen their owners – sporting tattoos, Union Jack T-shirts over their ample stomachs and forbidding frowns – swagger down the street with one of these slavering weapons at the end of a short leash.' frustrated

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/04/26/barking-up-the-wrong-tree-with-microchips/#ixzz1tE0AMW5T

looby
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 11mths
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: We need to get whoever wrote this fired!

Post by maria0077 Fri Apr 27 2012, 09:39

Oh my god........ banghead
I'll send them an e-mail but I doubt it will have any positive impact furious
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
We need to get whoever wrote this fired! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Apr 27 2012, 10:02

What an incredible piece of naive, biased and stereotypical bull.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Fri Apr 27 2012, 10:21

I sent the e-mail....

Dear Madam/Sir,

I’d like to object to article “Barking up the wrong tree with microchips” on your web page.

I remember we had learned to write basic newspaper article at grammar school. If I had submitted something like this the teacher would have said that I didn’t have enough background information and that I used just cheap jokes and generalisation to cover up for my incompetence. I think you have insulted the vast majority of readers and that the article missed the point.
I’m not a journalist but in my opinion such an article is not good enough for any quality news portal.

“...Vicious monsters...”, “...as dangerous as unexploded bombs...”, “...owners of these unlovable and potentially-lethal beasts are often as dangerous as their animals...”, “...their owners – sporting tattoos, Union Jack T-shirts over their ample stomachs and forbidding frowns – swagger down the street with one of these slavering weapons at the end of a short leash...”, “...why on earth people have any affection for these aggressive, dumb, sharp-fanged beasts (and why on earth their dogs are popular too)...”....

I think it is sad that a public news portal published such a poorly written article.
I feel personally affected because I am a responsible owner of a staffy as a loving pet otherwise I would probably just laugh at it.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Marie
Glasgow

PS: They wrote back I have to include full postal address so I did:-)
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 10:29

well done maria Smile

Maybe if they get enough emails and calls such as these, they will think and stop anything like this going to print again.

Im getting in touch with the rspca about it too , as they have a staffie campaign atm to change the negative perception people have of them, sure they won't be happy either Smile

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 11:00

The papers excuse for it was ' it's a comment piece' but it's very irresponsible in my opinion, for them to let it go to print at all.
And it's not at all obvious that its just a comment piece, no where I could see did it say that on the page.

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 15:55

http://www.pcc.org.uk/

press complaints comitee, website, have also sent email to them Smile

As pointed out by someone on twitter, not only is this an attack on staffie + rotties, on their owners but also people with tatoos, people who wear union jacks and bigger people lol

I personally don't have a tattoo or own anything with a union Jack but does that mean if I did then I would be a villan only wanting to harm people? I think not

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 17:23

they think all staffy owners are hard lad looking, they want to take a look at my mum. lol

have posted this everywhere, what a horrible piece of writing!

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 18:49

lol I know, well I'm disabled so I don't think I look hard somehow taking Tinsel for a walk alongside my scooter Laughing ooooo scary...unless maybe they think I'll run em over at 3 mph

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 19:35

Tell you what my uncle has one of those scooters and he is a bloody menece! Actually got pulled over by the police and told to slow down! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Fri Apr 27 2012, 23:02

lol, mine doesn't go that fast, but I know what you mean, I have seen some zooming around pavements causing people to quickly get out the way.
But it just goes to prove the point, you can't judge all by a few who choose to behave a certain way.

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 05:00

I just sent an email to the editor as well! angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 13:48

I've sent it to my facebook page, in the hope it will anger alot more people, who hopefully will complain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 13:53

Sorry, it didnt post!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Sat Apr 28 2012, 14:16

Ok thanks for trying though, I noticed that they have closed the article to comments now.
Interesting reading what people had said though, not one person agreeing with him - funny that.
I just hope the editor doesn't see this as any publicity is good publicity, although upon reading the law on the press complaints comitee site about how a report should be put together, I notice that this article is in breach of quite a few laws, so I am putting it all together to send to them, see if the editor is feeling quite so happy to back this guy up as he was on the comments board.

My 11 year old daughter was in tears reading this, which shows just what a disgraceful nasty piece of work it was.
She has put together her own letter from her own point of view to send in as well.

This sort of irresponsible journalism has got to stop, they think they can pick on certain breeds of dog just because they can't fight back, well guess what we can and we can do it in a smarter way, with actual facts! than the idiot that wrote this article. Smile

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 16:11

I've shared the link on twitter, think it might have gone to them as well, not sure, I get lost with all this twittering stuff Blushing
Not sure how to put it on FB

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Sat Apr 28 2012, 18:51

Lol I'm hardly hard looki g either! I have tattoos and Pericles yes but I'm on crutches and I'm only 5"6 Laughing, I think this guys pathetic and really hasn't got
A clue what his jibbering on about!
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Sat Apr 28 2012, 21:35

Don't know about looking hard, id say we look more like country bumpkins me the kids and the furries trudging through the feilds in our wet weather gear, treat bag, whistle and poo bags at the ready! Big Grin

Then home for snugles on the sofa with our vicious beasties!

As for the article....what a *....and thats putting it mildly!
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 22:18

Absolutely fumming.......................who the bloody hell does this piece of scum think he is.

I am going too send an email and complain this is utter tosh written by a narrow minded t***er. at wits end

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Sun Apr 29 2012, 15:35

i have a tattoo ,skinhead(not my fault ageing hairloss so shave it ),a bit thick round the belly(something else that comes with age i guess),just missing the union jack tee shirt,guess ill have to diet get a wig and wear long sleeved tops ,dont want anyone getting the wrong idea when i take sox for a walk now do i, Rolling Eyes sleepy
eskidavies
eskidavies

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Sun Apr 29 2012, 16:05

lol exactly, Sox looks georgeous btw Love Struck

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Apr 30 2012, 11:57

I was OUTRAGED!
and then they actually replied to me asking for verification of my self, they wante dmy address so fine they can have it i have nothing to hide!

To whom it may concern

As a reader of your online article's, I can no begin to describe how disgusted I was by the article attacking staffordshirebull terriers. It was a shameless bias attack on one breed of dog that results in more breed discrimination that is not needed in this world. Articles like this often do not result in the offending dogs being removed or avoided, but the innocent ones being judged and in some cases killed for no fault of their own. If the writer believes that needing a test to own one of these dogs is foolish based on the fact that then we would need to enforce parent based testing then perhaps given the authors description of the kinds of people who own these dog, there should be parent based testing on these people.
I myself have owned both a Labrador and a staffordshire bullterrier, both being perfectly harmless. In fact I know a Stafford that is a trained search and rescue dog. My own being micro chipped and competing in shows. I say, if the author wanted to being breed into their article they may have referred to some people owning these dogs, but as for going as far as to call them unlovable beasts and that the owners are unsavory is in poor taste. I myself am offended, for i am not some tattooed, union jack toteing person, but a fashion hairstylist who has many times worked in Milan and Paris for Coco Channel, Louis Vuitton and many other runways and magazines. My Stafford has even been used as a model for fashion magazines, children's fashion magazines mind you.
I have notified my peers of my outrage about this article, and they range from right in the heart of London to as far as Helsinki Finland, All have agreed to stop reading the articles that you produce.
While I understand ones right to freedom of speech and personal opinion, there is no room for personal opinion in journalism of this type, and I hope to see a retraction of the aforementioned article.

sincerely
T. Baker.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Tue May 01 2012, 15:07

Just thought I'd post a link on an article that was written in reply to this one, well done to the lady who wrote it.
It does make me think, did the editor only let this one come to light as he has gotten so much stick about letting the other totally biased one go to print? (doesn't really matter as long as a correct representation of the breed is put forward)

We have had a reply from the press complaints comittee, letting us know that they are investigating the previous piece. Smile

Enjoy a more balance, correct article Smile
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/04/30/don%E2%80%99t-blame-the-dogs-blame-the-owners/?rs

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu May 03 2012, 11:44

That was much better to read Big Grin
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down