Our trip to Cornwall and new experience.

4 posters

Go down

Our trip to Cornwall and new experience. Empty Our trip to Cornwall and new experience.

Post by Lizzie Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:09

We had a wonderful time in Cornwall (pictures coming soon) and it only rained at night. Harry was a very good boy in the hotel and we did lots of walking. No SBT prejudice experienced at all, in fact when we were walking the narrow country lanes and stopped with Harry sitting to allow cars to pass people were waving and saying how cute and well behaved he was. Big Grin

But the first morning we met a local man walking 2 Labs off lead and Harry had a bit of go (he hates black labs especially) and the man said "don't worry my golden lab does the same thing to spaniels for some reason".

We became friends with a lovely lady who lived in the lane and met most mornings when she was walking a very laid back black labradoodle called Bill and I warned her the first time that Harry would kick off and apologised in advance. The little monster even tried to get through my legs to have a go. Second day she called out to me to comment that it must be frustrating to me to have him do this and not be able to let my dog off lead, and instead of hurrying away she stopped and talked to us and asked Harrys name. After chatting for a couple of minutes, with her dog just calmly by her side and off lead, my boy just very calmly laid down by my side completely chilled. I couldn't believe it Surprised . She said she deliberately spent time with us to give Harry the chance to realise that he didn't have to be wary of her dog and get worked up, and I was so grateful to her because the next time we met Harry was a totally different dog.

I know their is 2 types of aggression, dominance and fear, so I'm assuming Harry has fear aggression as he only misbehaves towards large dogs. Should I therefore treat him differently, normally I make him 'walk on' when we are about to encounter a dog I think he might get awkward with. Am I sending him the wrong message by doing this? Obviously most people are really happy that I walk on as quick as possible Smile Any advice welcome as although Harry has improved tremendously it would be so much nicer if we would go more places together without having to be constantly aware of meeting dogs he might have a go at. Should also mention that on the occasions a dog has done the same thing to Harry he will obey me and walk on without responding. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Our trip to Cornwall and new experience. Empty Re: Our trip to Cornwall and new experience.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:43

Hi Lizzie great to see you had a good time , if you don't mind could you make a post here https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f76-dog-friendly-holidays with a few details of where you stayed and a bit of a review, it will help our members out a lot. Also if there was a particular website you used for booking etc.

And don't forget them pictures Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Our trip to Cornwall and new experience. Empty Re: Our trip to Cornwall and new experience.

Post by dazza Fri Apr 27 2012, 00:12

hi i live in cornwall and i have got to say im so pleased that you dint get any funny looks coz of your dogs i love it when people come down with there dogs and would hate it if someone wouldnt come back because of bad attatudes where abouts where you when you came down and yes pics plz
dazza
dazza
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley and solar
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years/ 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 00:41

I love cornwall accents haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 08:30

glad you had a good time cant wait to see the pics

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 12:21

have to say on our recent trip cornwall seems to be more staff friendly than other areas couple of glares from 1or 2 other dog owners but many more smiles and fusses Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 12:22

have to say on our recent trip cornwall seems to be more staff friendly than other areas couple of glares from 1or 2 other dog owners but many more smiles and fusses Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 28 2012, 12:34

Dave, I keep looking at the place you stayed at while you where down there. The accommodation is very reasonable priced the only thing for us would be the long drive down there. I was very close to booking a week at Christmas earlier.

If only the price of diesel was cheaper I would definately have booked it. It would cost us the same in fuel to get there as it would for the price of the accommodation. Never mind maybe next year.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Creeky Sat Apr 28 2012, 15:08

I'm glad you enjoyed Cornwall. I live there and sometimes work on the beach at Constantine Bay in the summer. There are loads of people with dogs on the beach in the summer, and I think many people choose to come to the beaches around here because they are dog friendly and there are no restrictions (which they do have on many of the beaches in Newquay and St Ives in the summer). There were lots of people with Staffys last year, and I certainly didn't see anyone experiencing any problems. The only rude comments I saw were directed towards a woman with two chaotic labs which she didn't have leads for!

Creeky
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28 2012, 15:31

kathytake2 wrote:Dave, I keep looking at the place you stayed at while you where down there. The accommodation is very reasonable priced the only thing for us would be the long drive down there. I was very close to booking a week at Christmas earlier.

If only the price of diesel was cheaper I would definately have booked it. It would cost us the same in fuel to get there as it would for the price of the accommodation. Never mind maybe next year.

Shame Kathy as it was good , free logs plentiful for the fire at Xmas too, it's not too bad for us as 260mls door to door and TBH my car is a company car so I only have the diesel costs to pay back at 14p / mile or something , we did clock up nearly a 1000mls incl the return journey over the week though with our adventuring. There are many more expensive places around . We've booked a week again in July as we couldn't bear the though of going to the Canaries or something and leaving Tilly behind with our family as she was in her element down there without even leaving the farm.

Back to top Go down

Post by dazza Sat Apr 28 2012, 18:11

Creeky wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed Cornwall. I live there and sometimes work on the beach at Constantine Bay in the summer. There are loads of people with dogs on the beach in the summer, and I think many people choose to come to the beaches around here because they are dog friendly and there are no restrictions (which they do have on many of the beaches in Newquay and St Ives in the summer). There were lots of people with Staffys last year, and I certainly didn't see anyone experiencing any problems. The only rude comments I saw were directed towards a woman with two chaotic labs which she didn't have leads for!
there is only two beaches in newquay that have no dogs in the summer all the rest allow dogs all year round as do most of the pubs untill the night and then you wouldnt want your dog out anyway in the town centre it gets a bit mad
dazza
dazza

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley and solar
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years/ 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down