stella
Steve
janey
lmjc90
*Karen*
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Daybreak  ?? re microchipping laws - Page 2 Empty Daybreak ?? re microchipping laws

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 06:54

First topic message reminder :

So did anybody see the news piece on Daybreak this morning , was a little dissapointed because they showed what looked like 2 staffys at the kennels whilst they were talking , though the man on the scene did make a little fuss. Staffys were never actually mentioned once , and for a change they threw another dog in the ring which was the Rottie (and a very nice looking one) . Thought the comments from the Rottie owner and the KC Rep were very matter of fact and just seem to reflect the opinions of everybody on here.

Back to top Go down

Daybreak  ?? re microchipping laws - Page 2 Empty Re: Daybreak ?? re microchipping laws

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:17

*Karen* wrote:It would help if they could shut down all these puppy farms for good, again in an ideal world they would ...

They should also ban sites like e pupz, pets 4 homes etc and gum tree - dont get me started.

Cutting down on people's means of advertising dogs would also be a small step...

Totally agree!

Back to top Go down

Daybreak  ?? re microchipping laws - Page 2 Empty Re: Daybreak ?? re microchipping laws

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:20

*Karen* wrote:The price of a pup will always come into it totally agree with you, people will always go for the cheaper option unfortunately.

It would help if they could shut down all these puppy farms for good, again in an ideal world they would ...

They should also ban sites like e pupz, pets 4 homes etc and gum tree - dont get me started.

Cutting down on people's means of advertising dogs would also be a small step...

Big Grin i will agree with that...

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:26

things like that is getting tougher on byb instead of good owners! i'm all for that i just cant agree with things with punishing good owners or poor owners.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:27

Steve wrote:things like that is getting tougher on byb instead of good owners! i'm all for that i just cant agree with things with punishing good owners or poor owners.

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:35

I agree I would prefer not to have to pay for a licence to own my dog, but if, in the eyes of the gov. it makes me look a more responsible owner then I would do it.
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:47

Caryll wrote:
janey wrote:
I don't really understand why you wouldn't have it done tbh.
Didn't see the program though Xx

I know a lot of people (mainly GSD people, it has to be said) who won't microchip. Their dogs are tattooed, as they have to be if they want to compete in Schutzhund, or some GSD shows, and won't put their dog through both. Also, some dogs get very bad reactions to chips - the area swells & becomes very inflamed. Occasionally they have to be removed - so what would happen then?

They can also migrate, and if a scan can't find it, would they make you have it done again? Who would police it?

What about the elderly or disabled who can't afford it?

I agree that microchipping should be encouraged, but I don't think it should be law.

speaking as a disabled person who struggles with money, I have and always will have any of my animals chipped, if you do struggle with money there are ways that you can get help, for example I had my first dog speyed at the RSPCA and they did the microchipping for free with the price of the speying and did it at same time. I really don't see there being any excuse not to chip your pet for your own sake and theirs.
I guess if they do have a reaction to chipping, I'm sure there would be measures put in place for that, ie a letter from a vet to say that's what happened or something similar.

looby
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 11mths
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 16:42

looby wrote:
Caryll wrote:
janey wrote:
I don't really understand why you wouldn't have it done tbh.
Didn't see the program though Xx

I know a lot of people (mainly GSD people, it has to be said) who won't microchip. Their dogs are tattooed, as they have to be if they want to compete in Schutzhund, or some GSD shows, and won't put their dog through both. Also, some dogs get very bad reactions to chips - the area swells & becomes very inflamed. Occasionally they have to be removed - so what would happen then?

They can also migrate, and if a scan can't find it, would they make you have it done again? Who would police it?

What about the elderly or disabled who can't afford it?

I agree that microchipping should be encouraged, but I don't think it should be law.

speaking as a disabled person who struggles with money, I have and always will have any of my animals chipped, if you do struggle with money there are ways that you can get help, for example I had my first dog speyed at the RSPCA and they did the microchipping for free with the price of the speying and did it at same time. I really don't see there being any excuse not to chip your pet for your own sake and theirs.
I guess if they do have a reaction to chipping, I'm sure there would be measures put in place for that, ie a letter from a vet to say that's what happened or something similar.

thumbs up I too completley agree and do not think there is any excuse not to micro chip...for most owners its just an added precausion IF (which i no some of u think its impossible but still....) there dog gets lost etc it can be returned quickly and not be faced with the possibility of the dog being pts or being put into the rescue system....seems like a no brainer to me and even if my dog did have a reaction to the chip for me it would be a minor thing compared to the benifits the chip would bring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 17:13

i never chip my and dont have plans too!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 18:43

Steve i think youre being a little stubborn on this. Micro-chipping is a good thing for dogs and owners. No they won't tackle the bad dog owners and * that don't give a damn, but you can't say that this forum will not support this because it will fail to help. Of course it will, but it will also help to reunite a lot of dogs and owners and help stop the vast amount of dogs in homes!

If someone goes on holiday for two weeks and is totally out of contact for one reason or another and a friends looking after the dog which escapes, then 7 days and the dogs put down or rehomed. If it has a chip that is less likely to happen as the phone numbers are on it, so please don't say the forum cant support something that just you don't agree with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 25 2012, 20:30

this forum wont support something that dont work we will only support things that will work sorry.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marble Wed Apr 25 2012, 22:57

Dogs will always fall into the wrong hands, what ever you do to enforce it...

The trick is to try and make it as hard as possible for these irresponsible owners by asking responsible owners to do several things i.e microchip

Agreed micro chip isn't enough, we need to make irresponsible owners stand out from the rest of us..

Micro chipping is only a small step in the right direction....
marble
marble
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Thu Apr 26 2012, 08:41

Steve, can you just clarify something please?

Do you not agree with micro-chipping in general, or do you simply not agree with the Governments plan to introduce compulsory micro-chipping?

I know you are probably very good with your dogs, and yes they probably are very well trained, however there is still a chance that they may escape/get lost/get stolen! Firstly, how would you be able to find them? Secondly, if you did find them, how would you be able to prove that they are yours?

Leo is a very well trained dog and does not like to wander to far from me or my OH. However he is chipped as, in my opinion, it is the sensible thing to do.

Passey83
Passey83
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:19

they not going escape, they wont get lost, they wont get stolen and they not going attack anybody.

they never go in the front garden, they wouldn't leave the property without anyone and i wouldn't give anybody a chance to nick them, i dont tried them to anything and leave them only me who take them out, no body is going break in to nick them.

my dogs doen't need a mircochip, it should be a choice for the owner if he/she want them & it doesn't mean that owner is a bad owner becasue they decide not to do it

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Passey83 Thu Apr 26 2012, 13:36

Lucky you Steve that you already know that none of that is ever going to happen.

I agree that the chances of any of those happening are VERY slim, but there is always a chance. Round our way we have a BIG problem with pikeys breaking into peoples houses to steal their dogs, not just Staffords.

They then leave you a note saying that if you want the dog back you have to pay them a load of money.

Unfortunately when they steal a Stafford they tend to not give the option of buying them back, they either use them as 'bait' dogs to train their dogs to fight, use them to breed others to fight or they use them to fight themselves. Its a big fear of mine to be honest.

I completely agree with you that forcing people to get their dog chipped is not the most ideal way, however surely any form of permanent ID'ing of the dog is good?
Passey83
Passey83

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilsie Thu Apr 26 2012, 14:05

I agree with it and have Millie microchipped it was free here in N. Ireland and is now compulsory in order to get a dog licence. What's good enough for us should be the same for the rest of the UK. Then again look at what our cars have to go through to pass an MOT (anyone from N Ireland will know what I'm talking about) while the rest of the UK car owners can just go to the local garage. Maybe the councils over there should employ a few hundred dog wardens there's certainly no shortage of people looking for a job.
Hilsie
Hilsie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 14:42

we had a licence and no body paid for it why would we bring it out again?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:03

It's academic anyway - the government have delayed it yet again. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:57

Steve wrote:this forum wont support something that dont work we will only support things that will work sorry.

So this forum doesnt support micro-chipping?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 15:58

Hilsie wrote:I agree with it and have Millie microchipped it was free here in N. Ireland and is now compulsory in order to get a dog licence. What's good enough for us should be the same for the rest of the UK. Then again look at what our cars have to go through to pass an MOT (anyone from N Ireland will know what I'm talking about) while the rest of the UK car owners can just go to the local garage. Maybe the councils over there should employ a few hundred dog wardens there's certainly no shortage of people looking for a job.

Chuh don't talk to me about car MOT. I worked in england for bit and MOTd me car there and had to do it again when i got home! angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2