The 'growler' is now a friend

2 posters

Go down

The 'growler' is now a friend Empty The 'growler' is now a friend

Post by Floyd1138 Thu Apr 19 2012, 01:30

For the past few months whilst on walk in park, i'd regularly see buddy, a kind of beagal cross. Floyd would usually jog up to him when he was off lead and buddy would growl, snarl and sometimes give a wee warning nip. The owner couldnt apologise enough,.;. I was fine with it, treating it as part of floyds training, showing him not all dogs would greet him the same way when he jogged up to them. Him jogging up to other dogs when he is off lead is something i try to discourage but despite having a good recall, at 6 months he doesnt always listen.

It got to the stage the lady would see us in park and try to avoid us. But tonight there was about 5 owners all chatting and 7 dogs, all playing happily then buddy came along,.. off lead. Floyd was the closest dog to him and from about 20 feet away floyd seen him and instantly lay down showing signs on submission, buddy ran over to him with had a wee sniff then moved on the other dogs. 5 minutes later they were playing so nice and buddy was being very gentle with him. Both me and lady owner were so pleased !

Now perhaps this was due to floyd being in a 'pack' with all the other dogs or maybe buddy has now accepted he is ok due to floyd submitting by laying down,.. hard to say! I'd like to see what happens when its just them both together.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Big Grin
Floyd1138
Floyd1138
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

The 'growler' is now a friend Empty Re: The 'growler' is now a friend

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19 2012, 06:49

Glad they got along. We haven't really had any bad dog experiences that later turned good. Suki is a little wary of larger male dogs but only at first then they get along fine

Back to top Go down

The 'growler' is now a friend Empty Re: The 'growler' is now a friend

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 19 2012, 11:21

As you say it could have been the influence of the other dogs around him and the beagle accepting him?? Who knows
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down