help please

2 posters

Go down

help please Empty help please

Post by Ruby The Staffy Tue Dec 14 2010, 01:57

hi iv got a 10 week old puppy named ruby and i need advice please

she sort of good at weeing but sum time she misses and i shout at her is that good or bad ( i say bad girl and sum time smack her but not hard i don't wanna do that so what the best thing i can do to help her and me get through it lol i love her to bit but she can do my nut in sum times

also i feed her twice a day which i wet to make it a soft do i need to leave the food dry of not ( do i need to feed her more or not )?
plus she getting her jabs at the end of the month and i wanna start get her to use a lead but when i put it on she think it a toy lol what can i do to get her to walk ?

also when she get older what can i do to tone her to look her best ( i know it a bit early )
Ruby The Staffy
Ruby The Staffy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

help please Empty Re: help please

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 04:24

I would suggest three times a day feeding until she is about 12 weeks also dry food helps her teeth become strong. smacking will not help you in any way at all when it comes to training pack leaders don't go around slapping their pack mates,she will just learnnot to do it infront of you and become fearful of you, a good firm no, watch her body language after feeding and drinking, sniffing the ground she is looking for some where to go to the toilet so take her to the puppy pad. when you say she misses do you mean she tries to go on the puppy pad/newspaper but she is a little off in direction is so you can not correct her for this she is trying her best. pups necks are quite weak at this age i would suggest a harness until she is atleast 5-6 months old have her wear it around the house while she plays so she knows it nothing uncomfortable or frightening. when you attach the lead and she tried to bite tell her no in a good firm voice or clap your hands to make a loud noise to snap her out of that behaviour.
Toning her a good diet and plently of exercise but again you'll have to leave this until she is atleast 5-6 months old and don't take it too far little but often.5 ten minutes walks instead of one hour walk etc . as you increase her food increase her exercise

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:01

Nice one Misrouge couldn't ahve put that better myself!! Just to add make sure you take Ruby out for toilets often and plenty of praise when she gors outside.

Have a patience all the above are very normal for a 10 week puppy.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:11

Ruby The Staffy wrote:hi iv got a 10 week old puppy named ruby and i need advice please

she sort of good at weeing but sum time she misses and i shout at her is that good or bad ( i say bad girl and sum time smack her but not hard i don't wanna do that so what the best thing i can do to help her and me get through it lol i love her to bit but she can do my nut in sum times

also i feed her twice a day which i wet to make it a soft do i need to leave the food dry of not ( do i need to feed her more or not )?

plus she getting her jabs at the end of the month and i wanna start get her to use a lead but when i put it on she think it a toy lol what can i do to get her to walk ?

also when she get older what can i do to tone her to look her best ( i know it a bit early )

Right,
Please don't smack your pup or shout at her for weeing. She's only doing what comes naturally & she won't understand. Have a little patience, it'll come right in the end. Do as MissRogue sugests & she'll be fine

I would sugest feeding her at least 3 times a day, possibly even 4 times a day until at least 12 weeks and then gradually reduce one of the feeds, increasing the others slightly until you're down to 2 or 3 meals by the time she's 4 or 5 months. She'll probably find it easier to eat the dry food if it's dampened with a little luke warm water, until she's old enough to chew the bits properly.

At the moment, everything's a game for her. It's actually good that she sees the collar & lead as fun, at least she'll be happy to have them put on! Just let her drag the lead around for a while every day, and then every so often pick the end up & walk with her, wherever she wants to go. When she's used to that, you can give a slight tug on the lead & call her name in a happy voice to encourage her to go where you want her to, and reward her with plenty of praise or a treat - keep it fun & you'll have no problem when the time comes to take her out. When she's at least 6 months old you can start to walk her for longer periods & let her chase a ball aound. She'll build up her won muscles with plenty of exercise & play.

Good luck!! If you have any other questions, give us a shout!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:13

MissRouge has said it all really. I would add though that smacking is not acceptable. As said, she will just come to fear you and could become hand shy which could mean that she might defensively snap at someone just reaching out to pet her. Also you shouldnt punish a dog for house training accidents anyway, especially not a 10 week old pup. If she is going where you dont want her to go, just pick her up, tuck her tail between her legs to stop her, and put her down where you want to her to do her business. As Janey said, when she does go in the right place, give her lots and lots of enthusiastic praise so she knows that's what you want. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:15

Caryll. thats a very colourful post, like it Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:17

Thank you, I try my best to please! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:19

I can't even make mine bold let alone coloufull lol!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:21

My son taught me how to do it!!! I'm normally a cyber dunce as I've said before, it's useful having 2 teenage computer wizards in the family! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:26

Your right there!! (sorry Ruby the staffy for hijacking your post lol) Big Grin welcome to the forum though!!!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:29

Yes, sorry about that! Welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 11:21

Yes all been said
Welcome to the forum and don't worry you can never post too many questions.
Any more problems you need help with, fire away and we will do our best to help.
WELCOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby The Staffy Tue Dec 14 2010, 15:40

MissRogue as for the missing bit it sort of she will get the paper sumtimes but then she will go sum where where there is not paper and wee or poo rolling on the floor as for praising her i go crazy (happy) when she gets the right place but sometimes she gets so hypo with me when i do that that's normally when she go and miss the paper all so sumtimes she gives not sign of going Smile

Thanks for The Advice i Will Use It All
Ruby The Staffy
Ruby The Staffy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 16:16

Ruby will catch on, its just patience, some learn faster than others, she'll get there x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 18:06

Just to add my 10 pence worth. They are all different just like children and my Gizmo wasn't properly house trained until he was at least 6 months. We never told him off, we just ignored it and cleared it up (we do have wooden floors though).
Now we have a dog that is NEVER scared of us or anyone else for that matter and he is a complete joy to have. I know its a pain cleaning up wee/poo etc but they aren't puppies for long you just have to be patient. 6 months may seem like a long time now but when they are a year you will look back and wonder where the time went.
Just hang in there....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 21:44

Yes, they all mature at different speeds. Some will be mainly housetrained by 12 weeks, some not till 6 or 7 months, and even then they may have the odd 'accident'. That's how you should look at it - accidents. She isn't doing it on purpose, and certainly not to deliberately annoy you, she just doesn't quite understand yet.

If you have a garden, try taking her out to it every half an hour or so, and if she pees or poops, give her praise. Don't go overboard though, she'll just get hyper! Nice and calm, with a calm, happy voice will do fine.

If it makes you feel any better, my Dempsey was nearly 9 months old before I could really call him housetrained!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 22:07

Firstly, as many have said, DO NOT smack your pup no matter how hard or soft you are doing it. Your pup could end up hand shy by doing that.

Pups will get there in the end, my boy is 6 months old now and still has the odd accident.

At his age he should ideally be on at least 3, possibly 4 meals a day. I had deano on 4 meals up untill about 16 weeks, then went down to 3 up untill he was about 21 weeks and now he is on 2 meals a day as he just wouldn't eat his lunch time meal.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 22:50

Just want to add re the house training, your pup will need to go to the toilet as soon as she wakes from a sleep, after a play session, about 15-30 mins after eating and drinking, and every half an hour or so in between! It may seem like alot now, but it'l be worth it if you put the effort in. My pup too, is ten weeks old, and at first he was peeing and pooing everywhere and anywhere. Now I take him outside at the times specified, and he wees and poos out in the garden. I gave up with the pads/paper, he just refused to go on them. I've been taking him outside for the last three days, and he's only had two accidents in the house. It really is worth putting in that bit of extra effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15 2010, 10:57

Shontelle wrote:Just want to add re the house training, your pup will need to go to the toilet as soon as she wakes from a sleep, after a play session, about 15-30 mins after eating and drinking, and every half an hour or so in between! It may seem like alot now, but it'l be worth it if you put the effort in. My pup too, is ten weeks old, and at first he was peeing and pooing everywhere and anywhere. Now I take him outside at the times specified, and he wees and poos out in the garden. I gave up with the pads/paper, he just refused to go on them. I've been taking him outside for the last three days, and he's only had two accidents in the house. It really is worth putting in that bit of extra effort.

Good boy Charlie !!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15 2010, 20:27

Mel Skora wrote:
Shontelle wrote:Just want to add re the house training, your pup will need to go to the toilet as soon as she wakes from a sleep, after a play session, about 15-30 mins after eating and drinking, and every half an hour or so in between! It may seem like alot now, but it'l be worth it if you put the effort in. My pup too, is ten weeks old, and at first he was peeing and pooing everywhere and anywhere. Now I take him outside at the times specified, and he wees and poos out in the garden. I gave up with the pads/paper, he just refused to go on them. I've been taking him outside for the last three days, and he's only had two accidents in the house. It really is worth putting in that bit of extra effort.

Good boy Charlie !!!!!

It worked for me Shontelle I didnt use pads etc just taking Milly out all the time she does nothing in the house now

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15 2010, 20:42

I used the pads because my dad had Charlie for two weeks while he was waiting to bring him down to me and he had been paper training him. I didn't want to confuse him so tried to continue it, but he refused to use the paper so I tried pads. He wouldn't use them either so I did what I had wanted to do from the start and took him outside and he's doing really well. It's hard work and they have to be watched constantly, but it'll be worth it in the end. He's an absolute joy to have around. I love him to pieces and couldn't imagine life without him now Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum